Uniden 996XTD digital/analog scanner questions...

Status
Not open for further replies.

ka5lqj

Hi,:wink:

I have some questions about the 996 digital base/mobile. I'm sure you would have to buy some software and a cable to program the radio. That I think I can do, provided it's not written by the iD10t, that does Radio Shacks Owner's manuals, LOL! :mad: I won't go into why.

#1. When scanning a fire department series, if their pager tones or telephone autopatch is dialed, does it list those tones, by frequency on the screen? The pager tones around Shreveport, LA are ones you can actually 'hear', same for the telephone tones for the "numbers", LOL!

#2. Since this thing has over 25,000 frequency spots are they divided up into banks ?

Soon, I hope to have some scanner antennas up at 60', but when my 18 year old grandson graduates from welding school, I'll buy some oil field pipe and have him weld me up two, 125' unguyed, fully-supported towers. The scanner antennas, long-boom, vertical quads, should receive stations at least 300 miles away, LOL! I know with my dual-band J-Pole at 60', I can key and hold the 147.33 (+600) repeater in Alexandria, LA, 125 miles away.

I'll be using double-sheilded, RG-213 to most of the way up the tower, then have a flexable piece of RG-8U to hook to the "N" connectors on the antennas. Behind the scanners, I've got a couple of VHF/UHF TV amplifiers, to boost the recieve. :twisted: :lol:.

Because of my health, I no longer drive and stay inside most of the time, so scanning, short-wave, long-wave, medium-wave Dx'ing and talking on my ham radios brings me great joy.

#3. Am I going to be able to program this radio myself or do I have to have a commercial shop do it?

My time is up (going to bed), Thank you for yours,
GOD BLESS,
Best Regard,

"Buck"/KA5LQJ
Blanchard, LA.
Caddo Parish
Grid: EM-32

mibzzer15

Ok here is what I can answer for you.

#2 --- It is divided into Systems, Sites, and Groups. This explains it a little better here --> Easier to Read BCD996XT Digital Scanner Manual

Uniden does not use the GRE method of banks and channels. Uniden uses DMA memory which I personally LOVE instead of the GRE method.

And #3 --- You can program it yourself using a bunch of different programs that are available. You can use ARC-XT (my preference for programming), FreeScan (many peoples preference mainly because it is free), and BcTool ( i dont use this for programming, but I do use it for logging and recording).

There are many other programs out there too, but I think these are the more popular ones.

Link for other stuff --

Easier to Read BCD996XT Digital Scanner Manual (many people use this manual as a replacement to what little Uniden gives you out of the box.

Radioreference Wiki on the 996XT --- BCD996XT - The RadioReference Wiki

RR Wiki on software that supports Uniden DMA programming --- Uniden DMA Software Support - The RadioReference Wiki

I hope that helps you out.

ka5lqj

Thanks!,

That's what I need to know, LOL! I'll read up on things and get aquainted while I save up for the unit.

Good Lookin' airplane icon too, LOL! I have two favorites, the P-51D Mustang and the old, C-47, cargo plane. The C-47 is about my 'speed' while the Mustang D goes way to fast, LOL! It caught a lot of Folke Wolfe's lookin', LOL! Great pilots those Mustang guys!

Again, Thanks for your information.
<Salute>

GOD BLESS,
Warmest Regard,
Buck/KA5LQJ

mibzzer15

You get the cable in the box when you buy the 996 xt, you shouldnt need to buy one!

Just to clarify real quick here in case you don't know, the serial cable comes in the box. If you dont have a serial plug on your computer, you will need the USB cable, which is located here, Uniden USB Cable

Glad I could help! I would also have to say the P-51D is one of my favorites. I have an R/C model of that I fly every so often when I get the chance.

Danny6569

996 xt

Just to clarify real quick here in case you don't know, the serial cable comes in the box. If you dont have a serial plug on your computer, you will need the USB cable, which is located here, Uniden USB Cable

Glad I could help! I would also have to say the P-51D is one of my favorites. I have an R/C model of that I fly every so often when I get the chance.

I know i used to use both until i got rid of my older computer now i just use the usb plug for my newer computers, i bought it at radio shack 2 years ago.

mibzzer15

I know i used to use both until i got rid of my older computer now i just use the usb plug for my newer computers, i bought it at radio shack 2 years ago.

Crap sorry Danny6569, I meant for that to be directed to ka5lqj. I should have re worded that LOL...I just wanted to make sure that ka5lqj knew that it was only serial cable included in box.

Danny6569

996 xt

I just looked at youre link for the cable, radio shack has them right on the shelf in all their stores, its a good cable that has gold plated connectors, i cant give a cat no. because it does not have any number on it but its made by gigaware!

Status
Not open for further replies.