uniden and nascar

Status
Not open for further replies.

torsionbar

Maybe this is a question? Or maybe it's a rant? You decide! :) Why do so many models of Uniden scanners have that silly nascar logo on them? In my opinion, nascar is garbage and I really don't want anything to do with it. Why do they have to plaster this logo all over these scanners? I'm betting Uniden has to pay licensing fees and royalties to nascar in order to use their logo, which of course inflates the price of the products! They have not one, but *four* separate handheld models with nascar logo on them.

rdale

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Premium Subscriber
Actually I'm sure they are getting paid by NASCAR, which makes the scanner price less for the end user. Seems like a good idea to me, unless I'm missing something...

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
While you may not like it, NASCAR is a popular sport that involves racing enthusiasts to use scanners to listen to their favorite drivers and pit crews. The logo is a good advertising method for those enthusiasts and exposes the scanning hobby to people who may not have any idea what scanning as all about. There are plenty of other un-badged handhelds and mobiles available if you just can't live with it, not only from Uniden, but other manufacturers as well.

You could always paint over it, put your own label over it, or even think of it as the National Association of Scanner Collecting And Radios. :cool:

cpuerror

I think putting the NASCAR logo on anything makes it hilarious. Shame they had to ruin the BR330T, but at least the 346 doesn't have it.

brandon

Database Admin
I don't like it either and never understood why Nascar scanning is so popular.
Thankfully we have the option to purchase non-branded scanners.

Eng74

I think putting the NASCAR logo on anything makes it hilarious. Shame they had to ruin the BR330T, but at least the 346 doesn't have it.

A nice little bit of black electrical tape covers it nicely on the 330. NASCAR fans are known to be very brand supportive so you really can't blame Uniden for getting the logo on some radios. If you watch a race I would say that over half the fans have a scanner at a race and that can be a lot of sales. If a fan doesn't know any better and see's 2 radios one with the logo and one without which do you think they will get?

torsionbar

Ok, some very good points were made. It must be a business decision to drive revenue. I guess I'm just not into the whole branding thing. I don't wear clothes with large or obvious logos on them, and I don't like products with big logos on them either. Even if it were the brand of something I did like, I wouldn't want to wear it around. How many of you have Uniden stickers on your car? Or Uniden logo clothing? Very few if any I would suspect, despite your affinity for their products.

I'm just glad they didn't put it on the higher end models like 396xt.

JPSan

I am quite sure it just maybe because of the fact that these NASCAR branded scanners are PREPROGRAMMED with all the team freq's. The fact of the matter is there is a quite large (huge) NASCAR fan base and a whole lot of them monitor there favorite teams while at the races. SIMPLE...You don't like it oh, well. DON'T buy the scanner! Yes, it IS a NASCAR licensed ITEM. And if you go to a NASCAR race you will see that there a scanners that you can RENT..You will see a whole lot of folks with scanners at races. AND folks who want to OWN there own scanner can readily see what are NASCAR "friendly" units with the branding.

It's similar to scanner nuts that stick Motorola labels on there scanners,modify Motorola branded acessories to use with a hand held scanner, load there cars with all kinds of scanners and such for what reason?? ( SAW a LOT of SCANNER NUT JOBS/ PUBLIC SAFETY WANT A BE'S when I was a COP) Folks who love and enjoy NASCAR ARE NO DIFFERENT than folks who have 5 or more scanners and run around in PUBLIC with there handheld scanners blaring as if there in Public Safety...Same difference...Whatever FLOATS your BOAT. I can see both sides of the issue.. Sometimes it gives me a good laugh on how carried way some of you get with this monitoring hobby. Again what ever MAKES ya HAPPY! Remember to look at how YOUR perceived by others who think your weird with your scanner toys.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.