Uniden and Radio Reference

Status
Not open for further replies.

phask

Premium Subscriber
pro-bono. Having said that though said:
You must have some personal requirements as to naming, or your state DB admins must. I rarely and I do mean rarely change any name info.

kd7eir

RR does NOT charge it's customers for their own information - ALL INFORMATION contained within RR is FREELY AVAILABLE TO EVERYONE.

As for those that think it's reprehensible that RR make money in exchange for allowing scanner manufacturers to build-in the ability to automatically access and download data from RR - I suggest you speak with your WALLET and simply shun RR and all such scanners that utilize this capability.

As for those that think it's wrong for RR to take the information that is voluntarily submitted by users and utilize it for ANY purpose whatsoever, I suggest that you, too, simply shun RR and any device which makes use of such data.

There is an awful lot of RR bashing in this thread, and I have a guaranteed resolution for all of the people that are unhappy with the way that RR conducts business - shun RR and everything/everyone that affiliates with RR in even the slightest manner. NEVER submit information, NEVER use any submitted information, NEVER read the RR forums, NEVER access radioreference.com for any purpose whatsoever.

This thread is full of people that GREATLY BENEFIT by the services that RR provides, but seem to think that RR has no RIGHT to profit from that service. Put up or shut - If you can do it BETTER for FREE, then make your own site, steal all the users from RR, provide the information to the scanner manufacturers for FREE, and live in your warped little utopia. Otherwise, stop your absolutely inane, nonsensical complaining.

As for the people that INSIST that RR moderates the forums to make Uniden look good, I suggest simply that you ACTUALLY READ the forums, for then you will see that there is PLENTY of anti-Uniden material to be found here.

Yes I know (before the Cost bashing takes place) it cost to run the RR site, But charging it's own customers for it's own information should not be done, and is NOT FAIR.

blantonl

Founder and CEO
Staff member
Super Moderator
At last count (and does not reflex all the profit)
Daily Adds Revenue = $430.00
Monthly Adds Revenue = $12,905.00
Yearly Adds Revenue = $154,864.00

BIG Money is in API licensing fee for Every cellphone app for receiving streams that come from the RR.
and those numbers are NOT included in the amounts shown.

Where did you get these numbers? Because it looks like you pulled them out of thin air!

shew

RR AND UNIDEN

if it wouldn't be for radio reference i wouldn't be able to download info to my uniden homepatrols.....you're welcome

blantonl

Founder and CEO
Staff member
Super Moderator
Is there any business relationship between Uniden and RR, that might
make it slightly and (subtlely) more difficult for people to simply express
their true opinions of Uniden's products?

Just for the record, to answer the OP - there is no business relationship in place with any entity that requires, suggests, or directs us to make it difficult for someone to express their opinions of any manufacturer.

Last edited:

scanchs

Just for the record, to answer the OP - there is business relationship in place with any entity that requires, suggests, or directs us to make it difficult for someone to express their opinions of any manufacturer.

Hi Lindsay,

Did you mean to say that "there is no business relationship in place with any entity that requires, suggests, or directs us to make it difficult for someone to express their opinions of any manufacturer? :confused:

ScanCHS

QDP2012

Yes I know (before the Cost bashing takes place) it cost to run the RR site, But charging it's own customers for it's own information should not be done, and is NOT FAIR.

The RR DB is like a big warehouse and distribution center.
  • Those items that get freely donated (e.g. frequencies, talkgroups, descriptions, etc) are also freely available to anyone and everyone.

• You can bring your own car/truck to the warehouse to collect the items that you want, and do so without paying a fee to the warehouse.
    • In other words, you can read the site and program your scanner manually, without paying a fee.

• You can pay to have the items delivered to your location
    • In other words, you pay RR for a premium subscription so that you can download without difficulty, and use software (free or not) to finish delivering the data to your scanner.

• Uniden has design/built a series of scanners which use data from the RRDB.
    • That's like the same warehouse/distribution center, but with Uniden delivering not just a custom container for the items, but also a custom built delivery truck/service, which transports the items to your location, and also an administrative service which stays at your location to install the new items into your custom container, and to repeatedly pick-and-choose from the container, as you select a new zip-code, etc. to monitor.

• Since you can already get the information for free here, it seems that the information is not necessarily what is being marketed by Uniden, as much as it is the delivery system, and the customized interface that let's you pick-and-choose what to monitor.

• Of course, the delivery system would have little to no value without something to deliver. But, since the information is already free to anyone who wants to use it, the marketing must be about something else, and in this case is the delivery system/service,

In short, as others have said here, you are not paying for information; you are paying for convenient-delivery and convenient-use of said information.

Just one opinion,

digitalanalog

In short, as others have said here, you are not paying for information; you are paying for convenient-delivery and convenient-use of said information.

Just one opinion,

No, what about the profit's RR is making from the Free information all these users have given for FREE, Thats my point.

If I give you something/donate free then you inturn make profit from my donation is that a way to treat the giver of free information?

Convenient, yes, but not at the price of being taken advantage of.

And we are not talking about a couple hundred bucks here either.............

I guess it is what it is, but that DOES NOT make it right.

Why people provide live audio streams for free just to have RR turn around and make profit from it is beyond me, no matter how you look at it, it's Wrong........All day long.....Wrong.

And not to mention this is the Key Problem with this hobby, and it's why departments around the US are going encrypted......Who's to blame......,might be Feed Providers are not helping the situation, it has been mentioned before and i will just repeate it..........Digital is destroying the hobby, and anyone putting up live audio streams is just adding to it, "I can't receive so and so any more they went digital encryption.......No Kidding......You can give all the reasons in the world for why............. Stop streaming - Stop providing $$ for your FREE service, it's all tide togther to me.....

Just my thoughts.

digitalanalog

Where did you get these numbers? Because it looks like you pulled them out of thin air!

They are on the web, and they are NOT pulled out of the air, they are published facts, and this information can be obtained for any web site doing any type of web related business.

It's all out there.

Google is your friend

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber
No, what about the profit's RR is making from the Free information all these users have given for FREE, Thats my point.

If I give you something/donate free then you inturn make profit from my donation is that a way to treat the giver of free information?

Why people provide live audio streams for free just to have RR turn around and make profit from it is beyond me, no matter how you look at it, it's Wrong........All day long.....Wrong.

And not to mention this is the Key Problem with this hobby, and it's why departments around the US are going encrypted......Who's to blame......,might be Feed Providers are not helping the situation, it has been mentioned before and i will just repeate it..........Digital is destroying the hobby, and anyone putting up live audio streams is just adding to it, "I can't receive so and so any more they went digital encryption.......No Kidding......You can give all the reasons in the world for why............. Stop streaming - Stop providing $$ for your FREE service, it's all tide togther to me.....

Just my thoughts.

You obviously are dead set in your view and nothing anyone will say is going to change that, but you again are a little off here. Info is provided/submitted for free and is in turn available for free. YOU DO NOT HAVE TO PAY RR ANYTHING TO VIEW THE DB.

You can CHOOSE to pay them for the convenience of direct download into the software you choose, if you so choose. Read that again. IF YOU CHOOSE. And again, you're paying for the service, NOT the info already available free.

The feed issue...you drug something else into the discussion but it's also been discussed before in other threads. In short, some people want to provide a feed, WHICH YOU CAN LISTEN TO FREE, because they want to contribute to the available feeds and to their community. Yes, some agencies have said they are encrypting because of feeds but many others have pointed out that clever marketing by radio system salesmen, as well as default settings (I'm told), have also led to many encrypted systems being installed (or encryption being left turned on).

I know I probably just wasted my time responding because you don't want to believe anything other than what you believe now but I felt the need to respond to clarify a few things.

I'm sure I'm not the only one...

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
Here's one I found from http://www.siteratios.com/site/register.radioreference.com

Site Info
This section provides core information associated to the website which include site speed, content language, safety status and also approximate number of daily visitors to the site and estimated advertisement revenue from the site.

Title RadioReference.com - US Scanner Frequency Database
Description Provides reference information including news, local frequencies, and a wiki.
Load Time 1.312 Seconds
Site Speed
Very Fast
Content General Content
Language English
Diagnostic Status Safe
Online Since 6/5/2003
Domain Age 10 Years 11 Months 27 Days
#Owned Domains 1
Number of Visitors 35,614/Day
Ad Revenue Potential 80.13/Day 2,404/Month

Big difference between $80 and $353 which leads me to believe these estimates are not to be trusted.

digitalanalog

Here's one I found from register.radioreference.com: Website analytical review | SiteRatios.Com

Site Info
This section provides core information associated to the website which include site speed, content language, safety status and also approximate number of daily visitors to the site and estimated advertisement revenue from the site.

Title RadioReference.com - US Scanner Frequency Database
Description Provides reference information including news, local frequencies, and a wiki.
Load Time 1.312 Seconds
Site Speed
Very Fast
Content General Content
Language English
Diagnostic Status Safe
Online Since 6/5/2003
Domain Age 10 Years 11 Months 27 Days
#Owned Domains 1
Number of Visitors 35,614/Day
Ad Revenue Potential 80.13/Day 2,404/Month

Big difference between $80 and $353 which leads me to believe these estimates are not to be trusted.

So your information is to be trusted and mine is not?, why, we both got them form the web, why is your any more believable then mine?.

And I have not posted and I won't, the same info for broadcastify, which is truly where the BIG BUCKS are being made, from the live streams, FREE provided streams that is ... :)

digitalanalog

You obviously are dead set in your view and nothing anyone will say is going to change that, but you again are a little off here. Info is provided/submitted for free and is in turn available for free. YOU DO NOT HAVE TO PAY RR ANYTHING TO VIEW THE DB.

You can CHOOSE to pay them for the convenience of direct download into the software you choose, if you so choose. Read that again. IF YOU CHOOSE. And again, you're paying for the service, NOT the info already available free.

The feed issue...you drug something else into the discussion but it's also been discussed before in other threads. In short, some people want to provide a feed, WHICH YOU CAN LISTEN TO FREE, because they want to contribute to the available feeds and to their community. Yes, some agencies have said they are encrypting because of feeds but many others have pointed out that clever marketing by radio system salesmen, as well as default settings (I'm told), have also led to many encrypted systems being installed (or encryption being left turned on).

I know I probably just wasted my time responding because you don't want to believe anything other than what you believe now but I felt the need to respond to clarify a few things.

I'm sure I'm not the only one...

WOW, you have totaly missed the point, WOW.

kd7eir

YOU are benefiting from the work of other contributors to RR without giving them any remuneration, so what's the difference? You are not a SUBSCRIBER to RR, so, just like ME, you are doing NOTHING to help keep RR alive.

There are no SECRETS at RR,no one is LYING to it's users in order to get them to share information.

The solution is REALLY, REALLY SIMPLE - if you find the business practices of RR so abhorrent then STOP COMING HERE. It makes no sense whatsoever to come to a site that is 100% FREE to use, and then COMPLAINING about how that site makes money.

The only logical reason that a person would use a site for FREE and then complain that said site MAKES MONEY is that a person is not happy unless they are trash talking someone/something.

I ADMITTEDLY pay NOTHING to RR and use their services for my PERSONAL BENEFIT. The last thing I would EVER THINK of doing is trash talking the people that make this site FREE FOR MY PERSONAL BENEFIT.

As for "If I give you something/donate free then you inturn make profit from my donation is that a way to treat the giver of free information?" that is EXACTLY how most charities work - you DONATE something, they SELL IT to fund their operations. RR makes no claim to being a charity of course, but frankly, once you GIVE SOMETHING AWAY you have no RIGHT to attempt to control it's future use in any manner whatsoever.

I submitted a SIGNIFICANT amount of the information for the PCWIN system in Pima County. I could not care less what RR does with it. I, and I would guess 99.999% of the other people that contribute to the RR database, do it because we ENJOY helping others, not because we are expecting anything in return, regardless of whether RR makes a penny or a million dollars from it.

Just my thoughts.

Last edited:

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
So your information is to be trusted and mine is not?, why, we both got them form the web, why is your any more believable then mine?.

Nope, you missed the point entirely.

Neither value is to be trusted. Mine isn't anymore believable than yours and both could be totally out to lunch.

I'm sure if I searched some more, I could come up with more estimates.

Status
Not open for further replies.