Uniden and VHF...

Status
Not open for further replies.

NielsenSTL

Hello all...I'm in the process of unloading my Radio Shack Pro-197, and looking for a new scanner...something more portable. I'm hoping to find something that handles digital...but also does a better job with VHF. I listen a lot to rail/air, and the Pro-197 seems really deaf in those frequency ranges...especially out of the box. I added a simple FM Trap filter between that and my current external antenna (Traintenna Blade), but my 30 year old Radio Shack Pro-2030 is still better on VHF with just its stock, screw-in antenna. I will say the digital reception is excellent on my Pro-197, and gets everything I need around me. No complaints there.

I'm looking at something like the BCD325P2 as a replacement. Anyone have any experience with something like that as far as VHF reception is concerned? I'm sure the digital side will be fine. But I'd want something that's easy to take with me, but also does a decent job hooked up to my antenna at home getting both VHF and digital at the same time.

I'd love to keep this under $400...and I'm trying to reduce the number of scanners I have laying around. So while I'm sure two separate radios like I have now would be best...it's not ideal for me.

Thanks...Mark in Utah

NielsenSTL

The antenna with the Pro-197 isn't the issue. I can hook up my current indoor antenna, or the stock antenna on my 30-year-old analog scanner, and the VHF reception is excellent...no complaints. The Pro-197 seems to have a known issue of getting front loaded with VHF static (FM, weather frequencies) and it doesn't hear real well. The filter helped with that a little...but still it wasn't great, or even as good as my much older scanner in the VHF range. I'm hoping the Uniden does better in that frequency range...regardless of the antenna...and I can have one scanner for both digital trunking that is also decent in the VHF range.

Thanks...Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.