Uniden Base Scanner Wanted: Official Lobby Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

safetyobc

I am officially lobbying for an true Base scanner from Uniden. Actually 2 base scanners. 1 analog scanner, and 1 digital base.

They should carry all the same features (minus GPS and beartracker) as the BCT15 and BCD996T like Dynamic Memory, Multi Site Trunking, alpha tags, large memory capacity, startup configurations, temporary lockout, dual color screens, Close Call DND, etc. But they should also add TO BOTH UNITS:

• Wideband Coverage - .1 MHz to 1300 MHz - with SSB!!
  • Large LCD and Buttons (which means a larger frame scanner)
  • Large speaker(great audio)
  • Allow frequency/alpha tag/PL tone all on one screen
  • Great backlighting on keypad and LCD (with dimmer controls)
  • Analog Squelch (as analog as it can be)
  • Large VFO, squelch and volume knobs

I'm not asking for alot of new features (although I wouldn't complain if there was some). How about it Uniden?

We have a great set of handhelds BCD396T, BR330T, BC246T.

We have great mobile (base/mobile as they are called) in the BCT15 and BCD996T.

Now we need to add the base scanner series to make our collections complete!

I hereby cast my vote for a base scanner! A real base scanner! Uniden continues to suprise us with these awesome scanners, I hope the next is a Base scanner.

rwl48

I agree

If or when they do I will be one of the first to buy one.And if it had a analog signal strength meter even better.:lol:

Last edited:

hotdjdave

K9DJW - Senior Member
Database Admin
safetyobc said:
I am officially lobbying for an true Base scanner from Uniden.

We have great mobile (base/mobile as they are called) in the BCT15 and BCD996T.

Now we need to add the base scanner series to make our collections complete!

I hereby cast my vote for a base scanner! A real base scanner!
You may want to point out the differences between a base/mobile scanner and a true "base" scanner, at least what you view as the differences.

Last edited:

BoxAlarm187

Level 6 RR Member (Since 1998)
Premium Subscriber
I think that his original post indicates some of his ideas: the larger frame, larger buttons, larger volume, squelch, and VFO knobs, and a large speaker. Make sure the speaker isn't down-firing, though. :)

Remember when the 895XLT was the cat's meow?

safetyobc

hotdjdave said:
You may want to point out the differences between a base/mobile scanner and a true "base" scanner, at least what you view as the differences.

As the previous post states, larger everything! Make a true base scanner and not a base/mobile.

safetyobc

hotdjdave said:
I agree a true "base" scanner would be great. And not those tabletop scanner/alarm clock things. Something more like a scanning receiver, similar to the iCOM R9000, the iCOM R8500, or the Yaesu VR-5000.

And even a computer controlled unit like the iCOM IC-PCR2500.

Right, that is what I was getting at. A true base scanner. But more of a scanner combined with a communications receiver. Fast scan speeds like the BCD996T. Wideband coverage with SSB.

JHaislet

Why not throw in two tuners? If they make it on a larger frame, the physical costs of making the scanner will be reduced tremendously, as with electronics, the smaller you make something, the more expensive it is.
I personally would like a scanner where I can monitor the following at the same time:

1) fire tone-outs & weather
2) regular trunked traffic & weather alerts without the 2 or 5 sec clipping. 3) regular trunked traffic & fire tone-outs
4) or, best of all three, have the fire tone-outs & weather work off one receiver, leaving the other free for trunked traffic monitoring.

BTW, the above might sound crazy, but I'm a minimalist myself, and yes, I know I can have all the above if I pick up a BC330T and an inexpensive weather radio, but who likes to carry around three separate radios? :D

800crazy1

i was just thinking the same thing the other day , cant believe someone picked a great time to bring it up about a true base scanner , among everyone elses ideas they threw in , mine would be the dream machine , i know what people are gonna post after i say this , but keep in mind , while were dreaming !!!! ........LTR PASSPORT TRUNKING , MA/COM PROVOICE TRUNKING , two trunking systems which i really believe we will see with uniden first , but why not shoot for the stars , and if they do come out with this TRUE BASE SCANNER , make it with these two options included, and OPEN SKY .....another future scanner release , with a future BASE SCANNER....ok im done dreaming , it only takes a person to bring up a good idea to get the mind going .....BUT DEFINETLY A GREAT IDEA !! LISTEN UNIDEN PLEASE !!!!!

nyscan

hotdjdave said:
I agree a true "base" scanner would be great. And not those tabletop scanner/alarm clock things.

I agree...we need a true base/desktop scanner. In addition to the above mentioned features it should have the speaker on top so you dont have to use the car bracket upside down to raise the scanner. Also, the buttons, display, knobs, etc., should be on top, not the front, so you dont have to use two hands when you push a button so the scanner does not move. I have the BC278clt which is actually an excellent scanner..very sensitive and not prone to overload and it has the right design for a true base scanner. It just needs more features like tags, tones, maybe trunking, digital, etc. Could be different versions. The base/mobile scanners available now are really mobile scanners that can be used as base scanners. They are not really great for use on your desk, etc.

hotdjdave

K9DJW - Senior Member
Database Admin
nyscan said:
... it should have the speaker on top ... the buttons, display, knobs, etc., should be on top, not the front ... I have the BC278clt ... They are not really great for use on your desk, etc.
What you are describing and what the BC278clt is would be described as a table-top scanner, not a base scanner. I would understand the need for a table-top scanner and Uniden has released one recently. However, I think what people have in mind when they say they want a "true base" model scanner is something like the iCOM R8500, the Yaesu VR-5000, or possibly the AOR One. It could be more accurately described as a "scanning base receiver."

Last edited:

nyscan

Understood Dave....I just wish they included a few features like tags, tones, etc. on the new tabletops. That would satisfy me and probably a lot of people.

Grog

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
I saw leave in the GPS modes. I used a 2053 base as a mobile, and others run larger Hf rigs as mobiles as well. From a command post type of setup, it would make full use of a base-sized radio, while still being moved from point to point.

Plus the mobile home owners would like a scanner just like their house. A base, that can be mobile :D

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
Even keeping the scope to the realm of the possible (i.e. tossing out ProVoice, OpenSky, electric blender, etc) I haven't seen anyone mention a price...

safetyobc

UPMan said:
Even keeping the scope to the realm of the possible (i.e. tossing out ProVoice, OpenSky, electric blender, etc) I haven't seen anyone mention a price...

Keeping with similar features of the BCT15 minus GPS and beartracker, possibly adding a few "extra" features in for good measure, I think it should be priced similar to the BR330T, maybe slightly higher.

For Digital. I would think it would be near $550 to $580.

On a base scanner, all that has to be included is the antenna, PC Cable, and AC Adapter.

This is less accessories than is included with handhelds (like batteries, wrist strap, belt clip) or on mobiles (like DIN sleeve, DC power cables).

Whatcha think UPMan? You think this is something Uniden would possibly look into in the future?

We realize that most of these features are a huge stretch. But maybe some good features everyone agrees on. Maybe Uniden could create a poll on here and give us a list of features that are possibly to vote on? Then keep the top 2 or 3 and try to impliment them into a base scanner? Just a thought.

hotdjdave

K9DJW - Senior Member
Database Admin
UPMan said:
I would say in the $500.00 range, if it has the same features as the 330/396/996/15 minus the GPS/Bear Tracker features.

If you throw in the dual tuner (VFO) and other "base station" features (larger color LCD, spectrum analyzer, dual antenna, USB, filters, HF receive, larger/better speaker with noise filters, and all the other base station bells and whistles), I would then say $500 - $750 (depending on how many of these features are included).

For a good idea of what it could / should be like, combine many of the fetures and aesthetics of the Uniden BCD996T / BCT15 (minus GPS / BearTracker), the iCOM IC-R8500, the iCOM IC-R2500, the iCOM IC-R9000, the Yaesu VR-5000, and the AOR AR-ONE.

Last edited:

kingpin

Trailer Park Supervisor
I remember 12 years ago when I bough the Uniden BC8500XLT. It was a fine large framed base scanner. Had 25-1300 MHz coverage, alpha tags, large display and ran $360. I would love to get another base scanner with this same form factor but have the capabilities my BCD996 has. I think it could be kept in the 450 - 500 range for digital and 250 range for non digital. The technology is there, just wanting a different form factor and larger, higher quality speaker. I'd really like to see the frequency coverage my 330T has as well.

hotdjdave

K9DJW - Senior Member
Database Admin
kingpin said:
I remember 12 years ago when I bough the Uniden BC8500XLT. It was a fine large framed base scanner.
That's about all, though, just a large frame to make it look bigger. It was similar to the Uniden BC895XLT. It was like having the Uniden BC235XLT or the BC245XLT handheld, but in a base/mobile size model.

What we need from Uniden is a true base station, not a reconfigured mobile or handheld made to fit in a larger shell.

Oh yeah, and use metal, not plastic, for the frame and face.

Last edited:

nyscan

Even just adding tones and tags to the current tabletop offerings would be great and could be kept in the $200- range. Could have different versions, ie. trunking, non-trunking, etc.

safetyobc

I started this thread before I got my BCT15. Now I am happy with it as my base scanner.

Sure I would like to see wideband receive and some of the other features mentioned. But the BCT15 (and hope to get a BCD996T some day) are great base scanners.

Status
Not open for further replies.