Uniden BC125AT Screen Flickering

Status
Not open for further replies.

thetechman

Hello, I am experiencing an issue with my BC125AT. I plugged it in to one of my laptops yesterday, and wanted to program it with Scan125. I got an error from the app saying there were no COM ports on the system. So being safe, I eject the scanner and turn it on, and the screen LCD is glitching everywhere. The function buttons work fine, but I can't see exactly what I'm doing. Is there anything to consider what's going on?

Best of Railfanning and Monitoring,
Zach

N6JPA

A Ham Radio Operator With too much frequency.
Turn off the scanner. Press the following three keys: HOLD, 2 and 9 then turn on the scanner. This will do a hardware reset of the radio.

thetechman

Just did so, didn't make a difference. I wonder if the OS on the computer tried installing driver software, and messed up the software on the scanner.

thetechman

Tried this, and it is still doing the same symptom, but it is less frequent. I can see things, but it is still glitching a little bit. Do I need to reflash the firmware on the scanner?

tvengr

Well Known Member
Did you have the scanner off when you got the no com port indication. The scanner must be on to update, unlike Whistler scanners. You can try updating the firmware in case it got corrupted. Have the power on when you do it.

thetechman

I had the scanner powered on while I was working and the No COM port error showed up on the system.

thetechman

I am going to try to reinstall the firmware on the scanner. Before I do that, is it even safe to reinstall the firmware? I want to keep using it, and not brick it. Also, is there any other reason on why it is glitching out like that? It isn't as much ever since I turned down the contrast, but I want to completely remove the symptom it is experiencing.

Scan125

Scan125 when the program starts will look for available COM ports. If any are found then Scan125 sends a single command to query to each port in turn looking for the correct response. (the command is the Uniden "MDL" asking the scanner for it's model).

From what you are saying then Scan125 found no COM ports at all.

Scan125 does not attempt to install any driver software and has now knowledge of any of the commands required to flash/update any scanner firmware locations etc.

thetechman

Yes, I understand that the app won't update any of the scanners firmware. I am wondering if Windows itself was trying to install the driver software from the USB connection.

sallen07

Premium Subscriber
Yes, I understand that the app won't update any of the scanners firmware. I am wondering if Windows itself was trying to install the driver software from the USB connection.

If your scanner was off and you connected it via USB cable to your PC, then nothing Windows would have done could have affected your scanner.

This sounds very much like a hardware problem. If you never noticed it before, then it's quite likely that the physical act of plugging into the USB port caused it, either because it knocked something loose inside the scanner or because a bad solder joint was broken.

Reloading the firmware can't hurt, but it is highly unlikely to fix the issue.

thetechman

Yeah, just tried the flashing of the firmware update again, and noting happened. I was able to figure out the COM Port error though, there wasn't a driver installed. Any other suggestions to fix this? I don't want to buy another scanner, and really want to fix this annoying issue

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Try reseating the display ribbon cables. If that doesn't help, it's either repair or replacement time.

thetechman

What's the cost for a repair? All I did was plug it into a computer, and once I unplugged it, it started to do this. I don't understand why the screen would be glitching when all I did was plug the USB cable in.

Scan125

Well the action plugging a cable in will apply some force to the circuit boards inside. This could be enough to disturb a connection that was going to fail at some time anyway.

As suggested you can remove the batteries and open the case up and have a look at the connections/cables inside. I've never looked inside my UBC125XLT so can't say what you will find (other than electronics).

Before you venture inside I would do some gentle slap tests with the scanner powered on and watch the display. Same whilst plugging in the usb cable (not connected at the other end) and wobbling it about a little. Both of these tests will help indicated if it is a dodgy connection.

thetechman

Whenever I turned the scanner this morning, I didn't see a screen at all. I am now starting to wonder if it is a ribbon cable that became loose, or something on the circuit board failed. I did all of the tests Scan125 just mentioned, and nothing changed.

Status
Not open for further replies.