• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Uniden BC23A Speaker Power Option?

Status
Not open for further replies.

OK956

I did a search here the best I could and could not seem to find an answer. So this will likely be quicker.

Ordered the BC23A amplified speaker. Was surprised when I saw it comes with two wires which must have the positive wired into a fuse box port that will operate along with ignition on/off. I guess I'm spoiled and was expecting a cigarette plug adapter.

Instructions say that a DC24V is not supported. I'm guessing a cig outlet would probably be DC24V so soldering the wires into a cig adapter not an option?

Is my only option or the easiest just to power it as the instructions say? Negative to a bolt grounded to chassis and positive to the fuse box?

I'm guessing a cig outlet would probably be DC24V so soldering the wires into a cig adapter not an option?
Most American cars are 12V. NOT 24 Volt

Power it off the 12 Volt from the fuse box and negative to ground.

OK956

Most American cars are 12V. NOT 24 Volt

Its definitely American. It's a Dodge Charger. If modifying to a cig adapter will work and not blow anything up I think I'd rather go route. Wiring to the fuse panel may be easier, I'm just not familiar with doing that and worry I'll screw something up in the electrical system.

OK956

Whatever works for you. (y)

Thanks. Started with the hardwire option by placing a spade on the positive and then onto a positive terminal with a 10 amp fuse and ground to a chassis bolt. For some reason no power.

Went with the cig adapter.

Speaker is not as loud as I expected though. BCD325P2 cranked to max as is speaker. Little better but not as loud as I expected considering I have to max out both volume knobs. Oh well. Perhaps the Uniden scanner has a volume impedance.

The auto power shut off is also annoying. Horrible feature. I know it can be disabled by placing a resistor on the circuit board but that is beyond my know how at the moment.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
Speaker is not as loud as I expected though. BCD325P2 cranked to max as is speaker. Little better but not as loud as I expected considering I have to max out both volume knobs. Oh well. Perhaps the Uniden scanner has a volume impedance.

That's because you're using a headphone jack. Not much you can do about that considering that's all it has. If your vehicle has Bluetooth capability consider using a Bluetooth transmitter and listening via the vehicles audio system!

OK956

That's because you're using a headphone jack. Not much you can do about that considering that's all it has. If your vehicle has Bluetooth capability consider using a Bluetooth transmitter and listening via the vehicles audio system!

Yeah I was afraid it was the jack rating.

I do have bluetooth in the car. I might have to check that out!

Seems like I have came across something on the forum about someone being able to bypass the limits of the headphone jack. Don't remember the specifics though and seems there was some concerns about overload.

The amplified speaker is better than the stock one. Just not as much as I expected.

Status
Not open for further replies.