Uniden BC245XLT Trunk Tracker -- HELP!

Status
Not open for further replies.

kpl1228

I need help guys...first time on the forum here.
I bought a used Trunk Tracker II unit on Ebay... after charging, before I did anything I "reset the unit" to clear it all out (pressed man/2/9 at once) but now, other than a very local weather signal, I get nothing. Most notably, my squelch does not work at all..........hisses all the time. I bought this particular scanner because of the rave reviews and because I'm a rookie at all of this.
Any ideas for troubleshooting and/or resetting, or did I buy a lemon?
HELP!

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
This doesn't sound good - the squelch not working is a very bad sign - does it accept any programming? Try putting in a couple of 150 or 160 mhz frequencies (the manual is quite easy to find) to see if they will be accepted. If it's just the squelch, it might be repairable - if it doesn't accept programming, much as I hate to say it, it may well be a lemon. As with anything on eBay, caveat emptor....73 Mike

[edit] Additional: A lot of places in Ohio, including the MARCS statewide system, I know use digital - and the 245 won't even come close to cutting it there. You might want to check out our database and see what is scannable using an analog-only scanner like the 245. If there isn't much, it might be time to cut your losses and save your pennies for a digital scanner.

Last edited:

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
This doesn't sound good - the squelch not working is a very bad sign - does it accept any programming? Try putting in a couple of 150 or 160 mhz frequencies (the manual is quite easy to find) to see if they will be accepted. If it's just the squelch, it might be repairable - if it doesn't accept programming, much as I hate to say it, it may well be a lemon. As with anything on eBay, caveat emptor....73 Mike

[edit] Additional: A lot of places in Ohio, including the MARCS statewide system, I know use digital - and the 245 won't even come close to cutting it there. You might want to check out our database and see what is scannable using an analog-only scanner like the 245. If there isn't much, it might be time to cut your losses and save your pennies for a digital scanner.

The speaker mute option is off. Check if you have that option in the menu otherwise you need BC245XLT software or use a terminal program such as hyperterm and send a MUA command & Enter key.

EDIT:
The speaker mute option has three choices: Mute automatic, Mute on, and Mute off. It should be set to Mute automatic.

Last edited:

pmstern

Hi,
I have a BC246T that I recently bought on Ebay as well. I have been having fun with it. I think the 245 and 246 are similar, if it is, when you reset the radio, you wiped it clean of all programming, even the frequencies that come with it when you buy it new. My radio came blank and I was also worried something was wrong when I could hear nothing but the weather..

I learned to program it and I have added many frequencies as well as trunked systems as well. This website is a great resource for frequencies in the database.

Good luck.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
No they are totally different radios - the 245 was made in the early 80s, before DMA became generally known to the public 73 Mike

SCPD

QRT
I need help guys...first time on the forum here.
I bought a used Trunk Tracker II unit on Ebay... after charging, before I did anything I "reset the unit" to clear it all out (pressed man/2/9 at once) but now, other than a very local weather signal, I get nothing. Most notably, my squelch does not work at all..........hisses all the time. I bought this particular scanner because of the rave reviews and because I'm a rookie at all of this.
Any ideas for troubleshooting and/or resetting, or did I buy a lemon?
HELP!

Turn on the radio and turn the squelch all the way to the right. Slowly turn the squelch to the left until the hiss stops. If you turn it all the way to the left & the radio still hisses then your radio is malfunctioning. Uniden has a flat rate repair service for radio scanners of $50.

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
Turn on the radio and turn the squelch all the way to the right. Slowly turn the squelch to the left until the hiss stops. If you turn it all the way to the left & the radio still hisses then your radio is malfunctioning. Uniden has a flat rate repair service for radio scanners of $50.

Before the BC245XLT is sent in, I would check that the mute option is set to automatic and not off.

I did a Google search for BC245XLT and found it's very similar to the BC780XLT that I have. I turned the mute option to off and sure enough, the squelch noise is heard regardless of the squelch knob position.

kpl1228

Thanks all...I'll check the squelch issue out as well as a possible Uniden repair.
Also, the reception with mine is horrible. I get nothing but a weather station 5 mi down the road. Bought a used Radio Shack Pro-135 today and the Pro-135's reception is wonderful..... lots of everything.
I am convinced the Uniden I bought used is a lemon.

Status
Not open for further replies.