Uniden BC246T Defective (or "Defective" User?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

lmiller778

Hope you can help. Purchased this scanner & received a few days ago. I may have done something wrong or there may actually be a problem with it.

I am prety good technially - I do support for webs apps as well as software & hardware. Sooo.

I live in No. VA, so the systems preprgrammed are of no use. I used the Butel ARC246 software & RR to program the Fairfax Co. Pub. Safety systems. For TalkGroups I chose Police, Fire & Sheriff. Everything seemed to go as it was supposed to (based on what the ARC manual said & what I have been able to gleam.)

Problem: when I turn it on, it will start scanning (screen will say [name of system] ID Scan). Sometimes I get an ID, a group # will flash, and I will get various grunts, groans, buzzes & yes static. Tried the squelch. Made no difference. No voices, just noises. Tried holding. When I go to Menu\Search for...\Service Search I have been able to listen to some local Ham transmissions. I tried Public Safety & let it scan until it got to the primary control channel for Fairfax PubSafety, and then pressed hold. Same static interupped by grunt, flutters, bumps, etc. About the only thing I can hear is the Weather. Frustrating!

Did I screw up when I programmed, do you think? Perhaps I need to wipe what I put in, plus what was pre-programmed (TX, CA, etc.) I have tried moving near a window, etc. No difference.

I appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks!
Lisa

Eng74

Looking at the Database Fairfax County's system is digital so the the 246 will not work with it. You will need a digital scanner. So the grunts, groans, and buzzes are right for that scanner on that system. Look to part with about $500 for a digital scanner.

lmiller778

Good Grief!

I verified that! Waste of money time & sanity. Just wanted to kepp an eye on some of the increase in crime in my area.

The one thing that I missed was the disclaimer that it was digital. Maybe it's not too late to return the thing. Sheesh!

Thanks for getting back to me...

lmiller778

Sorry all if I sounded like I was going off, crying or whining. Long week at work, and I could kick myself for missing that one little dirty word : digital.

But if I trade up to a digital, I will be good right?

Eng74

From what I see in the database yes any of the Uniden, GRE, or Radio Shack digital scanners will work on that system. You might also want to check in the VA forum with others who scann that system just to make sure.

Haley

Lisa, I just got a RS PRO-96 a couple of days ago. It has a whole folder (10 banks) of pre-programmed DC-VA systems (digital and analog) in it. Fairfax, Arlington, Alexandria and DC----and a few others. It might save you some time programming , if you went that route. As others have said though ,I would check in the VA. forum to make sure how the systems are set-up. Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.