Uniden BC246T Questions/AR246

Status
Not open for further replies.

sfgiantsradio

I recently got a 246T. I used the Butel software to program some local trunking ids. When I monitor the channels, I hear nothing. It also says "Findinf CtrlChan" on the screen. The same id (primarily listened to) is already pre-programmed in the scanner, and it will receive. Is there something I'm doing wrong

Also, I am looking for a good base antenna for a price under $100, preferably a discone. Any suggestions?

Anything I should "be aware of" when using/programming the 246T?

Thanks a lot!

torontokris

Premium Subscriber
"Finding CtrlChan" means it cant hear the control channel.. no reception.

weird that you can get it with the programmed systems... is it possible they are using another tower location? Is the system a multi site system?

double check your frequencies in the scanner
-ARC has been known to output the wrong control channels sometimes (esp older versions)
-id suggest bandplan as well but it appears that your scanner cant get the CC the bandplan wont effect that.

You can also try FREESCAN ScanNow.org - The Home of FreeSCAN! its a free programming software, try it and if ARC was the problem then that should solve it.

RadioShack sells a discone for $75
RadioShack® Outdoor Scanner/Ham Discone Antenna - RadioShack.com
There are probably better units for sale at scanner stores,
Scanner Master - Police Scanners by Uniden Bearcat, AOR and Radio Shack.

but higher prices

sfgiantsradio

I don't know too much about the system . I am new to Trunk Tracking, but not scanning itself. All I inputed in the software is the id, is there a place to put the 800mz freq? I also read the scanner to see how the factory programmed freqs are setup. They entered the same id as I did.

The Radio Shack Base antenna got lots of bad reviews I think. Scanner Master does not have a place for reviews, so I don't really want to take my chances. Any links to an eham.net review of a base scanner antenna under $100?

Thanks

torontokris

Premium Subscriber
Yes youd need to put the FREQUENCIES for sure .
Just having the ID wont do anything.

Trunktracking means many users share say 10 frequencies (instead of having each to themselves).. then the scanner "trunks" / jumps to the frequency they are on when that ID comes up.

I suggest asking someone in your local state forum for a file for your area to get you started, or upgrading to a premium membership on this site then you can download the frequencies directly into the software from this website.

Or worse case stick with the pre-programmed system and lock out what you dont need

torontokris

Premium Subscriber
You can even import the Uniden pre-programmed system (from your scanner now) into your software and take a look at it to see what it looks like..

save it then make some changes if you wish

sfgiantsradio

Let me try some stuff over the next week or so and we'll see if I can fix it. I am a premium subscriber-feed provider. I guess my "badge" is not shown because the feed is not online.

Thanks

pmstern

Trunking on a BC246T

Are you sure you entered the frequencies in the correct order? I have a "246" and i recently programmed my first trunked system and it worked perfectly. I programmed it manually through the radio but I remember that I had to input the frequencies in a particular order.

Paul

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
There is no "order" in a DMA scanner. He didn't enter any frequencies at all...a perfect inhibitor to scanning.

sfgiantsradio

How do I know which freqs to program. The database just provides a list. I am using the ARC246. dou I use the virtual control?

sfgiantsradio

I've always monitored conventional, easy easy easy. I want to listen to Alameda County trunked, primarily Fremont.

rvictor

You need to enter at least the frequencies shown in blue and red in the database. Unless you are short of memory, I'd enter them all since you are then covered even if the system subsequently changes control frequencies.

You mentioned entering the id, but I don't recall that there is any place to enter the id on that scanner. The id can be useful in identifying an unknown system, but other than that, I'm not aware of any particular use for it in connection with Uniden scanners. In any event, you need the frequencies.

Dick

pmstern

Entering My Trunked system

What I did, and it worked successfully with my BC246T, after I set up and entered the frequencies for the trunked system, I them let the radio find the IDs.

I had the radio do an ID search and store, which you can initiate through the programming menu and then select the trunked system to search. Whatever IDs it finds, it stores in a group called Found.

rvictor

Sorry, but I misread the original post.

The talkgroup IDs certainly are programmable for trunked systems. By entering them, you can use ID Scan and limit what you hear to just those talkgroups that you have entered. Otherwise you can use ID Search and the scanner will allow you to hear all of the talkgroups.

Sorry for the confusion.

You might want to look at the Diamond discone. I've got one and it is very well made and has survived the ice and snow of a number of Wisconsin winters with no problems. Where you are it should last forever +.

Dick

Last edited:

sfgiantsradio

No problem, that's alright. I still have to enter freqs though, I don't know where to locate the entering area in the software. Butel ARC246.

captclint

Mentor
No problem, that's alright. I still have to enter freqs though, I don't know where to locate the entering area in the software. Butel ARC246.
In ARC256, you select File New trunk system. On the right plane, select the type of trunk system under general tab, then enter frequencies under the that tab. Then click on a group on the left plane and enter you TGID's

mdickerson17

in the arc246 software selct new system, under general select which type of trunking system you want to moniter (eg: 800mhz standard, 800mhz custom, etc.) then on the top right next to where it says general click on the tab that says, (trunk frequencies) under that input the control channels, ONLY the control channels! then to the left select group 1 and in group 1 input the tgid's and your problem should be solved!

mdickerson17

Nope you should be good just check to see if the system your monitoring is rebanded and if it is than use 800mhz custom, I made that mistake the first time I programmed my scanner. But other than that you should be good to go! Let me know if it works and happy scanning!

Status
Not open for further replies.