Uniden BC296D Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

tazluv690

NC_MAN
hello my name is Eric and I have a uniden BC296D and I'm trying to find a software to use with windows 10 Home edition. I downloaded the software from Uniden but it says that its no remotely capable so i'm not sure if this cable i have works. I just bought of e-bay its a uniden 4-pin. It plugs in my scanner perfectly and the other end is a usb. When i plug it in i hear it make a ding noise so i know its getting power but i can't seem to get it to work on my laptop and suggestion on what to do to fix this issue any help will be much appeciated.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
ProScan supports your scanner for programming, and will work with Windows 10. There is a thirty day free trial, so you can download it & see if your cable will connect to the PC & ProScan.

When you connect the cable, and hear the 'ding' as Windows sees a new device has been connected, try going to the Devices link (under Settings), and see if it shows the scanner as connected. or if it says "unknown".

This is from the Devices screen on my laptop, and shows the port being used by my SDS200. I have it connected to the PC, with ProScan logging what is being received.

tazluv690

NC_MAN
what cable do i need to be compatible with my BC296D? This is very frustrating sometimes.. thanks for all the help im getting from you all..its amazing..

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
I suspect this will be a 2 part cable - here's a possibility for the original serial-based cable...

Now since Win10 machines don't have serial ports, (I am WAGging here) that you will need a USB-serial cable, with possibly a gender changer for the serial jack. I will wait for other 296D owners to pipe up...Mike

lebrunmn

Retired... Get off my lawn!
Premium Subscriber
Mike is right... You need to add a USB Serial Adapter to your Win10 machine. Here's what I use to keep my BC796D & BC296D working like champs:
USB Serial adapt.jpg

tazluv690

NC_MAN
So Im new to all this stuff.I just joined the RR 360. If I buy one of these cables for my Uniden 296D for my laptop running windows 10 Home edition I know the USB will hook to my laptop but the other end want hook to my scanner....Do I need to buy a adapter for te other end for the scanner?

tazluv690

NC_MAN
so i would need to purchase two cables then right.. I lost my cable that came with my scanner.. So i will need the RS232 cable for the scanner and the other cable you posted to connect them together?

lebrunmn

Premium Subscriber
so i would need to purchase two cables then right.. I lost my cable that came with my scanner.. So i will need the RS232 cable for the scanner and the other cable you posted to connect them together?
Correct. One programming cable for the scanner that fits the proprietary connector on the scanner--that's the cable that Mike referenced in Post #6 and another USB Serial Adapter cable to connect to the USB port on your Win 10 computer that I referenced in Post #7. Those cables will connect together.

After that, you'll need to download some programming software--Pro Scan will work just fine--to program the scanner.

One more point: If you're looking to monitor Wake County with the BC296D, you'll have to input some custom tables when you program the system--follow the instructions for those tables here: Wake County Trunking System, Various, North Carolina - Scanner Frequencies

It will definitely be a learning experience... but if you use the Pro Scan software, the folks on this site can help you with the programming.

Let us know how you make out.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
3 points - you will need a serial junction of some kind to join the 2 cables together. The kind of junction will largely depend on which USB cable you buy, but it's likely that you will need a junction with 2 female DB9s on it to do this

The other is the custom table for your trunk system. As long as your 296d has been updated for rebanding, you won't need to do any firmware updates. Uniden has the necessary firmware to enable this on their website...

This is necessary, unfortunately, because out of the box, the 296D couldn't handle rebanding....

And lastly, ProScan will download the necessary custom tables automatically.

Mike

tazluv690

NC_MAN
Correct. One programming cable for the scanner that fits the proprietary connector on the scanner--that's the cable that Mike referenced in Post #6 and another USB Serial Adapter cable to connect to the USB port on your Win 10 computer that I referenced in Post #7. Those cables will connect together.

After that, you'll need to download some programming software--Pro Scan will work just fine--to program the scanner.

One more point: If you're looking to monitor Wake County with the BC296D, you'll have to input some custom tables when you program the system--follow the instructions for those tables here: Wake County Trunking System, Various, North Carolina - Scanner Frequencies

It will definitely be a learning experience... but if you use the Pro Scan software, the folks on this site can help you with the programming.

Let us know how you make out.
I just wanted to say thank you for all your help its been a pleasure.. Im ordering those two cables today from amazon..In the mean while as i wait for them Im going to purchase Pro Scan as you mentioned.. Ive had this scanner for years and its never been programmed like it supposed to be like.. Thanks again for all your help much appericated

lebrunmn

Premium Subscriber
Taz-

When you get your cables and software squared away, give this file a try via Pro Scan--there's way more to listen to in Wake County, but this should get you started for your town. Just make certain to rename the file to Wake County.xml--I had to rename it as a .txt to attach it here.

Good luck!

Attachments

• Wake County.txt
    654.1 KB · Views: 9

tazluv690

NC_MAN
Taz-

When you get your cables and software squared away, give this file a try via Pro Scan--there's way more to listen to in Wake County, but this should get you started for your town. Just make certain to rename the file to Wake County.xml--I had to rename it as a .txt to attach it here.

Good luck!
Thank you very much I just ordered my cables from amazon so i should get them Wensday

lebrunmn

Premium Subscriber
Taz-

Did you load the drivers for both cables before plugging them in? That's essential. Sorry--you may know this already, but I just want to be certain. Win 10 did not automatically find the appropriate drivers for me--I had to load them.

tazluv690

NC_MAN
Taz-

Did you load the drivers for both cables before plugging them in? That's essential. Sorry--you may know this already, but I just want to be certain. Win 10 did not automatically find the appropriate drivers for me--I had to load them.
well dANG IT thats going to be the problem I dont have a CD rom on my laptop so i guess i will have to go to the web to look for them

Status
Not open for further replies.