Uniden BC350 & Dodge Charger

MrBungle

Did over a decade as a LEO. Hated every second.
Premium Subscriber
Lucky for me, my county simulcasts to VHF at 155.595 for dispatch main. We have 155.4300 for fire tones and a couple of other channels still in use. I took out my old Pro-433 (it's acting up) and put in smaller Bearcat 350A I just bought for $40. I have an antenna on my trunk.

One question, and this is true with all of my scanners- 155.595 is always broken and choppy. 155.430 and others are clear and strong- all from the same dispatch center. Should I use a signal amp or something? What helps?

Next up is I'm ditching the column shifter and installing the regular 5 speed setup, so that open space will be gone and back to a shifter there. This is my '17 Pursuit.

Uniden1.JPG

console1.JPG

back01.JPG

RFI-EMI-GUY

It is hard to say. You say both frequencies emanate from same dispatch center, however the actual transmitters may be somewhere else. Perhaps your trunk mounted antenna is insufficient or there is noise in the vehicle that overcomes that frequency.

hill

Premium Subscriber
Virginia State Police tested a charger, since they wanted a car rather than SUV.

They found a lot of interference to their VHF radio system. So much they couldn't use this vehicle for their Troopers and in the end went to Ford PI SUV.

You most likely can find something on this report online.

ve1sef

Tidy job, looks good, If down the road you decide to go up to a digital scanner. Metra make an after market bezel
that will fit were your scanner sits; that will accommodate a single din model
(BCD996/536 or the equivalent Whistler/GRE/Radio Shack scanners)

MrBungle

Premium Subscriber
Virginia State Police tested a charger, since they wanted a car rather than SUV.

They found a lot of interference to their VHF radio system. So much they couldn't use this vehicle for their Troopers and in the end went to Ford PI SUV.

You most likely can find something on this report online.

I did some checking and I see it's a thing, but not specifically a Charger thing.

In addition, this happens on all of my scanners, handheld or not.

Last edited:

MrBungle

Premium Subscriber
Not to digress from the topic. But, I've had 2 chargers there were some consistent birdies around 153.900-154.000, 154.600-154.800. Nothing the attenuator setting couldn't fix.

No digressing was done, the information is relevant to the topic, thanks for the information!

MrBungle

Premium Subscriber
Tidy job, looks good, If down the road you decide to go up to a digital scanner. Metra make an after market bezel
that will fit were your scanner sits; that will accommodate a single din model
(BCD996/536 or the equivalent Whistler/GRE/Radio Shack scanners)
Those are soo nice, I'd be down for that in my car also.

I'm going to order a Motorola external speaker also, and mount it somewhere hidden.

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber
Since it says South I'm going to guess it's just because it's farther away. As someone else eluded to, the tower that is transmitted from could be miles away (I haven't researched it to see what locations are mentioned in the license).

Or, it could be something in the car interfering with that specific frequency as someone else mentioned. Hard to know for sure when we aren't there, of course.

MrBungle

Premium Subscriber
Since it says South I'm going to guess it's just because it's farther away. As someone else eluded to, the tower that is transmitted from could be miles away (I haven't researched it to see what locations are mentioned in the license).

Or, it could be something in the car interfering with that specific frequency as someone else mentioned. Hard to know for sure when we aren't there, of course.

Yeah I'm not sure still, but I just deal with it. Their PSAP is about two miles away from my place, their antenna is also there. I'm not that far.

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber
Right. Well, I can be standing in the parking lot of the PSAP here but the transmitter is 18 miles southwest, right on the county line (still in range in this case but my point is, as was pointed out by RFI-EMI-GUY, the location of the PSAP is kind of irrelevant in regard to where the actual RF is being transmitted from the repeater.) Again, hard to know for sure without being there but if it's still readable then I guess you're good.

That said, I guess you could try monitoring the repeater input (so, the frequency the radios actually transmit into the repeater) and see if you receive that one better. The db shows that to be 159.150 for the 155.595 "Sheriff South" one.

MrBungle

Premium Subscriber
Right. Well, I can be standing in the parking lot of the PSAP here but the transmitter is 18 miles southwest, right on the county line (still in range in this case but my point is, as was pointed out by RFI-EMI-GUY, the location of the PSAP is kind of irrelevant in regard to where the actual RF is being transmitted from the repeater.) Again, hard to know for sure without being there but if it's still readable then I guess you're good.

That said, I guess you could try monitoring the repeater input (so, the frequency the radios actually transmit into the repeater) and see if you receive that one better. The db shows that to be 159.150 for the 155.595 "Sheriff South" one.
Good call, I’ll try that. Even just now I heard traffic on 155.430 and it was super strong versus 155.595. I know they broadcast from their center, when I was a deputy I almost worked there part time as a dispatcher. But I’ll try the input and see what happens or how clear it is.