Uniden BC355C Post-Release Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
No, but it does have close call. That's a great addition to this series of radio.

cpuerror

Looks interesting. The first that struck me that the vol/sql controls are on the right side, very unusual departure from the norm convention of having them on the left. Makes sense though, if you mount it mobile they will be easier to see if they are on the left. It could be marketed as an inexpensive, compact and easy to use scanner for people who just want a basic scanner.

kd7ckq

What I would buy in a heart beat is the same form factor with BC246T internals. The 246T screen would fit in the front if they don't bevel the front. Don't do the GPS think. If you need GPS get the BCT15 series. But a small form factor mobile with a screen like the 246T and does Analog Trunking Unit ID's. I would buy a several. Just me wishing.

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
Having the knobs on the right side is nothing new.
This case design goes back years and years when it started with the BC350a. I have a couple of the 350A's and their biggest drawback is the fact you can't key in a frequency. You have to search a range until you come across the frequency. So if I wanted to enter 460.150Mhz I would have to pull up the 450Mhz-470Mhz search range and wait for it to search through 10Mhz either direction before the 460.150Mhz would be able to be entered into memory. Add to the fact your 1 programmable bank only had 20 memory spots. I guess it is a decent enough unit to sit on one frequency but usability otherwise was horrible.
Marshall KE4ZNR

jaymatt1978

I don't understand why they make these scanners any more. Ok you don't need trunking and people can live without alpha-tag, but scanners with 6.25 Khz and 7.5 Khz should have PL/DPL or else you get major inteference issues

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
The upgrades are:

More channels
Ability to turn on multiple services
Temporary Lockout
Close Call with DND

And, it is now post-release.

kskarma

A very useful package.....

I just got my new BC-355C...and have been using it for about a day now... It will be installed in my van, replacing a BC-700 that has been there for a few years.

These pre-programmed Bearcat units are just great if you travel a lot as they give you a good chance at hearing a lot of scan-action without doing a lot of re-programming. I have a BCT-8 in the van as well, so the combo of features of these two will allow me to follow much of the radio traffic in many areas.

I like the way you can link some..or all...of the pre-programmed bands and I am sure the CloseCall will come in handy at times too. Great to see that it has "Do Not Disturb" as an option. I have never liked using "Priority" features primarily because of the interruptions...usually exactly at a critical word or phrase!

This looks like a lot of scan-power in a small, inexpen$ive box.. As soon as the foot of snow allows, I will want to take it on the road...!!

Status
Not open for further replies.