BC796D: Uniden BC796D RS-232 Remote Control Help Needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimc

Greeting All,

I purchased a used BC796D and have been trying to get it to talk to ARC250 and the Uniden Software over the RS-232 interface. None of the manuals I found go into any detail involving the RS-232 setup. I verified that the port speeds matched the scanner, Windows Device Driver Port setting etc. I am using Windows 10 with a USB Serial Interface. I tested the USB adapter using an old Kantronics Ham Radio TNC and there are no issues using PuTTY and the USB cable to the TNC to communicate back and forth so it's not a hardware or Windows issue. I have also tried running both programs as administrator which made no difference. Attached is a screen shot of the error message.BC796D_Comm_Error_070122.JPG

I'm thinking that the RS-232 chip might have been damaged by the previous owner but before I order the chip and replace I thought I would reach out to this group to see if there is a trick to using the BC796D RS-232.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks, Jim N4WFP

kruser

Premium Subscriber
I believe you need a Null modem adapter which basically swaps the TX and RX data lines and possibly two of the handshake signal lines if they are used.

And of course 57600 is the fastest baud rate the 796 will support but it sounds like you did confirm that stuff.

tvengr

Well Known Member
For the BC796D, a null modem adapter is not required. It is needed for cloning scanner to scanner. On the scanner, press MENU. Scroll to 3: SYSTEM OPTION and press E. Scroll to 5: PC CONTROL and press E. Scroll to 6: 57600 bps and press E. Connect computer to scanner. On ARC250, go to the BC796D tab (It may show a different model). Click on Rs232 Communication and Scanner Model Setup. Select Model BC796D. Select Baudrate of 57600. Click on AutoDetect. Click on OK to close the popup window. Another window will pop up saying that ARC250 has successfully detected your scanner. Click on OK. Comport will change to the proper number. Click on OK to close Rs232 Setup window. Computer will now communicate with scanner. I just verified this procedure works using ARC250 and a BC796D. I am now using a Windows 11 computer. It also worked on Windows 10. To check the firmware version in the BC796D, turn off the scanner. While pressing the 2, 4, and 9 buttons, turn on the scanner. The firmware version will be displayed. The latest version is 3.60 which is needed to support rebanding. Be aware that the BC796D does not support 700 MHz frequencies. It was manufactured before that band came available. If you frequently see CARD ERROR, there is a firmware update for the digital card to eliminate that problem. The digital card has its own firmware.

Last edited:

kruser

Premium Subscriber
For the BC796D, a null modem adapter is not required.

If you frequently see CARD ERROR, there is a firmware update for the digital card to eliminate that problem. The digital card has its own firmware.
Thanks for clarifying that a null modem cable or adapter is not needed for scanner to computer comms on this model. Mine is buried in a rack and not easy to check it.

It's been so long since I'd bought my 796 but I do recall the firmware for the P25 card. I forget if there's a way to see the cards FW version from the scanners display however. I'm sure I would have made sure mine was updated but it escapes me how you determine the cards current version.
Any ideas on that?

tvengr

Well Known Member
I forget if there's a way to see the cards FW version from the scanners display however. I'm sure I would have made sure mine was updated but it escapes me how you determine the cards current version.
Any ideas on that?
I don't know how to check the firmware version of the digital card. If you don't frequently see CARD ERROR, it is safe to assume you have the new firmware. That was a constant occurrence in our newsroom prior to the update. I have the updater and the instructions for installing the new card firmware.

kruser

Premium Subscriber
I don't know how to check the firmware version of the digital card. If you don't frequently see CARD ERROR, it is safe to assume you have the new firmware. That was a constant occurrence in our newsroom prior to the update. I have the updater and the instructions for installing the new card firmware.
I've never seem the card error message but I'm pretty sure my card did need the FW upgrade when I bought the thing.

I'm thinking you need to run the cards firmware updater to determine which version your card has on it. I don't think it was available info from the scanners display.
It would have been nice back when that and the other models that used the P25 card could have displayed the cards FW version for those that have problems making things work like the cards FW updater!

Actually, if I'm not mistaken, I did need to update my cards FW in order to track a VHF P25 system here (MOSWIN). Heck, it's been so long and I have so many radios that things really become confusing in the old brain.

tvengr

Well Known Member
I just got my scanner out again to refresh my memory. In the MENU, you had to go to SYSTEM OPTION and P-25 CARD and DISABLE the card and then ENABLE the card again to clear the error. The firmware update's purpose was to correct the CARD ERROR problem.

jimc

Ok thanks for the help. You confirmed that I had taken the correct steps. I believe likely the RS-232 port is not functional on the scanner.

Both ARC250 and the Uniden program can't communicate with the scanner. I have a RS-232 breakout/status unit attached and can see the computer trying to communication with the scanner. I verified that the USB to RS-232 cable is working with another device.

There is an RS-232 SMD chip on the board behind the DB-9 connector but that's some delicate work. The chip is available but I might take the $79 Uniden flat rate repair.

Thanks,
Jim

For the BC796D, a null modem adapter is not required. It is needed for cloning scanner to scanner. On the scanner, press MENU. Scroll to 3: SYSTEM OPTION and press E. Scroll to 5: PC CONTROL and press E. Scroll to 6: 57600 bps and press E. Connect computer to scanner. On ARC250, go to the BC796D tab (It may show a different model). Click on Rs232 Communication and Scanner Model Setup. Select Model BC796D. Select Baudrate of 57600. Click on AutoDetect. Click on OK to close the popup window. Another window will pop up saying that ARC250 has successfully detected your scanner. Click on OK. Comport will change to the proper number. Click on OK to close Rs232 Setup window. Computer will now communicate with scanner. I just verified this procedure works using ARC250 and a BC796D. I am now using a Windows 11 computer. It also worked on Windows 10. To check the firmware version in the BC796D, turn off the scanner. While pressing the 2, 4, and 9 buttons, turn on the scanner. The firmware version will be displayed. The latest version is 3.60 which is needed to support rebanding. Be aware that the BC796D does not support 700 MHz frequencies. It was manufactured before that band came available. If you frequently see CARD ERROR, there is a firmware update for the digital card to eliminate that problem. The digital card has its own firmware.

tvengr

Well Known Member
I just took a look at the database and see that 3 out the 6 sites for Harnett County on the NC VIPER system use 700 MHz frequencies which cannot be received by the BC796D. The Lillington site is 800 MHz which is OK.

Status
Not open for further replies.