Uniden BC95XLT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spank

First time scanner owner. Normally I do pretty exhaustive research on my purchases before buying them but this was a spur of them moment purchase and I believe I got a good deal on it, $70 new whereas I was seeing $90-110 everywhere else. So far so good, though I've only been playing with it for a few hours. I guess the only complaints would be that's it's blue (I'd have preferred black :p) and it would be nice if the keypad was backlit like the screen is but I don't know if that's a feature that scanners have.

Right now I only have a few questions (I'm sure with more to come)

I've currently using regular alkaline batteries and have the small toggle switch inside the scanner set as such. Can I still plug it in to have it run off the wall socket when I'm at home and then just take it with me when I want to leave without it having the batteries or scanner explode/damaged? Or do I just need to go ahead and get a set of rechargeable batteries for that? If so, are there any recommendations on a good set of rechargeable?

If the batteries do die are all of my saved frequencies lost?

Are there, if any, suggested upgrades/tweaks to do or accessories?

Lastly, thanks to those who maintain and update the information on the radioreference.com website. It made setting up my scanner a heck of a lot easier.

Also thank you to anyone who takes the time to read and reply to my post.

Spank

I... see I wasted my time in coming here. I thought I'd receive something useful.

thomast77

I've currently using regular alkaline batteries and have the small toggle switch inside the scanner set as such. Can I still plug it in to have it run off the wall socket when I'm at home and then just take it with me when I want to leave without it having the batteries or scanner explode/damaged? Or do I just need to go ahead and get a set of rechargeable batteries for that? If so, are there any recommendations on a good set of rechargeable?
Yes just make sure it stays set to alkaline. If you go with rechargeables get a good charger with refresh and smart charge not timed charge. Eneloops are good rechargeables but the charger they sell in the kits are not very good. I personally use Sony Cycle Energy model BCG34HRE4KN. It comes with 4 AA Low self discharge Sony batteries, And it can't be beat for the price and features.

If the batteries do die are all of my saved frequencies lost?
No

Are there, if any, suggested upgrades/tweaks to do or accessories?
There are no tweeks or upgrades I am aware of. The only accessories I am aware of is the programming software and cable. It will cost you about $45 +shipping which is half the cost of the scanner.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.