Uniden BC996XT Receive

Status
Not open for further replies.

Delta

I have two questions I would like to present to you. I value your input, some advice is much needed. I think my unit could be defective.(or maybe its just the user.) While using the close call function, the radio is silent. It only seems to receive FM Broadcast stations (Like FM radio) But nothing else. I've made sure the bands are enabled. I've check the squelch. I've tried an external antenna. I also compared the receive to my hand held which receives with no complications on the same bands. I have even factory reset and tried again.

Please give me your opinion. Have I missed something or do you feel the unit may be defective? Do you know of anyway to test the receive?

(b) My second question, while downloading the new files for chesapeake Va, I also can't receive hardly anything. But it stops on one frequency and it's a data sound. It seems not to decode anything on any frequency. ** Could this be related to the first question?

Any advice would be great, Thanks very much for reading.

Rt169Radio

Premium Subscriber
For your first question,close call is for radio signals half mile to mile alway from your location.If nothing is transmiting in that range your not going to get anything on close call,it also depends on what kind of antenna your using for close call function.

scanningisfun

For your first question,close call is for radio signals half mile to mile alway from your location.If nothing is transmiting in that range your not going to get anything on close call,it also depends on what kind of antenna your using for close call function.

To add on too this, it really matters what the power of the transmitter is. I use close call with the FM Broadcast band turned off because it always locks on to an FM-B band frequency. Whenever Rt169 said that it is for transmissions a half mile to a mile away, this is only realistic if the transmitter is operating with more power.

More on Close Call:

Uniden Close Call - The RadioReference Wiki

Jacob

Delta

Thank you so much for your reply. I was not aware "Close Call" required such strong signals to operate. That would explain the problem. I'm glad it's my fault and not a defective scanner. I also contacted Uniden, and uniden said: "Thank you for using our system. How well does it receive the weather? Because of the variables of Close Call it is not a good indicator of reception. Where did you get you frequency information?" |

Thanks again for the help.

Status
Not open for further replies.