Uniden BCD 396xt Tips/Tricks

Status
Not open for further replies.

SHU21

Santa is brining me a Uniden BCD 396xt... Used a scanner about 10 years ago.... any tips or tricks of getting started? My old scanner couldnt do, but can the new ones broadcast multiple frequencies at once? where you can listen to multiple Police Deparments?

Thanks!

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
There are 2 things I would get started with - note that here, and in the wiki links below, anything in blue is a link...

Uniden DMA FAQ - The RadioReference Wiki

BCD396XT < UnidenMan4 < TWiki

Note that while the DMA FAQ largely concerns itself with the pre-XT models, the concepts and explanations remain valid. If you learn about these, making the jump to the XT models is a short logical jump.

Read the FAQ carefully, and investigate everything that's tagged as a link. There's a great deal of information here; get your favorite hot beveridge, get comfortable and begin reading. I would also get to the NJ forum and see if someone can give you a file that you can examine by using FreeScan. This freeware package is mentioned in the FAQ, and it can import ARC (BuTel) and UASD (Uniden Advanced System Director) files, as well as it's own native (.996) data formats.

You didn't say what part of NJ you're in - please add that via the User CP. It's going to be important - there are many differences in hearing stuff in the South then North. I'm from Bergen County myself....

73 Mike

mike_s104

Premium Subscriber
Santa is brining me a Uniden BCD 396xt... Used a scanner about 10 years ago.... any tips or tricks of getting started? My old scanner couldnt do, but can the new ones broadcast multiple frequencies at once? where you can listen to multiple Police Deparments?

Thanks!

No, it does not allow you to hear more than one transmission at a time. I would suggest getting software to program it like FreeScan (free) or ProScan or (yuck) Butel.

You will also need to get used to Systems and Sites and Groups instead of channels and banks.

torontokris

Premium Subscriber
Buy two units then you can hear multiple transmissions at a time... or one analog and one digital.
Some of us have 2, 3, 5, 10+ scanners

No, it does not allow you to hear more than one transmission at a time. I would suggest getting software to program it like FreeScan (free) or ProScan or (yuck) Butel.

You will also need to get used to Systems and Sites and Groups instead of channels and banks.

Status
Not open for further replies.