Uniden BCD 396XT

Status
Not open for further replies.

F15Duke

Premium Subscriber
I took delivery of this unit yesterday. It only works with alkaline batteries installed. With the NiCad batteries installed, it does not turn on. With the AC adapter plugged in, it does not turn on. The NiCads and AC adapter have been plugged in for 12 hours and it still does not turn on. The switch is in the correct position for battery type.

Any ideas?

clutchdisk

Charging

Try replacing the re-charge battery's. Get you a seperate battery charger and charge the battery's to the full charge then put the full re-charged battery's in the unit. I do not use the 396 internal charging unit. Most on this dorum recommend an external charging unit. I use an external charger that charges individual battery's.

F15Duke

Premium Subscriber
AC Adapter

Thanks. Any idea why the AC adapter will not allow the unit to be turned on without using battery power?

CoolCat

Premium Subscriber
Since it wont turn on with the AC adapter plugged in, it sounds like you have a defective AC adapter (or a damaged power jack on the scanner). The rechargable batteries (BTW, it comes with NiMH batteries, not NiCd) are probably ok, they just haven't been charged up since the scanner isn't receiving any external power.

If it is a brand new unit then the warranty should cover it (or just return it to the store you purchased it from and/or exchange it for another one). if its a used unit then I would try another AC adapter first. If you have a multimeter, I would test the AC adapter at the jack to see if it works or not (if you don't have a multimeter you can get a cheap one for around $5).

F15Duke

Premium Subscriber
Finding CntrlChan

Again, I'm a rookie just getting started. Someone help me with this one? I am getting it on Austin Fire and EMS. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.