Uniden BCD 436HP & Sentinel

Status
Not open for further replies.

wncrescue

Premium Subscriber
I am running Sentinel software on my 436. I have read that when using this software, just downloading the database updates does not automatically populate into the talkgroups (for viper). Can anyone explain how they update the talkgroups after downloading the updated database? I appreciate it.
John

u2brent

OAMPT
Premium Subscriber
After you have updated the DB in Sentinel you'll need to write the update to the radio before the radio will see the changes and get the current DB in the radio.

You should be aware that Sentinel DB updates do not in any way effect what you have created in any FL's you have. You need to update those manually, or recreate/append from the DB to the FL with the updates.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
I am running Sentinel software on my 436. I have read that when using this software, just downloading the database updates does not automatically populate into the talkgroups (for viper). Can anyone explain how they update the talkgroups after downloading the updated database? I appreciate it.
John
Updating the Sentinel database only gets the information into the software. As brent has noted, you still would need to write the updated database to the scanner.

It would include any new talkgroups, for VIPER or any other system, that have been added since the previous weeks update. If you were scanning using the main database & location, those TGIDs would be scanned.

But are you actually referring to updating talkgroups in a Favorites list? Then, the answer is no. Updating Sentinel's database does not update your lists. You can append the newly updated database to a Favorites list. Or, since you are a Premium Subscriber, set up your MyRR home page, that you see when you first access the website. Add the counties that you are interest in, as well as any trunked system. If one of your selected counties or systems, has an update, it's line will be highlighted in green if the update was in the last 24 hours. If the update was in the last 7 days, but over 24 hours ago, then that county or system will be highlighted with a yellowish shade.

That's the way I handle mine. Often, the change is something that does not affect the way the scanner is programmed, Or, it may be for an agency or system that is not of interest to me. When I find something that does affect my programming, I simply go into Sentinel & use the Favorites list editor to make the addition or correction. That's much simpler, and quicker for me, than appending the updated items to a Favorites.

wncrescue

Premium Subscriber
Steve, you are correct, I update the radio after updating the database, but it is the favorites list that I am wondering about. So if I understand you, for example I have in my favorites list different counties. When I see an update for that county in the RadioReference Database for that county, in the public safety area that I am interested in, then after updating the database in Sentinel, I click on the county listing, such as Avery County. In Avery County I have many talkgroups, such as Emergency Management. I right click on that talkgroup, right click Append to Favorites List. Select the Favorites List that the Emergency Management is in, Avery County, select OK. and that is how to update a talkgroup?

u2brent

OAMPT
Premium Subscriber
That will work just fine, Provided you did not make any customization to the system in the FL compared to the DB version. Otherwise you'll end up with duplicate items (one with your edited version and the one from the DB copy).

If your like me, You may have made many changes to your FL copy, (Changes that you wish to keep), If that's the case you'll need to check the DB against your FL lists and manually add them or edit existing changed objects that are affected by RR DB changes.

wcu02mpa

I just got a BCD-536HP and have a VIPER programming question. First this scanner is next level as am upgrading from a Pro-2096. I travel throughout NC but am mostly west. i programmed in all of the tower sites but only limited talk groups. I am wondering if that is too much scan time for all of those tower sites and may partition this off in several geographic sites; west, middle, east. How does anyone else do their VIPER programming? I will say this thing has amazing audio quality. Also any other VIPER programming tips appreciated.

nitroboie

If you're running the scanner with GPS and location cintrol enabled, the sites automatically lock/unlock on their own based on your current location.

No need to partition the sites.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Does this require additional hardware?
Yes. You would need a GPS unit to keep your location updated as you drive.

However, if you are mostly using the scanner from a fixed location, not driving, have the Viper sites in a Favorites list that is set to use location control. Then, set the location in the scanner to match your present location. This would have the scanner to only enable the Viper sites that are in the range you set, from your present location.

wcu02mpa

Thanks. Yes I drive daily for my job and roam always, some times crossing more than five counties at a time. I need the gps unit for sure. I will research it and follow up. Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.