Uniden BCD325P2 programming

Status
Not open for further replies.

dougriffin

Premium Subscriber
A good friend is thinking about purchasing a BCD325p2 scanner or a BCD436hp, he doesn't have the $$$$ to get the 436hp, but could probably scrape a few bucks less for the Uniden BCD325P2 . Is it difficult to program the 325p2 using the FREESCAN Software ?? I know the 436hp would be ideal for him because of the ZIP feature......can I get some input with this issue ??

n9mxq

Premium Subscriber
I've tried all the software. My faves in order are Proscan, Freescan, and ARC-XT. They all work, and do mostly the same thing, but I prefer Proscan.

62Truck

Ordinary Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
The 325P2 is a pretty decent scanner, does eat batteries though. If your friend is looking to purchase the DMR upgrade then you'll need to use something other then Freescan. Freescan does not program the DMR correctly.

N9JCQ

Premium Subscriber
The 325P2 is a pretty decent scanner, does eat batteries though. If your friend is looking to purchase the DMR upgrade then you'll need to use something other then Freescan. Freescan does not program the DMR correctly.
If he needs DMR for his location. Otherwise Freescan is a great choice, especially if you are a subscriber here. ProScan is my personal favorite for programming my 325P2

Freescan is a great choice, especially if you are a subscriber here.
I second FREEScan.

Easy to use on the 325P2!

Here's the download.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
A good friend is thinking about purchasing a BCD325p2 scanner or a BCD436hp, he doesn't have the $$$$ to get the 436hp, but could probably scrape a few bucks less for the Uniden BCD325P2 . Is it difficult to program the 325p2 using the FREESCAN Software ?? I know the 436hp would be ideal for him because of the ZIP feature......can I get some input with this issue ??
The FreeSCAN User Guide is in the Wiki:
FreeScan User Guide - The RadioReference Wiki

If your friend is also in your county (Horry), then, one of the systems of interest likely would be the county's P25 Phase I trunked system:

This does appear that the site used is Simulcast, which can cause issues. Look at the map of tower locations:

Simulcast can be a problem, but it is affected by your physical location, even down to where the scanner is in your house. If you are hearing the system, without issues, and not using one of the SDS series scanners, then if your friend's location is close to you, it might work. Or, it might not. I'd suggest that if he does purchase the 325P2, that he make the purchase through one of the dealers that do not charge a fee for returns (if the 325P2 does not work for him).

More on Simulcast here:

Bob1955

dougriffen- Hi and TGIF to you. Go with the Bearcat BCD-325P2 as it has much better audio and far less problems that have been reported. My friend is VERY unhappy with his 436HP. He owned a BC-125AT prior and I had advised him to go with the digital version but he insisted on that bigger more expensive handheld. It suffers POOR analog on both UHF/VHF and the display is not good.(His BC-125 AT was much more sensitive on analog) When you buy the BCD-325P2, go do yourself a favor and also order the Diamond RH-77CA for all band rubber deck-15" tall and thin in size too. It is TOP rated and available on Amazon.com. Order the BCD-325P2 from Bearcat Warehouse in Maryland and you can also look over their YouTube video's produced by Paul that works there. He's NOT the late Paul O. from Uniden America Corporation that is dearly missed by everyone here at Radioreference. You should buy Panasonic Enloop (AA) rechargeable batteries as the one Uniden supplies you with are cheap Chinese batteries that won't last more then 4-5 hours in that model.
Bearcat Warehouse's price is currently $379.90 and they also offer programing services for $70.00 which includes a update on the firmware to 1.80.01. Note: If you are only using this for700-800Mhz, then the Remtronics antenna is the better route so that can be purchased from them too, otherwise you need to deal with Amazon.com on the Diamond RH-77CA . Note: All DIGITAL scanners ship free and no sales tax. Any questions, feel free to private me.
Hope I helped you make a sensible purchasing decision. Stay safe.

Bob

OK956

I have a 325P2 as well. Battery life with Eneloops charged in the Sanyo dock is about 6 hours.

I used Freescan to program mine. It took a few tweekings in settings to get it to cross over but it was easy.

The baudrate and on the scanner had to be set to the 115200 something or another as well as downloading the current driver software. All I could find was the drivers for the Uniden 996P2 but it worked fine. The software in both models is nearly if not identical.

Once I did all that I was able to get the Freescan software to recognize my scanner plugged into my PC. I believe it appeared as Com4 in the drop down menu.

I didnt take exact notes of my steps. I just sat there and finagled with things and then voila! The scanner gave a tone and all the programmed frequencies from a file share here were in the scanner and it was good to roll. Maybe skill maybe luck.

RockyBennett

Newby
I just purchased a Uniden BCD325P2 from Scannermaster. In addition I purchased ARCXT Basic software. I have not set up my scanner yet, it is still in transit. What software would be better for me to use, the ARCXT or the Freescan?

Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated.

Rocky

Firebuff66

Feed Provider
I just purchased a Uniden BCD325P2 from Scannermaster. In addition I purchased ARCXT Basic software. I have not set up my scanner yet, it is still in transit. What software would be better for me to use, the ARCXT or the Freescan?

Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated.

Rocky
The ARC is far superior to freescan in my opinion, You bought the arc so using that would be a no Brianer.

Take your time and read the instructions, along with all the great info here you should be good.

RockyBennett

Newby
Thank you both. I am excited to receive this new toy to see how it performs in Valencia County, New Mexico. I will probably use the ARC (since I did pay for it) but I have downloaded the Freescan as well.

I am looking forward to this new hobby. Thank you both for your opinions.

Rocky

ke4crc

Premium Subscriber
I recently purchased the 325 p2 had trouble with free scan to start with then for no reason it started working
I also downloaded pro scan it works well also but can't see paying $50 for the software
the scanner works well. not sure if its the radio or the antennas BUT the 325 receives a lot better than my 396T dose

N9JCQ

Premium Subscriber
Freescan has its limitations, especially if you need to program DMR. It's no longer supported. I use Proscan myself and what I like most about it is that it can program a broad range of scanners, even old school stuff like my 780XLT. The support is great and its continuously being updated and improve. The one time license is reasonable too.

OK956

Freescan has its limitations, especially if you need to program DMR. It's no longer supported. I use Proscan myself and what I like most about it is that it can program a broad range of scanners, even old school stuff like my 780XLT. The support is great and its continuously being updated and improve. The one time license is reasonable too.

If my 325P2 is already programmed using Freescan and then I do the DMR upgrade, will using Proscan to program DMR frequencies mess up what I already have programmed or would I need to basically start over?

The only DMR frequency in my area is on about 155 so nontrunking and I might not even need program software for that one. Just punch it in and let the DMR decode.

N9JCQ

Premium Subscriber
They only way Proscan would change anything is if you make the changes. If you read your memory into Proscan, then it should mirror what you have. I didn't buy the upgrade for DMR on my 325P2.

Status
Not open for further replies.