Uniden BCD325P2 use in Middle TN?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimg

Premium Subscriber
Can anyone advise of their experience in using the BCD325P2 in Middle Tennessee?
I would primarily monitor UHF/VHF and THP on TACN and would add DMR and NXDN if I purchased one.
Thanks in advance.

W4EMS

Premium Subscriber
For TACN and other unencrypted P25 Phase I/II it will do fine. I am not sure it is upgrade ready for NXDN or DMR. No EDACS in the middle TN area of significance. The NW counties of mid TN use a NXDN system. To the east DMR has caught on more. Williamson county and Nashville Police are the main ones fully encrypted. Nashville Fire and EMA are still in the clear for now.

jimg

Premium Subscriber
For TACN and other unencrypted P25 Phase I/II it will do fine. I am not sure it is upgrade ready for NXDN or DMR. No EDACS in the middle TN area of significance. The NW counties of mid TN use a NXDN system. To the east DMR has caught on more. Williamson county and Nashville Police are the main ones fully encrypted. Nashville Fire and EMA are still in the clear for now.
Thanks for the reply. Right now the only system I know that is using DMR is Fayetteville/Lincoln Co. LE.
I thought about getting the SDS-100, but didn't like the reviews about how it receives VHF/UHF, plus it is much more expensive. And with
Nashville and Williamson Co. now fully encrypted, and don't know yet about Murfreesboro/Rutherford Co. if they will encrypt, it's just not worth it to me.

slickfddi

Lawrenceburg PD (Lawrence country) is encrypted too

jimg

Premium Subscriber
Yep, with more agencies encrypting, I sometimes wonder if I shouldn't just keep what I have--a Whistler 1088 with DMR.

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
The BCD325P2 line works great on TACN. The Uniden BCD325P2 is now UPGRADEABLE by buying the UPGRADES FROM my.uniden.com.
The only thing about the BCD996P2 and BCD325P2 is if the DMR or NXDN ARE TRUNKING SYSTEMS you have to know the LCN's or they will not TRACK DMR or NXDN TRUNKING without them.

jimg

Premium Subscriber
The BCD325P2 line works great on TACN. The Uniden BCD325P2 is now UPGRADEABLE by buying the UPGRADES FROM my.uniden.com.
The only thing about the BCD996P2 and BCD325P2 is if the DMR or NXDN ARE TRUNKING SYSTEMS you have to know the LCN's or they will not TRACK DMR or NXDN TRUNKING without them.
Thanks very much for the info about having to know the LCNs for the 325P2. Is that also the case with the TRX-1?
Please advise and thanks.

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
No the TRX scanners scan the voice channels does not follow the TG's through the control channel. On most systems this is not a problem but if the system has several sites and channels and is also very busy you may miss parts of conversations.

jimg

Premium Subscriber
No the TRX scanners scan the voice channels does not follow the TG's through the control channel. On most systems this is not a problem but if the system has several sites and channels and is also very busy you may miss parts of conversations.
OK and thanks again!

jimg

Premium Subscriber
Thanks again for the clarification. The more I think about it, I may just go with the TRX-1, to get DMR and NXDN, instead of the Uniden 325P2. It would be cheaper, when you consider the add-on charges for DMR and NXDN upgrades for the 325P2. And, I've ruled out the SDS-100, as some many systems are now encrypted, or will be; just read in the Murfreesboro/Rutherford thread that all LE will be encrypted on the new P25 system! So if these systems are encrypted, simulcast is not an issue, which is where I understand the SDS-100 excels.

W4EMS

Premium Subscriber
The Boro LE encryption is dependent upon who you ask. Some are still saying dispatch channel clear with Tac channels encrypted which is appropriate. Only time will tell.

jimg

Premium Subscriber
The Boro LE encryption is dependent upon who you ask. Some are still saying dispatch channel clear with Tac channels encrypted which is appropriate. Only time will tell.
What is your opinion of how the TRX-1 would do in receiving this new system?

ropin4gold

I like to run an analog scanner and a separate digital scanner so I don't miss things. You can pick up a pretty decent analog scanner on the used market for $50-100, the BCT-15X is a winner if you can find one.

Status
Not open for further replies.