Uniden BCD396T Batteries Die...Slow Drain?

Unidener

Premium Subscriber
I purchased this scanner used and it's always had a problem with the batteries being dead. When I leave batteries (type irrelevant) in the scanner the next day the batteries are dead. I only listen while I'm home so I use an adapter but if I want to hear from another room, once I unplug the power adapter and power up the scanner the battery beep warning starts nagging. I have tried with rechargeable batteries and also changing the switch (charge or no charge) to no avail.

I thought this was just a bad design then I remember something about a FW fix that resolved the problem (?).

Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks to all!

pb_lonny

I never had this issue with mine. What does the voltage read when you turn it off and again when you turn it on?

donc13

Premium Subscriber
I had a 396T for many years, never encountered anything like that. I used rechargeable batteries in it and had 3 sets of batteries. I always recharged them outside of the radio.

The only thing I can think would cause what you describe is some type of corrosion inside the power circuitry. A simple way to test is go buy a set of standard alkaline AA batteries and put them in the scanner. Make sure you have the battery switch set to Alkaline and see how the batteries hold up. When you put them in, make sure the battery contacts in the radio are bright and clean

tvengr

Well Known Member
Does that also happen with a new set of alkaline batteries? It sounds like the scanner is not turning off even though the display goes out and it stops receiving. There may be a large value electrolytic capacitor across the batteries which has become leaky. I would suggest reloading the firmware which may be corrupted. The latest version is 3.02.02.

Whiskey3JMC

DXpeditioner, RRDB & Google-fu ninja 4 hire
Premium Subscriber
When I leave batteries (type irrelevant) in the scanner the next day the batteries are dead.
Scanner is powered down the whole time? Batteries are brand new?

I thought this was just a bad design then I remember something about a FW fix that resolved the problem (?).

Anyone have any suggestions?
You can certainly try updating the firmware if you haven't already done so. May or may not improve anything but worth a shot...

tvengr

Well Known Member
You said that the problem has existed since you bought the scanner. Double check that all 3 batteries are installed in the proper direction. Maybe, they were installed incorrectly when you bought it.

Last edited:

Ronaldski

MI DB Admin
Database Admin
There is a rather tiny battery swatch in the battery compartment. Switch it to the correct NiMH to charge or Alkaline non charge setting.

Other thing is that radio has no setting to change charging hours, its 14 hours. In turn leaving it plugged in and with good rechargeables assuming the battery switch is set for NiMH will shorten battery life.

I dont recall if putting in alkalines if the radio had protection circuitry to not charge or would it try charging those?

See pages 32, 33, maybe 34 https://www.uniden.info/download/ompdf/BCD396Tom.pdf

tvengr

Well Known Member
.From the BCD396T manual:

WARNING! Set ALKALINE/Ni-MH to Ni-MH for use only with rechargeable batteries. Never attempt to recharge non-rechargeable batteries. Non-rechargeable batteries can get hot and can even burst if you try to recharge them.