Uniden BCD396T in Winnipeg

Status
Not open for further replies.

GuinnessDrinker

Premium Subscriber
Hello All,

Any one in Winnipeg using a Uniden BCD396T? I recently purchased one and was wondering if someone has a file they can send me for the Winnipeg area WPFS and WPS.

GuinnessDrinker

GuinnessDrinker

Premium Subscriber
I currently don't have a programming cable. I will probably buy one shortly.

Is there a logical way of going about programming manually?

Mars_P25

Paid RR Supporter
Banned
I currently don't have a programming cable. I will probably buy one shortly.

Is there a logical way of going about programming manually?
There's only one way to program the scanner: The right way. If you don't enter the data correctly, it will not work. So you either get it right, or you get it wrong.

1. Figure out what you want to monitor. (nearly everything is on MTS Fleetnet trunking system)
2. Create Trunking System
3. Enter Control Channels for the tower you wish to monitor
4. Enter Talkgroups you wish to monitor. Keep in mind you'll only hear those talkgroups if users are affiliated to the tower you're listening to.

RCMP are in the process of switching to AES-256 for general patrol (including Traffic Services), so all that'll be left to monitor by summertime is EMS, Fire, Sheriffs, and Winnipeg EMS and Fire. WPS is already encrypted.

In Winnipeg, the best stuff to monitor is on Fleetnet south zone, site 14. The control channels are 866.1375 and 866.0625. This is a Type II 800 MHz system, not a APCO25 Trunking (9600) bps system.

The talkgroup data in the RR database -- although extremely disorganized and somewhat outdated, will get you through the day.

If you go outside of Winnipeg, rural EMS/Fire are active on the various Fleetnet towers which are listed in the RR database.

You will also want to scan the following conventional (non-trunked) frequencies:

159.24 - EMS/Fire paging/alerting/dispatching
158.97 - EMS/Fire paging/alerting/dispatching
158.925 - Fire simplex (used as a fireground/scene frequency)
158.55 - Manitoba EMO interagency simplex (mostly used for search and rescue, grass fires, etc.)

861.5125 - EMO Simplex - Used by STARS-7 helicopter to coordinate landing zones with fire/ems on ground. Very short-range communications.

Hope this helps. Also, you will want to pick up a dedicated 800 MHz rubber duck antenna from somewhere. The antenna that comes with the 396 is welfare and performance sucks on 800.

GuinnessDrinker

Premium Subscriber
If I want to program a few of the Sites, do i same them each as new 'Systems'?

For example, I want to program Winnipeg Trizec (Site 14), Steinbach (Site 5), and Winkler (Site 6). Do I program all as separate Systems, and then enter the TGs?

GuinnessDrinker

There's only one way to program the scanner: The right way. If you don't enter the data correctly, it will not work. So you either get it right, or you get it wrong.

1. Figure out what you want to monitor. (nearly everything is on MTS Fleetnet trunking system)
2. Create Trunking System
3. Enter Control Channels for the tower you wish to monitor
4. Enter Talkgroups you wish to monitor. Keep in mind you'll only hear those talkgroups if users are affiliated to the tower you're listening to.

RCMP are in the process of switching to AES-256 for general patrol (including Traffic Services), so all that'll be left to monitor by summertime is EMS, Fire, Sheriffs, and Winnipeg EMS and Fire. WPS is already encrypted.

In Winnipeg, the best stuff to monitor is on Fleetnet south zone, site 14. The control channels are 866.1375 and 866.0625. This is a Type II 800 MHz system, not a APCO25 Trunking (9600) bps system.

The talkgroup data in the RR database -- although extremely disorganized and somewhat outdated, will get you through the day.

If you go outside of Winnipeg, rural EMS/Fire are active on the various Fleetnet towers which are listed in the RR database.

You will also want to scan the following conventional (non-trunked) frequencies:

159.24 - EMS/Fire paging/alerting/dispatching
158.97 - EMS/Fire paging/alerting/dispatching
158.925 - Fire simplex (used as a fireground/scene frequency)
158.55 - Manitoba EMO interagency simplex (mostly used for search and rescue, grass fires, etc.)

861.5125 - EMO Simplex - Used by STARS-7 helicopter to coordinate landing zones with fire/ems on ground. Very short-range communications.

Hope this helps. Also, you will want to pick up a dedicated 800 MHz rubber duck antenna from somewhere. The antenna that comes with the 396 is welfare and performance sucks on 800.

Mars_P25

Paid RR Supporter
Banned
I'll make the changes if you can make some suggestions for better presentation.
I will not contribute any information to the public database. It pressures the actual users into encryption. We've already seen it with the WPS and the RCMP.

There are many of us in Manitoba who still enjoy the scanning hobby, but we do not participate on the open Internet. This is why Manitoba discussion in this sub-forum is practically non-existent. It's all done via email and closed-group discussion.

Thank you for your efforts.

Mars_P25

Paid RR Supporter
Banned
Gotcha.
Status quo will have to do then.
Nice attitude you have there.

The Manitoba database is out-of-date and incorrect because we have:

- People who are clueless submitting information;
- Database admins who are not familiar with the region, blindly approving the information;
- People like yourself who think others MUST submit information, and disapprove of anyone calling out the database for what it is.

You're not even from Manitoba. Stick with Ontario updates.

mciupa

Database Admin
Nice attitude you have there.

The Manitoba database is out-of-date and incorrect because we have:

- People who are clueless submitting information;
- Database admins who are not familiar with the region, blindly approving the information;
- People like yourself who think others MUST submit information, and disapprove of anyone calling out the database for what it is.

You're not even from Manitoba. Stick with Ontario updates.

You made me curious as to who had been submitting the MTS info so I had a look.

I viewed the submission history back to the beginning and saw who submitted and who worked the information. :)

Mars_P25

Paid RR Supporter
Banned
I had been a database admin a very long time ago. I only had permission for the Manitoba region.

The truth is this: I ran a website (independent from RR) for local scanner folk. All of us, including myself, posted really decent, current, accurate data there. Most of the data was also included in the RR database.

About 8 years ago, WPS got in touch with me. It was very informal. One of the cops was also a member of the website. They informed me printouts from the website were found (along with scanners) during raids of various street gang members/locations, and the information was being used by the wrong people. They asked I please consider removing or suppressing it, which I did. I chose to shut the site down entirely. Everyone went to email.

I do not take any issue with Lindsay's website. Not all people are bad, and not everyone uses the information maliciously. Unfortunately in Manitoba, we have a very big problem with aboriginal gangs. Winnipeg is the highest (per-capita) centre in Canada for homicides and other violent crime. (i.e. murder capital of Canada).

The stupid feral animals who cause all of the crime do not have any interest in the scanning hobby, and any current/valid information posted online will also be used by them. They are spoonfed idiots who want someone to program their scanners' for them, etc. They do not want to learn anything whatsoever.

Most of this "gimme" nonsense is also posted on the MB-Scanners yahoogroup mailing list, which has also gone to crap. (It's been around since the late 90s)

Anyone who posts a legitimate question does receive help. Other nonsense is ignored. Manitoba is a different place and we have too many criminals/associates looking to exploit the hobby.

mciupa

Database Admin
Thanks for the backgound, Mars.

It's good to hear that the serious hobbyists have a means to get their info by e-mail and can supplement what ever may be useful here at RR.

In the old days it was print-outs, nowadays it's Live Feeds on cell phones. :(

GuinnessDrinker

Premium Subscriber
Thank-you for the info, Mars..

Since my first message in this thread, I've become a 'Premium Subscriber' to RR. I am also a ham radio op. I'll probably be checking out the amateur radio forums also.

You mention an email list, can I join that also? Please send me a PM.

Last edited:

Mars_P25

Paid RR Supporter
Banned
GD: There's no email list per say, just a bunch of old buddies who trade information from time to time. I'll send you a PM and see what your monitoring interests are.

And for anyone reading this thread in the future who is about to send me a PM: no you cannot monitor the WPS as they are encrypted, and the RCMP are also in the process of switching to full-time AES-256 encryption. It will be completely implemented at some point in 2014. They're already about 35-40% done their field retrofitting as of Jan. 2014. Slow process due to manpower and travel time.

Hemi204

Premium Subscriber
Ugh this is very unfortunate...I thought they were waiting till we had a true apco-25 system....feel bad as I just ordered and programmed a few bcd's for local towing companies. I understand why they are doing it..but there are wayy bigger cities with much more crime and more savy criminals that know how to use the technology...and they don't have basic dispatch encrypted. They have all the needed talk groups that are already encrypted for gangs and surveillance. WPS and RCMP won't even be able to communicate as it stands with WPS being a 56bit cypher and RCMP 256k....oh wait they'll blow millions on some decrypter systems that will allow both agencies to communicate...but then when we go to a true apco system all this will be wasted tax payer $$.

Mars_P25

Paid RR Supporter
Banned
There's no wasted taxpayer money. Even if the WPS/WFPS, the RCMP, the RHAs and MB Government each install their own, separately-managed P25 trunked radio systems, they can all still talk to each other thanks to Inter-System Roaming (ISSI) support in newer radios.

No converters, no analog links, no extra delay, no security problems.

Motorola, EFJ, Harris, etc. all thought of micro-managers and in-fighting between agencies, and have the network technology to link separate systems together without great difficulty.

Hemi204

Premium Subscriber
Yes this whole "upgrade" they are doing on fleet net is a waste of money to begin with when the system is due for a whole revamp in the next 5 years. The WPS can't even re-key their radios over the air...now you honestly think that was a wise purchase...their 56bit 1970's Motorola cypher? And I like how you said we have an "aboriginal" gang problem here? That just sounds a little racist...and anyone with a brain in their head knows it isn't I.P & the Warriors using this technology..maybe when winnipegtheft was up....its obviously the bikers that they have found you're information on...probably in Ian Grants house when they raided....8years ago...and what new law was passed here today on which gang ? Quit trolling the forums and go search...quick!

Mars_P25

Paid RR Supporter
Banned
You're just mad because you can't listen to the police while you're committing crime.

56-bit encryption is hardly secure -- you're right. But it's strong enough to get rid of the idiotic natives and other mouth-breathers in town. Which is really all that matters.

Status
Not open for further replies.