Uniden BCD396T problems?.

Status
Not open for further replies.

wolverine

I bought a BCD396T awhile back and I've been anything but happy with it's performance as to date. Doing a side by side comparison with my RadioShack Pro-96, my BCD396T has poor reception compaired to my Pro-96. Side by side monitoring the Oxford, OH system the BCD396T does not even show siginal bar and can barely receive a digital siginal while the Pro-96 receives a full siginal loud and clear. This also applys on other digital systems, the Pro-96 simply out performs the BCD396T.

Is there something Im not doing right or a defect with this scanner. Also can I turn off the audio AGC and manually program the Astro voice levels like you can do on the BC296D?. Thanks.

mikepro96fan

I bought the BCD396t from Fry's in Austin...It sucked!! My Pro96 is more user friendly..
less key strokes...better reception..I wish the Pro96 had Military aircraft range..
I ended up returning the BCD396t!! You may need a firmware upgrade??

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
wolverine said:
I bought a BCD396T awhile back and I've been anything but happy with it's performance as to date. Doing a side by side comparison with my RadioShack Pro-96, my BCD396T has poor reception compaired to my Pro-96. Side by side monitoring the Oxford, OH system the BCD396T does not even show siginal bar and can barely receive a digital siginal while the Pro-96 receives a full siginal loud and clear. This also applys on other digital systems, the Pro-96 simply out performs the BCD396T.

Is there something Im not doing right or a defect with this scanner. Also can I turn off the audio AGC and manually program the Astro voice levels like you can do on the BC296D?. Thanks.

Same antenna as the 96 or stock antenna? How far from the system antenna are you?

MB

Feed Provider
Interesting, I wonder how many other people are finding that the PRO96 is more sensitive then the 396T?

Anyone?

red8

I have a 396 and I have not had any problems with mine in reception
however have you tried to move your radio to another location not close to anything that would cause any interference or block the signal. I also have a 796 in bedroom on my nightstand and I have had
diffucluty with good reception there But when I bring my 796 into the livingroom I have had great reception there. I am in the process of
putting up an antenna outside my house I hope it will enhance the
reception.

joetnymedic

Feed Provider
my bcd396 has awesome recieve capabilities. I put on a radio shack 800mhz antenna and i get awesome reception. after reading some posts, i thought i made a mistake buying it, but let me tell you. I've owned plenty of scanners and other than having to learn a different method of programming, this scanner rocks. My advise is to make sure you have everything set up right.
Joe

sprite1741

Mine has no problems with receive either. I compared reception with my other two handhelds, a Uniden and an RS, and the 396t was the same or better. I chose the 396 because my county and city just set up at 775 Mhz p25, and the 396t is the only handheld I could find that covers that band. The state still operates on 460 analog, but they are moving to 700 Mhz as well. I really didn't want to spend $500+ for a scanner, but now I have no regrets at all, and plan on getting a 996 before winter when I am in the house more.

M

mofugger

since you guys up top love the the pro-96 so much. i have one of those pieces of crap you can buy.

yaesumofo

I like my 396 very much. The only problem I have ever had with it is the paint rubbing off on the front of the radio and keypad.
I sent it in and they fixed it quickly and free.

I highly recommend that you use antennas OTHER than the one included with the unit. At the moment I am using a Diamond SRH77CA WITH GOOD RESULTS in the Los angeles area.
I have found that having an antenna which is TUNED to the frequency that you wish to monitor can make a big difference to what you will and won't hear.
The 396 is not the most sensitive radio on the market. Heck my BC 250 is much more sensitive. It is clear to me at least, that the BC 396 is clearly designed for use in URBAN areas, Under these conditions immunity to intermodulation is more important than sensitivity. Selectivity is also crucial due to the crowded bands. In the big city you don't need the most sensitive radio because of the RF density. They place transmitters on top of bug mountains and atop high towers. these stations are not difficult to monitor.
The 396 is sensitive enough to be able to monitor simplex communications between LAPD officers in the San Fernando Valley from LAX using a diamond discone.

Again antenna choice is critical. make sure that you have the most current firmware.

Give that 396 another try.
Yaesumofo

bobmich52

Love My 396T, But with One Small Exception.

Fairly Poor Reception For VHF Low, Otherwise SUPER Reception For everything Else.

I Live In A Suburban/Urban Area.

I Set The Squelch To ZERO.

Works Better On A Bigger House Antenna, I Find The Stock Ant Not A Problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.