Uniden bcd396xt questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

camay123

Premium Subscriber
I want to buy a digital scanner, preferably an handheld. I prefer the uniden bcd 396xt but I have a few questions:

1) Concerning audio popping issue which seems to affect these radio when using headphones/external speaker. Does it affect all bct396xt, or is this issue corrected by recently sold radio ? Also, how bad is it when listening with headphones ?

2) Regarding P25 decoding and the audio output. I have read that the 396xt was poorly performing compared to the Gre model. But how bad is poorly performing ? To someone who as not listen to a gre or 396xt radio, could i be dissatisfied with a 396xt ?

Thanks in advance

W6KRU

I want to buy a digital scanner, preferably an handheld. I prefer the uniden bcd 396xt but I have a few questions:

1) Concerning audio popping issue which seems to affect these radio when using headphones/external speaker. Does it affect all bct396xt, or is this issue corrected by recently sold radio ? Also, how bad is it when listening with headphones ?

2) Regarding P25 decoding and the audio output. I have read that the 396xt was poorly performing compared to the Gre model. But how bad is poorly performing ? To someone who as not listen to a gre or 396xt radio, could i be dissatisfied with a 396xt ?

Thanks in advance

1) You will notice it with the internal speaker as well. It is an unintended consequence of conserving battery power and I think it was probably a good compromise. I usually just listen using the internal speaker and wasn't really aware of the popping until someone on this board pointed it out. It doesn't bother me at all.

2) I've never used a GRE so I can't compare the GRE to a Uniden and you will have to wait for someone else to help with that. I think your local situation will affect the decoding of either scanner.

frankcastle

1) You will notice it with the internal speaker as well. It is an unintended consequence of conserving battery power and I think it was probably a good compromise. I usually just listen using the internal speaker and wasn't really aware of the popping until someone on this board pointed it out. It doesn't bother me at all.

I never noticed this when listening to the internal speaker. I wasn't even aware that this was an issue until I started using the headphone jack to supply my feed. A $19 Radio Shack Ground Loop Isolator (#270-651) will solve the problem.

Gator596

Premium Subscriber
The way I look at it the types of comms listened to with a scanner are mostly "rough and tumble" anyway and a few pops here and there (especially on a handheld) are unlikely to get noticed. In any event, I have the bcd396xt and have never noticed any extra. This probably boils down to expectations; you may not want to buy it if you plan to sit in an easy chair with a smoking jacket on and a fine claret while trying to tune in to the London symphony. If you are like me and are on the move, in and out of buildings and vehicles in all four seasons, or occasionally sitting on a lawn chair at an air show in my flip flops drinking Pabst from a Big Gulp cup, the 396 is an awesome radio.
It decodes P25 fine.

torontokris

Premium Subscriber
I don't think you'll be dissatisfied. The digital decode is very good.
Yes some may say the GRE is a bit better sounding but it's almost minimal.

RoninJoliet

Premium Subscriber
I use both the GRE500 vs 396XT here on the ILL-Digital Starcom 700/800 system....The audio on the GRE to MY ear is 10% better than the 396XT, the big plus is in the mobile where Cell Towers create havoc with the GRE on 800 systems where on the 396XT ihave no problem with cell interference....I can't say otherwise one is better than the other, different programming and each has its better qualitys...On GRE i like putting convf with trunking (can't do it on 396XT), i like the V-Folders for programming different areas, i can't really decide if i bought another one which one i would duplicate....My Opinion Only....

Danny6569

popping noise ?

ive had my 396 xt for a year now and ive never heard one popping noise ever! and ive used both external speakers and most of the time i just listen with the built in speaker, i dont know why anyone else would be hearing any popping noise, i think the radio sounds great!

torontokris

Premium Subscriber
Why cant you put conv with trunking on the 396xt? yes they are 2 separate systems but just give them the same quick keys... which is basically the same thing your doing on the GRE to get the same effect (give objects the same quick key)

V-folders are nice as a backup and for different areas

I use both the GRE500 vs 396XT here on the ILL-Digital Starcom 700/800 system....The audio on the GRE to MY ear is 10% better than the 396XT, the big plus is in the mobile where Cell Towers create havoc with the GRE on 800 systems where on the 396XT ihave no problem with cell interference....I can't say otherwise one is better than the other, different programming and each has its better qualitys...On GRE i like putting convf with trunking (can't do it on 396XT), i like the V-Folders for programming different areas, i can't really decide if i bought another one which one i would duplicate....My Opinion Only....

W6KRU

ive had my 396 xt for a year now and ive never heard one popping noise ever! and ive used both external speakers and most of the time i just listen with the built in speaker, i dont know why anyone else would be hearing any popping noise, i think the radio sounds great!

Both my 396T and my 396XT do it. It is not that noticeable in my opinion. I didn't even notice that mine was doing it until it was pointed out by someone on this board. There are several threads about it on here, one of which includes a fix when attaching the scanner to a computer or other amplifying device. The only time it happens is when the scanner has been scanning for a little bit and stops on an active channel, it only happens once at the very beginning of the audio, it doesn't always happen, and it varies in volume. I would call it more of a click than a pop.

I remember at least one person that claimed he fixed it with an aggressive AGC setting. I haven't had any success with that yet.

Danny6569

Both my 396T and my 396XT do it. It is not that noticeable in my opinion. I didn't even notice that mine was doing it until it was pointed out by someone on this board. There are several threads about it on here, one of which includes a fix when attaching the scanner to a computer or other amplifying device. The only time it happens is when the scanner has been scanning for a little bit and stops on an active channel, it only happens once at the very beginning of the audio, it doesn't always happen, and it varies in volume. I would call it more of a click than a pop.

I remember at least one person that claimed he fixed it with an aggressive AGC setting. I haven't had any success with that yet.
i dont know how these other people are hearing it but they must have there ears right up to the radio or something, ive had both the 396 t and now have the 396 xt and ive never heard it yet! there is different noises with different systems though, such as a conventional system might sound different than a digital trunked system, and some mikes might make a clicking noise while they get keyed up or the radio mikes could also make a popping noise while being used, ive used numerous radios before and i know they can, so maybe all this noise someone is hearing sometimes is probly just coming from the radio user itself.

Status
Not open for further replies.