UNIDEN BCD396XT Scanning in Gilbert

Status
Not open for further replies.

4-crime

Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone could help me out. I own a Uniden BC296D digital scanner, one of the first digital scanners that came out. I've been reading up on the BCD396XT and have read a lot of good things about it and want to purchase it but i mostly listen to Gilbert pd, Mesa pd, and MCSO. Can anyone tell me how good this scanner works in the Gilbert area? Anyone using this model in the Gilbert area? Because my BC296D "goes Digital" a lot and is choppy at times. Just curious if the BCD396XT has improved much from the BC296D in this area before i spend money on it. I appreciate any help you guys can give!

AZScanner

Somewhere in this room. Right now, you're very col
Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone could help me out. I own a Uniden BC296D digital scanner, one of the first digital scanners that came out. I've been reading up on the BCD396XT and have read a lot of good things about it and want to purchase it but i mostly listen to Gilbert pd, Mesa pd, and MCSO. Can anyone tell me how good this scanner works in the Gilbert area? Anyone using this model in the Gilbert area? Because my BC296D "goes Digital" a lot and is choppy at times. Just curious if the BCD396XT has improved much from the BC296D in this area before i spend money on it. I appreciate any help you guys can give!

From what I've heard, the GRE is the ticket for monitoring TOPAZ and RWC. The Unidens still suffer from "simulcast-itus". The GRE's do too, but they handle it better. It's a shame because I think the 396 is a better built radio with more features, but the bottom line is the ability to listen without the thing burping and farting at you half the time, and the GRE's win hands down in that area.

-AZ

phoenicks

Premium Subscriber
I have the BCD396XT. I live in the far west valley and am unable to listen to TOPAZ. But I can pick up the MCSO pretty good. They do go digital quite often as with the other digital frequencies. I pick up MCSO on the White Tanks tower. I also listen to Phoenix Fire on the K-deck channels. I have Phoenix fire dispatch turned of on digital because it sounds like they are under water. I have Phoenix Fire programmed in on the conventional channels. It's a good little scanner, but I'm kinda disappointed in the digital transmissions.

Astrak

From what I've heard, the GRE is the ticket for monitoring TOPAZ and RWC. The Unidens still suffer from "simulcast-itus". The GRE's do too, but they handle it better. It's a shame because I think the 396 is a better built radio with more features, but the bottom line is the ability to listen without the thing burping and farting at you half the time, and the GRE's win hands down in that area.

-AZ
Awhile back Joe(Cellphone) and I tested the RS106 vs the 396XT on both TOPAZ and RWC simulcast A from Indigo Joe's(Near power and the 202) and both radio's were pretty close, both decoded at the about the same error rate. Obviously from that location Simulcast A did not come in as well as TOPAZ and in that case the RS did a little better, but nothing that would prevent me from purchasing a Uniden. As far as do they do better than a 296d I have no idea never owned that radio, I would imaging that a 396xt would do better.

Status
Not open for further replies.