uniden bcd396xt VS bcd436hp?

Status
Not open for further replies.

N4TUX

Your opinion please and input?

uniden bcd396xt vx bcd436hp?

What does the Uniden BCD436HP do or have that the BCD396XT have or do?

N4TUX Boyd.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
The 436HP will decode TDMA digital transmissions (P25 phase II) that the 396XT cannot.

The 436 uses the Uniden Sentinel database (which Uniden gets from this site) to program the scanner. To get started, all you have to do is tell the scanner your ZIP code and you are listening to everything in your local area. Uniden updates this database weekly, and you can use the Sentinel software to download the updates and put them in the scanner.

The 396 has been around longer, and has fewer firmware bugs than the 436.

I have a 436 and while it isn't perfect, it is a capable scanner with a lot of powerful features.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
Presuming that the same "stuff" is inside the 436 as the 536, I really like how my 536's decode P25 simulcast systems. There is a vast improvement in the 536 as compared to my 396XT.

Also, and I'm sure this is mentioned somewhere in the links above, the 436 isn't as limited as the 396XT with respect to number of groups, etc.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
The number of channels the 436 is limited mostly by the size of the micro-SD memory card. You aren't limited by "banks" that have a limited number of channels.

smithken

Premium Subscriber
I like that I can have more than 16 characters in the tags, I can have Baltimore City Police Dispatch on the 436/536 but on the 396xt I would end up with Baltimore City P. I haven't noticed any difference in the simulcast performance, this could be because I'm very close to one of the simulcast towers compared to the other simulcast towers. I am also don't have any tall buildings near by.

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
I like the size of the 396XT, but the display and P25 decoding is much better on the 436HP. Also, the ability to record and replay as needed, and the ability to update the database in the radio makes the 436 a winner. You can do so much more with the 436.

al95

I won a bcd396xt on eBay. I just the mail carrier gets it to the correct address. He has messed up in two of orders in the past 6 months. I wanted the bcd436hp but decided to wait until they fix issues being talked about in other forums.

KSDeputy

I had a new BCD436HP. I sent it back after reading of all the problems with it on here. Now everyone is waiting for a Whistler scanner which has 6 year old technology. My home county just put in service a multi million dollar digital P 25 phase II radio system. I would like to hear it, but with so many negative comments about all the portable scanners, I am not sure if I will buy one.

Jimru

Premium Subscriber
Your opinion please and input?

uniden bcd396xt vx bcd436hp?

What does the Uniden BCD436HP do or have that the BCD396XT have or do?

N4TUX Boyd.

Depending on your needs, a used BC396D might be plenty for you!
Go to the links that W8RMH gave earlier in this thread and read as much as you can to compare.
Then go to the Radio Ref database here and the regional forums to see what is in your area that you want to scan.
You may find that a used 396 will fulfill all of your needs.
If money is NOT an object, or if what you want to scan is not listenable with the older model, but is with the new model, then I would go with the newer unit.
I live on Cape Cod; plus the areas I visit around the country (family & friends) are all still scannable with the BC396XT, so I'm happy with that for now.

Hope you enjoy whichever unit you end up with!

KokomoScanner

Premium Subscriber
So as long as i take the batteries out, i can listen to it plugged in and charge the batteries in a separate charger? Is that correct?

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Yes. You can have a spare set in the charger and a set in the scanner as backup power if the plug-in power fails for some reason.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
I have the 436HP and am happy with it. I like that I can download the entire US/Canada database into it, connect it to a GPS, and the scanner will constantly switch in local stuff as I'm driving cross-country. Try doing that with a 396...

BTW, the complaints of issues with the 436 are pretty overblown IMO.

Card problems? You can solve them, make the unit more responsive, and increase your recording storage, with an $11 upgrade card from Amazon.

Bad VHF reception? I get reception on 6-7 of the 7 weather channels with my ST-2 antenna mounted in my attic stairwell. And I can pick up Loudoun County VA and the Pennsylvania Turnpike Commission running a whip antenna inside a vehicle. Both are 30-50 miles from where I live. If that's bad reception, hurt me.

The only real issue with the 436 is the "coming soon" status of the Analyze feature, which would be handy if you are trying to document a new P25 system standing up in your area. But that's something most users don't have the technical proficiency to use, and is irrelevant if there are no P25 systems in your area, or if they have been added to the database already.

torontokris

Premium Subscriber
FYI the Gre PSR-800 is no longer made, wont be supported for firmware updates etc. I suggest if you want to go that route look into the Whistler WS1080.. same scanner just under the whistler name and will have firmware upgrades.

Thanks. Really trying to decide between these 2 and the GRE PSR-800

I have the 436HP and am happy with it. I like that I can download the entire US/Canada database into it, connect it to a GPS, and the scanner will constantly switch in local stuff as I'm driving cross-country. Try doing that with a 396...

BTW, the complaints of issues with the 436 are pretty overblown IMO.

Card problems? You can solve them, make the unit more responsive, and increase your recording storage, with an $11 upgrade card from Amazon.

Bad VHF reception? I get reception on 6-7 of the 7 weather channels with my ST-2 antenna mounted in my attic stairwell. And I can pick up Loudoun County VA and the Pennsylvania Turnpike Commission running a whip antenna inside a vehicle. Both are 30-50 miles from where I live. If that's bad reception, hurt me.

The only real issue with the 436 is the "coming soon" status of the Analyze feature, which would be handy if you are trying to document a new P25 system standing up in your area. But that's something most users don't have the technical proficiency to use, and is irrelevant if there are no P25 systems in your area, or if they have been added to the database already.
My 436 is on the UPS truck for delivery today & I can't wait to get it! I drive a semi for a living and also ordered the Uniden GPS unit from Amazon yesterday after reading about it & it sounds really cool. With the GPS I'll be able to listen to stuff every place I go which should be pretty interesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.