Uniden bcd396xt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sgreene9398

I am completely new to the P25 scanners. My last scanner was a old analog scanner, with that said I am lost with my Uniden bcd396xt. Is someone near Apache Junction and willing to set my scanner up for me, I don't have a programming cable and I input the Mesa PD and Apache Junction PD frequencies but there is nothing coming through. I'm just frustrated and would like for someone to set me up if they can. Thank you in advance for help.

wtp

bare bones just to hear something

hit the menu button (bottom left side)
program system, hit yes
turn top knob to new system, hit yes
P25, hit yes
standard trunk, hit yes
confirm, hit yes
turn top knob to edit site, hit yes
new site, hit yes
turn top knob to set frequencies, hit yes
new frequency, hit yes
INPUT FREQUENCY
input the red and blue ones (control channel, alternate freqs)
you could even put in the voice freqs if you want
as before hit the menu, kind of like a back button, to put in additional freqs
hit scan when done
and you might need
Software Support for Uniden Rebanding - The RadioReference Wiki

KB7MIB

You may also be dealing with multi-path interference issues.
Do you remember what it sounded like when two radios were keyed up at the same time on the same channel? Unless one was significantly stronger than the other, you couldn't understand either.
Basically, your scanner is receiving a digital signal from two or more transmitter sites at *almost* the exact same time, and unlike an analog signal, where you hear the interference, on digital systems you won't hear anything.
The cure for this may be investing in a directional antenna, and playing around with the aiming of it to isolate one specific simulcast location from the others.
Good luck.

John
Peoria

Sgreene9398

Ok so I programmed in the the red and blue frequencies like you said and I did get some traffic but mostly I see it lock on a frequency and the signal bar goes to full signal but no sound. Every once in a while I will hear some traffic. I'm wondering if I have a antenna issue?

wtp

yes

the signal bar is for the control channel.
that is why it stays there,
the frequency should be the control channel also.

Sgreene9398

I'm still not getting any traffic, I turn on the scanner app on my phone and it is going crazy with police traffic from my town but the scanner is silent. Only time I can get some bits and pieces of a transmission is if I hit hold and manually go through the channels. Thank you by the way for the help, I have a program cable coming and it should be here Saturday, maybe using freescan can load these correctly and work?

cellphone

Silent key.
Premium Subscriber
I just want to clarify something if you are creating a new system using wtp's instructions. You mention that you programmed in the red and blue frequencies. Did you program only the "Mesa Simulcast" site, or the red and blue from all sites?

I would start with the "Mesa Simulcast" freqs only. This is the only site that carries talkgroups you are interested in (Mesa PD, AJ PD, etc). If you put in the frequencies for another site like Thompson Peak or Shaw Butte, you won't hear much as not many talkgroups are carried on those sites. As an example Fire Talkgroups are frequently on Thompson Peak, but on Mesa PD or AJ PD.

When you press hold while seeing "ID Search" scrolling across the screen, you should see 852.825 as the active control channel. This is the current control channel frequency for Mesa Simulcast Site at the time of writing this post.

On another note, you don't have to worry about the rebanding link posted by wtp. This is a pure P25 system and this does not apply. This is also mentioned in that link as a note under the General Section.

Sgreene9398

I just want to clarify something if you are creating a new system using wtp's instructions. You mention that you programmed in the red and blue frequencies. Did you program only the "Mesa Simulcast" site, or the red and blue from all sites?

I would start with the "Mesa Simulcast" freqs only. This is the only site that carries talkgroups you are interested in (Mesa PD, AJ PD, etc). If you put in the frequencies for another site like Thompson Peak or Shaw Butte, you won't hear much as not many talkgroups are carried on those sites. As an example Fire Talkgroups are frequently on Thompson Peak, but on Mesa PD or AJ PD.

When you press hold while seeing "ID Search" scrolling across the screen, you should see 852.825 as the active control channel. This is the current control channel frequency for Mesa Simulcast Site at the time of writing this post.

On another note, you don't have to worry about the rebanding link posted by wtp. This is a pure P25 system and this does not apply. This is also mentioned in that link as a note under the General Section.

Yes I have 852.8250 as my Control Channel, signal bars stay full sometimes I see ID: 3051, 3006 etc pop up every once in a while with no traffic coming through(the speaker works fine) with occasional static.

Sgreene9398

Ok so I decided to take a drive with my scanner today and I get traffic in my driveway but it comes through choppy, I drive 500 down the road and I get good reception. I have been looking at a 700-800 MHz antenna for this thing. Which is the best antenna to boost my reception?

Status
Not open for further replies.