Uniden BCD436HP and an EM Wave antenna

NS9710

I stumbled upon the EM Wave part number P92401-SF, does anyone have experience with this antenna, would it be suitable for the BCD436HP, is there a better option, I mostly scan frequencies below 500MHz (UHF seems to be the primary band and VHF a very close second), and 800MHz is like 0.3% of what I scan. I don’t have much money to spare so I’m trying to make the best of my money, and would like to keep under $45 if possible, it’d be a portable on-set antenna and would like something I can wear on my hip and have it not whacking me in the back the whole time I move around. Preferably 8-10” range is preferable.

Last edited:

Whiskey3JMC

DXpeditioner, RRDB & Google-fu ninja 4 hire
Premium Subscriber
Connector on the antenna appears SMA female which is the same as the input on the 436HP. This would not work on a 436HP without an SMA-M to SMA-M adapter, something along the lines of this

Ubbe

One important factor for portable use are the distance between antenna and the human body. The more sensitive and gain an antenna has the more sensitive it usually is to close by objects like your own body. There are special holders for commercial 2-way radios that keeps the antenna as far away as possible from a users body but still in a vertical position where it works the best.

I would think that your body that blocks radio signals in a wide direction will have a much bigger impact on reception that the actual antennas performance. But an antenna that are less sensitive to flesh an inch away could be important. Some users have their radio holstered and when they are called or wish to make a call they unholster the radio and holds it up in front of their head, that will considerable improve coverage, or they have a remote microphone with an antenna on it. There's a reason to why some vehicles use extenders to relay the traffic from a portable thru their more powerful mobile radio.

If you have a scanner on a table you can benefit from a higher gain antenna as there's nothing close to it that can interfere.

/Ubbe