Uniden BCD436HP and GPS

Status
Not open for further replies.

lawman210

If that the case I may be selling my garmin off to get 1 uniden to save on room and connections. Can someone else confirm using 1 uniden gps puck with a splitter for say (1) 536 and (1) 436. Is there a splitter such as this that would work with the garmin 18pc?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

lawman210

Does the gps puck need to be out on the dash? How do you know if it has a good signal where it's located?

rocksteady

I had to use mine outside on the roof. But I will be trying inside on metal when it warms up a bit.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk

lawman210

I didn't even realize the garmin one was magnetic like the uniden. I would figure the magnetic could mess up the signal. Probably over thinking it but I know my garmin gps was finicky and in the house would not even pick up a Satellite. Maybe the puck and the gps unit themselves work differently.
I know K4DPS shows his puck on the dash near the corner of the window. Yes this time I am for sure talking about you :)

lawman210

I have a Garmin GPS18-USB, not PC. I dont think its working, because the GPS indicatior on the display doesnt light up. When I do a LOCATION SEARCH, it puts a status bar on the screen and selects my county and asks if it is OK, but If I just say, scan by zip code in some remote state, and plug the GPS in, it never changes to the state I am in. Just keeps scanning the remote state. Might be a difference between the GPS18 -pc and the USB version I have.

Just reread your post. The unit you habe will not work with the Scanner. You need to get one that has the 9 pin connecting end. Not sure if you can cut that off and wire to a serial plug. Don't think you can but might be wrong

davenlr

Premium Subscriber
Just reread your post. The unit you habe will not work with the Scanner. You need to get one that has the 9 pin connecting end. Not sure if you can cut that off and wire to a serial plug. Don't think you can but might be wrong

Well crap...and I just ordered a 436HP to use with it. A USB Gender changer adapter wont work? Im gonna be using this on a 436, not the 536. I was just testing it on the 536 but didnt have the right cables. If not, I guess Ill need to fork over the money for a uniden GPS, was just trying to make use of this old GPS puck I dont use anymore.

The GPS puck has a standard USB A connector on the end.

Rocksteady, what connector does the puck you are using have on the end? Look like the one below?

Attachments

• usb-a.jpg
    usb-a.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 685
Last edited:

lawman210

Neither the 436 or 536 uses the USB port for gps. The 436 use the small square port (not sure what it is called. The 536 uses the 9 pin serial port in back

rocksteady

Well crap...and I just ordered a 436HP to use with it. A USB Gender changer adapter wont work? Im gonna be using this on a 436, not the 536. I was just testing it on the 536 but didnt have the right cables. If not, I guess Ill need to fork over the money for a uniden GPS, was just trying to make use of this old GPS puck I dont use anymore.

The GPS puck has a standard USB A connector on the end.

Rocksteady, what connector does the puck you are using have on the end? Look like the one below?

If you watch the video I show the ends and connections.
My gps has a 9 pin serial connector.

Syncopations

Hears voices in my head.

lawman210

As sfdf stated, yes that's all you need to use on either 436/536 but you can get it cheaper. If you look hard enough you can get it for 89.99

RF23

Premium Subscriber
As sfdf stated, yes that's all you need to use on either 436/536 but you can get it cheaper. If you look hard enough you can get it for 89.99

Perhaps, but make for sure it includes the "adapter cable" for the 436/396XT. At present, Scanner Master is selling the Uniden GPS package at $89.95 and the adapter cable for $19.99 as a separate purchase.

I think UPMan mentioned recently that the present Uniden GPS package now includes the adapter cable for the 436/396XT, but I found sellers selling the older Uniden GPS package (like Scanner Master) which does not include the adapter cable. Therefore, the cheaper ones may be the old ones without the adapter cable. So, watch out for this.

lawman210

Perhaps, but make for sure it includes the "adapter cable" for the 436/396XT. At present, Scanner Master is selling the Uniden GPS package at $89.95 and the adapter cable for $19.99 as a separate purchase.

I think UPMan mentioned recently that the present Uniden GPS package now includes the adapter cable for the 436/396XT, but I found sellers selling the older Uniden GPS package (like Scanner Master) which does not include the adapter cable. Therefore, the cheaper ones may be the old ones without the adapter cable. So, watch out for this.

Yeah if you read post in the thread concerning my recent experience with that company I would watch out for that too

lawman210

If that the case I may be selling my garmin off to get 1 uniden to save on room and connections. Can someone else confirm using 1 uniden gps puck with a splitter for say (1) 536 and (1) 436. Is there a splitter such as this that would work with the garmin 18pc?

OK just installed this new splitter and it appears both units are working fine off one Garmin gps
ju3equpa.jpg
a9u6yqu6.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.