BCD436HP/BCD536HP: Uniden BCD436HP Charging while listening...Experiment

rbritton1201

Captain1201
It's widely represented that the Uniden BCD436HP can not be monitored while charging the batteries. But, if using the "serial" selection when plugged in for charging, the scanner can be monitored, but it will not simultaneously charge the batteries at the same time that the scanner is being monitored. I speculate that the amp rating of the charger at 1 amp isn't sufficient to charge the batteries in the scanner while also monitoring the scanner.

I speculate that the BCD436HP can also be monitored when plugged into a vehicle's cigarette lighter, with or without batteries installed, provided the cigarette lighter adapter is a 5 volt-1amp DC cigarette lighter plug. I plan to experiment with respect to my theory, provided someone doesn't point out a glaring flaw in my theory. I am able to listen to the BCD436HP if I do not select "charging," but select the "serial" function when I plug in the charger by pressing the "period+no" button, but there doesn't seem to be enough amperage to charge the batteries while simultaneously monitoring the scanner through the serial connection.

These 5V-1amp plug-in cigarette lighter chargers aren't typically available in the USA, most of them available in the USA are 12Volts DC, and they have excessive amp ratings. But, the 5v-1amp, as well as 2-3amp, cigarette lighter adapters are readily available through Aliexpress (China), and for a very affordable price, a couple bucks. I purchased several different ones from Aliexpress, and I'm awaiting delivery at this time. I purchased several because Chinese quality varies, and due to the several weeks required for delivery, I did not want to have to wait for delivery of others if some of what I receive from the first order end up being of questionable quality, which is typical of some Chinese products. I like having several to choose from...

My plan is to keep Panasonic Enoloop batteries, which are very high quality batteries, in the BCD436HP and keep them fully charged, for times when I'm without either AC to DC 5v.1amp wall charger or a vehicular 5 volt DC-1Amp charger through the cigarette lighter. Most of the time, I will monitor the scanner via a 5Volt 2-3 amp charger, or via the cigarette lighter using a 5Volt 2-3 amp cigarette lighter charger when mobile.

I speculate that chargers that supply more than 1amp charging capability, perhaps 2-3 amps, might charge the batteries while the scanner is on and being monitored. The AC to DC 5Volt 1Amp wall charger doesn't seem to have enough amperage to charge the batteries while also monitoring the scanner. But, using an 5volt-1amp AC to DC wall charger rated at 5V 2-3 amps, or cigarette lighter charger 5v. 2-3 amp, a slightly higher amp rating, might be sufficient to monitor the scanner while also charging the batteries.

A realize that the charger with a amp rating higher than 1amp might be detrimental though, because by using a charger that delivers 2-3 amps, for example, it may result in also my running the risk of reducing the life of the batteries, and/or creating too much heat. But, the scanner does have circuitry that shuts down the scanner if heat rises beyond Uniden's recommended level. So, a higher amp rating charger is something that needs to be experimented with to make sure the additional amperage isn't detrimental. But, if a higher amp rating works without any detrimental effects, the charger may permit you to monitor the scanner, while also charging the batteries, if you select the "serial port" selection rather than the "charging" selection with either an AC to DC 5V 2-3 amp wall charger or DC 5v 2-3 amp cigarette light charger plugged into the scanner while mobile.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
It's widely represented that the Uniden BCD436HP can not be monitored while charging the batteries. But, if using the "serial" selection when plugged in for charging, the scanner can be monitored, but it will not simultaneously charge the batteries at the same time that the scanner is being monitored. I speculate that the amp rating of the charger at 1 amp isn't sufficient to charge the batteries in the scanner while also monitoring the scanner.

I speculate that the BCD436HP can also be monitored when plugged into a vehicle's cigarette lighter, with or without batteries installed, provided the cigarette lighter adapter is a 5 volt-1amp DC cigarette lighter plug. I plan to experiment with respect to my theory, provided someone doesn't point out a glaring flaw in my theory. I am able to listen to the BCD436HP if I do not select "charging," but select the "serial" function when I plug in the charger by pressing the "period+no" button, but there doesn't seem to be enough amperage to charge the batteries while simultaneously monitoring the scanner through the serial connection.

These 5V-1amp plug-in cigarette lighter chargers aren't typically available in the USA, most of them available in the USA are 12Volts DC, and they have excessive amp ratings. But, the 5v-1amp, as well as 2-3amp, cigarette lighter adapters are readily available through Aliexpress (China), and for a very affordable price, a couple bucks. I purchased several different ones from Aliexpress, and I'm awaiting delivery at this time. I purchased several because Chinese quality varies, and due to the several weeks required for delivery, I did not want to have to wait for delivery of others if some of what I receive from the first order end up being of questionable quality, which is typical of some Chinese products. I like having several to choose from...

My plan is to keep Panasonic Enoloop batteries, which are very high quality batteries, in the BCD436HP and keep them fully charged, for times when I'm without either AC to DC 5v.1amp wall charger or a vehicular 5 volt DC-1Amp charger through the cigarette lighter. Most of the time, I will monitor the scanner via a 5Volt 2-3 amp charger, or via the cigarette lighter using a 5Volt 2-3 amp cigarette lighter charger when mobile.

I speculate that chargers that supply more than 1amp charging capability, perhaps 2-3 amps, might charge the batteries while the scanner is on and being monitored. The AC to DC 5Volt 1Amp wall charger doesn't seem to have enough amperage to charge the batteries while also monitoring the scanner. But, using an 5volt-1amp AC to DC wall charger rated at 5V 2-3 amps, or cigarette lighter charger 5v. 2-3 amp, a slightly higher amp rating, might be sufficient to monitor the scanner while also charging the batteries.

A realize that the charger with a amp rating higher than 1amp might be detrimental though, because by using a charger that delivers 2-3 amps, for example, it may result in also my running the risk of reducing the life of the batteries, and/or creating too much heat. But, the scanner does have circuitry that shuts down the scanner if heat rises beyond Uniden's recommended level. So, a higher amp rating charger is something that needs to be experimented with to make sure the additional amperage isn't detrimental. But, if a higher amp rating works without any detrimental effects, the charger may permit you to monitor the scanner, while also charging the batteries, if you select the "serial port" selection rather than the "charging" selection with either an AC to DC 5V 2-3 amp wall charger or DC 5v 2-3 amp cigarette light charger plugged into the scanner while mobile.
Unlike the SDS100, you cannot charge the batteries on the 436HP while scanning. The current output capacity of the charger/power supply you are using is not a factor. While I don't have the link handy, this was discussed several years ago. There was a regulation, passed in California, mandating that electronic devices, such as scanners, could not charge the batteries while also in operation. This may have been directed more at equipment using rechargeable AA batteries, since the SDS100, which uses a different battery type, can be both operated and also charging the battery (if the power source provides enough current).

While you can charge the batteries in the scanner (when it is turned off), the 'charger' circuit is simply based on a timer. It dos not take into account how much charge (if any) the batteries require, You set the time for charging in the menu. But if you set it for, say, 6 hours charge time (in the Menu, under Settings/Battery Options/Set Charge Time), then the scanner will charge for six hours (when turned off) even if the batteries are already completely charged. Your best option is to charge batteries in an external, 'smart', charger, that uses a proper rate, and ends the charge when the batteries are fully charged.

rbritton1201

Captain1201
I'm aware of the design mandates originating from the California loons, and with that being said, it has occurred to me that the reason we have to select "charging" is because the "serial" connection circuitry bypasses the battery circuit, and you can monitor the scanner through the 5v 1 amp wall charger, or through a vehicular 5v 1amp cigarette lighter, but not charge the batteries at the same time the you're monitoring. I am currently charging the batteries with an Enoloop regulated battery charger, but I don't like the wear and tear that typically develops when manipulating batteries in and out of their holder over time, when the batteries deplete as rapidly as they do.

My primary interest is to be able to monitor the the scanner via the cigarette lighter charger, and not have to endure the potential that the batteries will run down as I'm monitoring while mobile. I suspect there is a bypass circuit that restricts charging the batteries while the scanner is scanning, but I'll try it anyway, just on the off-chance that the batteries are still in circuit with the "serial" selection, which I doubt is the case, but I guess there is no harm in experimenting.

The charger is a 5v. 1 amp charger, and it may also be that with a charger that has a slightly higher amp rating, you might be able to charge the batteries while in the scanner, when the scanner isn't scanning, more rapidly than with a 1 amp charger, assuming that a higher amp rating doesn't generate too much heat, introduce too much wear on the batteries reducing the longevity of the batteires, or cause some kind of damage to the scanner's circuitry.

Unlike the SDS100, you cannot charge the batteries on the 436HP while scanning. The current output capacity of the charger/power supply you are using is not a factor. While I don't have the link handy, this was discussed several years ago. There was a regulation, passed in California, mandating that electronic devices, such as scanners, could not charge the batteries while also in operation. This may have been directed more at equipment using rechargeable AA batteries, since the SDS100, which uses a different battery type, can be both operated and also charging the battery (if the power source provides enough current).

While you can charge the batteries in the scanner (when it is turned off), the 'charger' circuit is simply based on a timer. It dos not take into account how much charge (if any) the batteries require, You set the time for charging in the menu. But if you set it for, say, 6 hours charge time (in the Menu, under Settings/Battery Options/Set Charge Time), then the scanner will charge for six hours (when turned off) even if the batteries are already completely charged. Your best option is to charge batteries in an external, 'smart', charger, that uses a proper rate, and ends the charge when the batteries are fully charged.

Last edited:

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
I'm aware of the design mandates originating from the California loons, and with that being said, it has occurred to me that the reason we have to select "charging" is because the "serial" connection circuitry bypasses the battery circuit, and you can monitor the scanner through the 5v 1 amp wall charger, or through a vehicular 5v 1amp cigarette lighter, but not charge the batteries at the same time the you're monitoring. I am currently charging the batteries with an Enoloop regulated battery charger, but I don't like the wear and tear that typically develops when manipulating batteries in and out of their holder over time, when the batteries deplete as rapidly as they do.

My primary interest is to be able to monitor the the scanner via the cigarette lighter charger, and not have to endure the potential that the batteries will run down as I'm monitoring while mobile. I suspect there is a bypass circuit that restricts charging the batteries while the scanner is scanning, but I'll try it anyway, just on the off-chance that the batteries are still in circuit with the "serial" selection, which I doubt is the case, but I guess there is no harm in experimenting.

The charger is a 5v. 1 amp charger, and it may also be that with a charger that has a slightly higher amp rating, you might be able to charge the batteries while in the scanner, when the scanner isn't scanning, more rapidly than with a 1 amp charger, assuming that a higher amp rating doesn't generate too much heat, introduce too much wear on the batteries reducing the longevity of the batteires, or cause some kind of damage to the scanner's circuitry.

I don't believe that a charger (or power supply) with a higher output is going to make a difference. If I recall, the late UPMan indicated that the charging current was intentionally set low (I believe 200ma was mentioned) so that even if the batteries were already charged, it would not overheat & possibly damage the batteries or scanner when being charged at the lower current. While technically, the scanner may be in 'serial' mode (if you pressed the "./no" key, that is not the reason the batteries will not charge.

RandyKuff

Premium Subscriber
Power did go up a little more on USB 2.0 ports over time as revisions were made to that spec...
But at the time the 436 was designed they used the original spec that was 2.5 watts... Or 5v x 0.5 amps...

The HP-2 was set up to run and charge at the same time if a adapter was used that was over 1A...
Anything less and the radio would stop charging and only run the radio...
According to the manual...

Last edited:

rbritton1201

Captain1201
Mine is brand new, less than a week old, purchased from GigaParts. So I assume it's an HP2 version, and is set up to monitor and charge at the same time if an adapter is used that is over 1A, or are you referring to the SDS100?

Just a note... The HP-2 came out after the 436...

RMason

Premium Subscriber
So I assume it's an HP2 version, and is set up to monitor and charge at the same time if an adapter is used that is over 1A?

To try to clear up what seems to be some confusion. The BCD436HP and HomePatrol-2 (HP-2) are two different models of scanner. The HP-2 is not a version of the BCD436HP,

Unlike the SDS100 and HP-2, the BCD436HP is not set up to permit charging of the batteries while on/monitoring.

Last edited:

RandyKuff

Premium Subscriber
And as I said above... That radio came out several months after the 436...
And as @RMason said it is a completely different radio...

It was an upgraded version to the HP-1...

rbritton1201

Captain1201
Yeah, later it occurred to me you were referring to the Home Patrol 2, don't know what I was thinking, LOL :D

And as I said above... That radio came out several months after the 436...
And as @RMason said it is a completely different radio...

It was an upgraded version to the HP-1...

rbritton1201

Captain1201
I already do have a power bank for my portable devices, and that is a good alternative if singularly addressing the battery longevity issue. My only reluctance is that adding a power bank limits the ease of portability on what is supposed to be a "portable" self contained scanner, if your objective is to use the scanner mobile, or in a pedestrian scenario. I suppose it's a trade-off...

Last edited:

RichardKramer

Premium Subscriber
Before I plug my 436 into the AC with the USB cable and it reads around 3.62 on the display; and after having it plugged into the AC for several hours and then disconnecting it from the USB cable the display shows a bit of an increase in the voltage to around 3.73; so there must be some voltage going to the charging part of the batteries. This is using it scanning on the desk while plugged in.

JoeBearcat

Uniden Representative
To clarify the difference (at least the easiest way to tell them apart):

HP-1 has a silver face.

HP-2 has a black face.

W7MTH

Premium Subscriber
I realize this thread is old now, but to clarify,
if I just build an adapter for a 5v dc source to connect where the battery terminals are on the inside of the radio, I won't damage the radio?
Running it off of 5v isn't too much right?

Ubbe

Running it off of 5v isn't too much right?
It uses 3 batteries of 1,2V each so that's 3,6 Volts. Scanner has voltage regulators that brings down the voltage to 3,3V and to other voltages and they can handle more than 10V on their input. But some circuits use the raw battery voltage, like the backlight LED's. Those LED's have a 100 ohm resistor to battery voltage that makes them have a 10mA drive current. Going to 5V will make that 25mA. Max current for a normal LED are usually 20mA so they will probably die rather quickly. Other circuits like the speaker amplifier runs off battery power but that can handle at least 5,5V if not more.

Put a 1A diode or two in series with that 5V to drop it to 4,3V or 3,6V. Those 1N4001 or equalent with at least a 0,5A rating are good ones to use.

/Ubbe