Uniden Bcd436hp encryption muted?

Status
Not open for further replies.

phantomcrow

Retired LE
I want to buy a Uniden Bcd436hp currently have a Trx2. Question, does this radio mute all encrypted communications? I'm looking to monitor all DMR transmissions don't want that or phase 2 digital to simply be muted automatically

phantomcrow

Retired LE
I don't understand, can you please clarify that? Does the radio stop on DMR or phase 2 or skips over without hearing anything? Ty

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
The WHISTLER 108x and TRX scanners will set there and you hear the old telephone busy tone but as stated before WHISTLER scanners on DMR scan voice channels and donot track data channel information

boy7777777777

Well. What if the department you monitor went encrypted. You’d never know it with a uniden because it just skips over it. I have a 436 and Trx-1. They both have their pluses.

budevans

I want to buy a Uniden Bcd436hp currently have a Trx2. Question, does this radio mute all encrypted communications? I'm looking to monitor all DMR transmissions don't want that or phase 2 digital to simply be muted automatically
Just curious. In your post above: I'm looking to monitor all DMR transmissions don't want that or phase 2 digital to simply be muted automatically.
It sounds like you are equating DMR and Phase II to encryption. DMR and Phase II are simply TDMA, that's not encryption. The BCD436HP will monitor DMR and Phase II. As long as they aren't encrypted.

drdispatch

What's the frequency, Kenneth?
Premium Subscriber
If you program in the encrypted channels, and somebody boo-boo's and turns their encryption off, (or a radio gets programmed incorrectly) you'll pick up occasional clear transmissions. That makes the muted encrypted traffic worth it. (I really don't like listening to the noise, either.)

pro2052

Encrypted talkgroups do not get skipped over, at least not in the way I define "skipped over". The TGID still appears. You just don't hear anything, and then it resumes scanning. That's what it does on my SDS 200 with ID search on anyway.

Ubbe

Some DMR systems seems to use their encryption flag differently, or a Uniden scanner can't interpret it properly. So some systems doesn't lit up the ENC text in the display and you monitor the whole encrypted conversation.

And sometimes the automatic "skip monitor on ENC" function false triggers on a Uniden scanner so that it sometimes skips nonencrypted conversations.

I wish there could be a skip ENC flag that can be set to each department or even individual talk groups.
And the RAS function also seems to false trigger, so that would also be an improvement if it could be set to a site to enable RAS or not.
But it could be that Whistler has the patents for those functions with selectable encryption audio modes and individual RAS selections that stops Uniden from using them.

/Ubbe

hsdtech

My S.O. went encrypted on Phase 2. At least dispatch is clear, but none of the officers are. My bcd436 mutes the annoying as hell encryption audio. I have a Pro-106 that doesn't mute encryption and it is very annoying.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Sometimes you might want to see the Unit ID's to see who's on the channel. Also if you see the SWAT channel start popping up then it gives you an idea something is going on near you.
I see the encrypted talkgroups & Unit IDs active on several of the local systems here. While the audio is not heard, ProScan logs the activity.

Status
Not open for further replies.