BCD436HP/BCD536HP: uniden bcd436hp how do i listen to p25 police channels

Status
Not open for further replies.

jjl78

the info shows up and the signal bars are moving from no bars to full bars and some times it will come in for a spit second and something i can see activity but no sound, please help i feel like i spent 450 on a paper weight, im in ,orange county, texas

n1chu

Premium Subscriber
Orange County Texas shows little or no encryption with the exception of Orange County Sheriffs Dept. But their dispatch shows as in the open. So, my guess is it’s something else causing your no audio... How did you program the scanner... did you use the auto download feature or program using the scanner’s keyboard? What specifically, agencies, are you interested in?

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Start by updating the database in the scanner, and make sure your location is set correctly, preferably by entering your GPS coordinates rather tha a zip code.

jjl78

i just got it and open the box and enter the zip code, i updated the firm ware last nigth /this morning , im a total noob

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
The database that comes with the scanner is several years old. Updating it should be done the same time as the firmware.

jjl78

this what im getting and no sound like i said i open box and updated firm ware but sure where to go from here never used a scanner before

Attachments

• 20210124_123857.jpg
    20210124_123857.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 43

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
this what im getting and no sound like i said i open box and updated firm ware but sure where to go from here never used a scanner before
The agencies in your area started moving from their old Motorola Type II system, to the new P25 system, this past fall. See this thread from the Texas forum:
Start by updating the database in the scanner, and make sure your location is set correctly, preferably by entering your GPS coordinates rather tha a zip code.
The database that comes with the scanner is several years old. Updating it should be done the same time as the firmware.
jon & Doc are correct. The scanner, when shipped, has a copy of the database that is likely a year, or more, out of date. That also applies to the database in Sentinel, when you first install it.

Update the database in Sentinel, not just the firmware, and then make sure that you write that to the scanner. The, using your correct location, and an acceptable range, you should hear agencies in your area.

For reference, see this post I added last fall, with a conversion of talkgroups on the old system, to the new one:

There are multiple other comments in the forum thread I linked about the new system.

jjl78

just want to say thanks for all the replys im still trying to figure this out im a little slow at picking up new thing, but again just want to say thanks, at least im getting wx now lol

ohiogator

Premium Subscriber
Is there a way to update the database in the scanner without sentinel? I have a 436 that has the newest firmware, but not sure on database. I have a mac and won't have access to sentinel for a few days.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Is there a way to update the database in the scanner without sentinel? I have a 436 that has the newest firmware, but not sure on database. I have a mac and won't have access to sentinel for a few days.
You're not going to be able to directly update the scanner's database other than with a computer running Sentinel. That requires either a Windows PC, or running Windows on your Mac via BootCamp or a similar program. See this page from ScannerMaster with more details:

If you have a neighbor or friend, with a Windows PC, that will install Sentinel, they could update the database and, using a card reader, update a memory card that you can then put into the scanner.

jjl78

ok so i reset to the factory setting (not the firmware) just the sitting and turned it off then on and still nothing but on the way to work i turned it on as i was going over a bridge the i go over to go in to beaumont,tx and bam i start get beaumont police, Port Arthur police and etc.. but with my crappy luck as i start to enjoy the scanner the batteries go died lol, but it did finally start working ,so just want to thank everybody for all your replies and help and for making me feel welcome in to ya'lls community

Status
Not open for further replies.