Uniden BCD436HP NXDN Programming

Status
Not open for further replies.

KM4ONG

Premium Subscriber
Sorry if this question has been asked already (tried searching before asking just in case). I recently purchased the BCD436HP because I am new to scanning. I live in Harlan, KY and it looks as if our local Public safety frequencies went to NXDN. I programmed the frequencies both using my zip code and programming a few other frequencies I found using close call. Problem is I am still not picking up local police departments, however multiple frequencies that I pulled from the RR database sounds like a big mac truck idling (from what I understand from the little bit of reading I have done this is what an encrypted or trunked but I could be wrong). Also KSP runs on P25 here and it will come through but the voice sounds "choppy". Sorry for the dumb questions especially if these have already been asked. I know it is a user problem and not a scanner problem but I don't know how to fix the user lol.

SCPD

QRT
bad news

Bad news the BCD-436HP will not decode NXDN.(not even a paid upgrade in available)
You need a TRX-1 Whistler,they supposedly are coming out with firmware for NXDN.(which will be a free upgrade)
You can however use DSD+ software and a computer to decode it.(if you want to connect the 436HP to the audio input of your PC)

KM4ONG

Premium Subscriber
Well I guess that its good I asked before I purchased the DMR updgrade thinking that would fix it. This new Uniden in my area really doesnt help me any more than the old BC350 I bought years ago then because the choppy P25 is so annoying with the gaps in the transmission it isnt worth listening to but I though I had a setting wrong or something causing that. Thanks for the info, I will research more on the DSD+ software to see if I can make the scanner worth the purchase.

SCPD

QRT
NXDN

Well I guess that its good I asked before I purchased the DMR updgrade thinking that would fix it. This new Uniden in my area really doesnt help me any more than the old BC350 I bought years ago then because the choppy P25 is so annoying with the gaps in the transmission it isnt worth listening to but I though I had a setting wrong or something causing that. Thanks for the info, I will research more on the DSD+ software to see if I can make the scanner worth the purchase.

You could either wait and see if Uniden comes out with a firmware for NXDN.
Or sell it and by November you could get the TRX-1 after they release the NXDN firmware they promised.Both the 436 and the TRX1 have their purpose....Or if youre in excess cash,keep em both.

KM4ONG

Premium Subscriber
I may sell it and get the Whistler since it looks like the NXDN release is more promising and sooner. I wish I had that surplus money problem though lol. Thanks again for the advice.

garys

Premium Subscriber
Whistler has announced, but not released a NXDN upgrade for free "when available". Uniden doesn't announce product upgrades in advance. I'd say they don't announce them until they are ready, but I don't want to get sucked into the "Siren-WiFi dongle" fracus. ;)

I certainly wouldn't rule out a Uniden x36HP NXDN upgrade if they can work out the licensing details and see a market for it. The DMR market was clearly there for them. Pro Voice was a nice, but surprising, feature given it's clearly reaching EOL.

In any case, personally, I'd wait until Whistler actually releases their NXDN upgrade before I made a purchase decision.

Bad news the BCD-436HP will not decode NXDN.(not even a paid upgrade in available)
You need a TRX-1 Whistler,they supposedly are coming out with firmware for NXDN.(which will be a free upgrade)
You can however use DSD+ software and a computer to decode it.(if you want to connect the 436HP to the audio input of your PC)

KM4ONG

Premium Subscriber
garys, thanks for the reply. After thought that is exactly what I think I will do is hold onto this one until one or the other releases the NXDN. I guess my next few nights will be dedicated to learning this DSDplus software mentioned above. I think my major problem is the place I live. I am positive there are many more frequencies being used by fire, EMS, and police departments than what is on the scanner and all I can hear is KSP so I think I just need to be patient and keep utilizing my close call feature to find more frequencies around me. I can't expect to pay $400 for something and expect it to achieve all of my hopes and dreams straight out of the box so I will play with it and see if I can figure out more settings and features to make it more fun to use. Is the problem I am having with the audio on P25 something that is known in this model as well or am I doing something wrong. Its almost like listening to someone on a cell phone that is about to lose service. Is it a reception problem, decryption problem, setting problem, or me problem?

garys

Premium Subscriber
DSD+ is not that difficult to set up and use. Pay close attention to the notes and ask plenty of questions in the Voice/Control Channel decoding forum. There are some very smart folks there, they even were able to help me! :)

I'd recommend buying a pair of SDR dongles since you'll need one to decode data and one to handle audio. Since there are no talk groups listed in the RRDB, you'll have plenty of work to do.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
I'm betting that if Whistler comes out with NXDN, Uniden won't be far behind (unless they beat Whistler). I just can't see Uniden not offering something that Whistler does.

garys

Premium Subscriber
I'd guess that it depends on what Vocoder is in the x36HP, what the licensing fee is, and what Uniden estimates the demand to be. Since I'm a scanner geek, I'd probably buy it just for the few times a year I might want to listen to someone who uses it.

I'm betting that if Whistler comes out with NXDN, Uniden won't be far behind (unless they beat Whistler). I just can't see Uniden not offering something that Whistler does.

D

DaveNF2G

Uniden has already stated that there will not be NXDN or other upgrades for certain models whose architecture is not compatible. They have made no such negative statements about the x36HP series.

captainmax1

Premium Subscriber
I would bet that Uniden doesn't let Whistler get or keep the upper hand with NXDN upgrade. I would want it as I sometimes travel and like to be prepared for whatever systems I run across.

SCPD

QRT
new uniden?

I would bet that Uniden doesn't let Whistler get or keep the upper hand with NXDN upgrade. I would want it as I sometimes travel and like to be prepared for whatever systems I run across.

636HP anyone?737hp base? NXDN ,only time will tell right?

garys

Premium Subscriber
The only statement close to this subject that I can recall is that UPMan said something along the lines that the x36HP scanners would be the flagship scanners for the foreseeable future. That's not a direct quote, but it was along those lines.

It seems logical that if the x36HP scanners are the only ones capable of DMR and Pro Voice, they would be the only current scanners that could be updated to NXDN.

Time will tell.

636HP anyone?737hp base? NXDN ,only time will tell right?

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
I see more NXDN in my area all the time and the Rail band is headed in that direction. I'm hopeful we'll see this mode on the x36HP, because everything else is already working, with exception to P25 CQPSK for some of us in phase problem areas. I'm not ready for a 636...yet.

racingfan360

I think Uniden will also need to add 3.125khz step sizes to the BCDx36HP range if they do decide to add NXDN capabilities. Thats something the Whistlers have got sorted already. Uniden will certainly lose out on a sale to me when Whistler add NXDN and if Uniden dont. Can it really be that hard when the vocoder is already in their for DMR?

kcfm6

NXDN Upgrade available

I saw your thread and figured I would advise the NXDN upgrade is available for the BD436HP.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Why bother to resurrect a thread over a year old?

If the OP hasn't figured out NXDN is available yet, posting here won't help.

Status
Not open for further replies.