Uniden BCD436HP or Whistler TRX-1?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MourningRain

Premium Subscriber
Uniden BCD436HP or Whistler TRX-1?

I'm in Nebraska.

My last scanner was the Radio Shack Pro-34.
Most of the buttons on it don't work and I haven't yet desoldered the board from the antenna connection to remove it and see if I can just clean the contacts or what..

But,... Considering my current scanner is now considered "Vintage"; I want an upgrade :)

I know the Uniden is supposed to be a bit easier to learn, but it seems the Whistler may have more features (out of the box at least)?

I know the "which is better?" question is very subjective.. But, which would allow me to hear more in central'ish Nebraska?

Omaha Regional Interoperability Network (ORION) uses APCO25 which apparently both support, but one site says uniden supports APCO25 trunking, but the TRX-1 doesn't?

Apparently the TRX-1 now has NXDN support which the Uniden may never. I think this will be helpful here in NE?

Overall, which would be your opinion for me to get?

The age of the BCD436HP scares me tbh. Released in 2014...
Am I gonna buy it and then in February, they'll finally come out with a new flagship portable?
Where-as the TRX-1 is pretty new.. does it have bugs yet to be resolved?

Thoughts?

Thanks!

sprite1741

The pro 34 was my favorite scanner from the 90's. I had 2 of them. I can't speak for the TRX-1 yet, but I have had the BCD436hp for over a month and it spends more time off than on. My Whistler 1040 and my $89 repaired PRO-651 run rings around it as far as scanning and listening goes on p25 phase 1. I am looking to replace the Uniden it with a TRX-1

AggieCon

Premium Subscriber
Do you want to receive EDACS ProVoice? If so, go with the Uniden.

Do you want to receive NXDN? If so, go with the Whistler.

Do you want real trunk-tracking of DMR? If so, go with the Uniden.

Do you want to be able to export your data? If so, go with the Uniden.

Do you want to risk dealing with frustrating connection problems and troubles with firmware updates? If so, go with the Whistler. On the other hand, the Uniden firmware update process is nearly foolproof.

Both scanners truck-track P25.

The scanners are about the same age. The TRX is essentially a beefed up version of the WS1080, which is similar to a long line of scanners before that. Both marketers continue to support the scanners you mentioned with new firmware updates.

If you look through this forum, you might determine that there are some bugs with the Whistler. The Uniden, however, is not perfect either.

Overall, determine your goals. What exactly are you going to use the scanner for? Do you have certain systems that you must receive? What are your operating conditions? No one can tell you which to get, and anyone who tries to has some sort of bias or financial interest one way or the other.

Steve2003

For me the two big things I care about are P25 Patching and how they handle multi-site scanning:

BCDx36HP:
Pro: Handles P25 multi-site trunking nicely (checks all enabled sites while scanning)
Con: Doesn't support P25 patching (not to be confused with P25 voice on a Moto Type-2 system)

Whistler:
Pro: Handles P25 patching
Con: Can only monitor a single site at once (stays locked on a P25 site until it loses signal)

K2KOH

Premium Subscriber
Both scanners cover Conventional, P25 Phase I & II, EDACS, LTR. You can pay for an upgrade to monitor DMR on the Uniden, while the TRX-1 comes with both DMR and NXDN. APCO25 is just the standard...that inclues P25 I & II. I can only speak performance wise for the 436. I happen to like it, does well on the modes it can decode. What you can do i go on YouTube and check out the videos of the two radio and see what you think. Good luck!

nessnet

Premium Subscriber
OK, so which one is better?
It really is a toss-up.

The TRX-1 is the better built device, hands-down.
Better construction – not plasicky like the Uniden.
Very solid feeling, like it’s a piece of commercial gear.
But, the Uniden was better ‘packaged’.
Comes with a BNC to SMA adapter included.
Nice touch

Software:
EZScan is the clear winner.
May be a bit harder to learn, but very comprehensive once you figure it out.
I like Sentinel’s ease of use, but what I consider a BIG negative is that in each favorites list, I had to edit each system/site again and again.
(I edited to only have control and alt frequencies to quicken scan times).
In Sentinel, multiple favorite lists use the same system, but I had to edit each system/site in each list. Very time consuming and a pain in the rear!!
In EZScan, I only had to edit the system once.
MUCH better.

I like the Uniden’s display of a lot of info, so it gets the nod there.

I think the Uniden (maybe) scans faster.
It seemed to jump on a TX quicker.
But, both on occasion were silent, while the other one was picking up a TX.
Not sure why.

The Uniden’s ability to limit sites via location is a BIG plus.
Add an optional GPS to the mix and it is a much better way to go.

Overall, the Uniden probably has a bit more sensitive receiver.
I’d have to reserve final judgement until I had both on the same antenna, eliminating antenna differences from the comparison.

Uniden nicks you for DMR and ProVoice (Whistler it’s free and they just released NXDN, also free) - the nod goes to TRX-1 here.

Bottom line, both are good equipment.
Can’t really go wrong with either.

sparklehorse

Premium Subscriber
Flip a coin. Heads it's the 436...tails it's a TRX-1. Whichever wins, your curiousity will force you to buy the other in three months anyway, as you can't possibly know which is better for your situation until you've tried both.

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
Do you travel a lot and will you be using this scanner while mobile?

The ability to select frequencies based on an external GPS is a big plus for the BCD436HP.

Status
Not open for further replies.