Uniden BCD436HP

Status
Not open for further replies.

chrisman63

I have been trying to learn about the various scanners that are on the market and after returning the Pro-433 (which I thought would be a good choice ...... I posted about this under the 800MHZ thread) I think the Uniden BCD436HP would be a good choice. It sounds like it is "user friendly" and easy to program and that is what has drawn me to that model. I am looking at a couple of them that are used (used fits my budget) but I was hoping that there might be a member or two who has some experience with this model.
Is there anyone on this forum who might be of some assistance? Can anyone give some feedback about this scanner?

Thank You,
Chris

captainmax1

Premium Subscriber
You can't go wrong with the Uniden BCD436HP. Best handheld out there In my opinion. I own both the 436 & 536 and very happy with both.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Basic programming is very simple--enter your ZIP code and tell the scanner what categories of stuff you want to hear.

safetyobc

I really like the 436HP. Great battery life. Love the large screen. Gets good reception. I think you will be happy with it. I've been a member on these forums for years and I can guarantee you if you need help someone on here will always be willing to help.

tglendye

Blue Ridge Mountains, Shenandoah River
Premium Subscriber
I have the 436 and really like it. However, easy to program? I don't think it necessarily fits into that category. I don't have any problems, but when I first started with it it was a little frustrating. My advice would be to buy the scanner and read all about it in the forums to learn more about it. Also read about Sentinel- Uniden's software to program the x36hp scanners. You can certainly enter the zipcode and go scanning. I would select your range to 0 miles, and turn the service types off that you wish not to monitor. Even with these settings however, in my experience you scan way too much in the database and this slows your scanning down. I would become familiar with Sentinel and program it that way, keeping the database off, unless you are traveling.

One thing I am not satisfied with is the audio performance on UHF analog frequencies. Anything digital sounds excellent. All I listen to is digital so I am generally happy, but every once in a while I will listen to something that is UHF analog. The analog audio stinks. There is plenty of info on the forums about this. It doesn't really bother me too much however, because I bought it to listen to digital. If you are wishing to scan a lot of analog, you may want to look for something else.

Other than that, I would highly recommend the scanner. Happy scanning!

sprite1741

If your buying used, there are 21 returned 436's on Amazon for $343 this morning. Look for Amazon Warehouse deals. These are most likely 2016 models that have been returned for a refund. You will also have 30 days to return yours if you don't like it. Like any used item they may not have the mfg. warranty honored. I highly recommend a return option with a high end scanner.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
The stock antenna isn't all that great for UHF. I get much better reception with the Diamond RH77CA in both UHF and VHF. The antenna makes more of a difference than the battery door shielding (or lack thereof) IMO.

If you're using the scanner in a house, connecting an outdoor antenna makes a huge difference. The same is true in a vehicle--getting the antenna outside the vehicle will dramatically improve reception. The 436 comes with a BNC adapter, and it lets you quickly change antennas when at home, in the car, or portable.

If you choose to start with ZIP code programming, set Range to 0 and use the scanner menu to select the service types you're interested in. The scanner may scan things you're not interested in, if so tap the Avoid button, once to lock out the channel temporarily, and twice to lock it out permanently. After a while, what's left will be what you're most interested in hearing.

K2KOH

Premium Subscriber
I have been trying to learn about the various scanners that are on the market and after returning the Pro-433 (which I thought would be a good choice ...... I posted about this under the 800MHZ thread) I think the Uniden BCD436HP would be a good choice. It sounds like it is "user friendly" and easy to program and that is what has drawn me to that model. I am looking at a couple of them that are used (used fits my budget) but I was hoping that there might be a member or two who has some experience with this model.
Is there anyone on this forum who might be of some assistance? Can anyone give some feedback about this scanner?

Thank You,
Chris

First thing...when you buy your scanner, get a good aftermarket handheld scanner antenna, something like the Diamond SR77 or the Watson 801. As another poster said, the stock antenna stinks. Here is a short video of my 436 monitoring the NYSEG Utility trunked system here in New York. Have fun!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D3N8TyoVF2U&t=30s

jdcaples

Premium Subscriber
I have the BCD436HP.

The Sentinel software is a lot less cumbersome than the scanner's menu system.

I agree about the after market antenna.

I'm mostly listening to the 800 mhz range and a purpose built antenna and - at least according to the scanner - I have full five bars everywhere in my home. With the factory antenna, I get 2-4 bars in my home.

-Jon

Status
Not open for further replies.