Uniden bcd436hp

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently picked up a scanner and I need help. I programmed it on sentenial and I’m having problems scanning. What’s the difference between sites and departments because I programmed all the departments I wanted but removed the sites and it wont scan through the departments which are p25.

n1chu

Premium Subscriber
This is a general explanation which may not be wholly accurate, but it should give a basic understanding of why you need both frequencies and sites on trunked systems...

A trunked system will (routinely) support many departments, all using a common bank of frequencies. A computer keeps all departments sorted out, separated, where each department does not interfere with the others. These frequencies are used to transmit and receive audible communications and are (in most cases) using various geographical locations (more commonly called “sites”). Think of the numerous cell sites our cell phones need. It’s the same with these trunked systems we listen to on scanners.

it sounds like you ignored all sites in a trunked system. Those frequencies you included now have no sites associated with them, which are necessary for the scanner to track where the systems computer is sending each transmission. It’s all done behind the scene with control channels which direct all units on what to receive and where (which site) to transmit.

Saint

Premium Subscriber
If the system has multiple sites just turn on a site that is close to you that you can pick up instead of scanning sites that are to far a way from you to pick up, that way the scanner does not waste time scanning sites that you can not receive
Steve

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
I recently picked up a scanner and I need help. I programmed it on sentenial and I’m having problems scanning. What’s the difference between sites and departments because I programmed all the departments I wanted but removed the sites and it wont scan through the departments which are p25.
As already noted, you need sites as well as talkgroups to monitor a trunked system,

Read this Wiki page for a little background on trunking.
Trunking Basics - The RadioReference Wiki

Status
Not open for further replies.