BCD436HP/BCD536HP: Uniden BCD436HP

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoeCool21

I need some help with my new BCD436HP scanner. This question is in regard to programming an EDACS system off of Radio Reference for the MBTA. It is an EDACS provoice system. My first question is now that I downloaded the provoice upgrade, so I need to do anything special to make the upgrade work? Or do I just use the regular EDACS selection as usual? My next question is strictly on how to program the EDACS system in my scanner. I understand how to enter the frequencies and how to enter the little logical numbers next to each frequency. But do I have to enter talk groups to make this work? Also, after I tried entering the frequencies and the logical numbers, when I go to scan the system, it just says there's nothing to scan. Please could someone walk me through step by step to program an EDACS provoice system on a Uniden BCD436HP scanner? I can't seem to figure out what I'm doing wrong.

Thanks in advance!

drdispatch

What's the frequency, Kenneth?
Premium Subscriber
If you're using the Sentinel software to program, just find the system in the database list on the left side of the Sentinel window, and append it (or whatever specific department(s) you want) to a Favorites List. This will add all of the sites automatically.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
I need some help with my new BCD436HP scanner. This question is in regard to programming an EDACS system off of Radio Reference for the MBTA. It is an EDACS provoice system. My first question is now that I downloaded the provoice upgrade, so I need to do anything special to make the upgrade work? Or do I just use the regular EDACS selection as usual? My next question is strictly on how to program the EDACS system in my scanner. I understand how to enter the frequencies and how to enter the little logical numbers next to each frequency. But do I have to enter talk groups to make this work? Also, after I tried entering the frequencies and the logical numbers, when I go to scan the system, it just says there's nothing to scan. Please could someone walk me through step by step to program an EDACS provoice system on a Uniden BCD436HP scanner? I can't seem to figure out what I'm doing wrong.

Thanks in advance!
Programming an EDACS system in your scanner is exactly the same regardless of whether ProVoice is, or is not, in use. No difference in how talkgroups or sites are entered.

As drdispatch has already noted, your simplest method to program it is to append the system from the main database in Sentinel to your Favorites list of choice. Once appended, then you can selectively edit the system to remove, or set as avoid, talkgroups that are not of interest to you.

Appending it from the main database also transfers over all the information needed should you decide to use Location control, either via your zip code, or using a GPS. If you were to manually program the system, you would have to to enter those location details, otherwise the system would not scan when using location control.

JoeCool21

Hi,

It's actually not included in the database, sadly. What I want to learn is programming EDACS. I just have a few questions:

Is the list of channels and the logical numbers enough?

Do you need to really enter the talk group ids?

Its really weird because when I go to try and scan the system, it just says scanning IDs or something like that. And to test it, I have my cell phone tuned into that particular group of channels. The phone will be receiving the conversations just fine using Broadcastify. But my scanner isn't picking it up. And it's not a location issue, because I live right outside of Boston, and I can hear the police and fire just fine. But not the MBTA communications.

Please could you maybe just give me a quick step by step Uniden tutorial on what I need to do to get it working? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

RMason

Premium Subscriber
But do I have to enter talk groups to make this work?

when I go to scan the system, it just says there's nothing to scan.

If you do not enter talk groups, you will need to make sure ID Search is on. This is one of the things that can cause you to get the Nothing to Scan message.

See the Nothing to Scan page in the wiki for tips. Refer to the section for 3-Tier DMA - BCD436HP.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
If you do not enter talk groups, you will need to make sure ID Search is on. This is one of the things that can cause you to get the Nothing to Scan message.

See the Nothing to Scan page in the wiki for tips. Refer to the section for 3-Tier DMA - BCD436HP.
Exactly.

But if you simply append the system from the main database, you have the site(s) as well as all of the talkgroups in place to scan.

KevinC

Other
Super Moderator
Hi,

It's actually not included in the database, sadly. What I want to learn is programming EDACS. I just have a few questions:

Is the list of channels and the logical numbers enough?

Do you need to really enter the talk group ids?

Its really weird because when I go to try and scan the system, it just says scanning IDs or something like that. And to test it, I have my cell phone tuned into that particular group of channels. The phone will be receiving the conversations just fine using Broadcastify. But my scanner isn't picking it up. And it's not a location issue, because I live right outside of Boston, and I can hear the police and fire just fine. But not the MBTA communications.

Please could you maybe just give me a quick step by step Uniden tutorial on what I need to do to get it working? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

This system?

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
It's actually not included in the database, sadly.
-
As Kevin points out, if you're looking for the Massachusetts Bay Transportation System, it is in the Radio Reference database, and it's also in Sentinel....

Click on...

USA ---> Massachusetts ---> Essex ---> County Systems ---> Right click on Massachusetts Bay Transit Authority, and then click "append to favorites list".....

Click "new favorites list" and give it a name, then click OK.

You can then look at your new favorites list and see how it's setup.

Before you write your new favorites list to the scanner, use the profile editor in Sentinel to be sure both download and monitor are set to "on" for that list.

Last edited:

StoliRaz

🇺🇲
Premium Subscriber
I'm also from Boston and debated buying the Provoice upgrade so I could listen to the T. What kept me from buying it was the T system is literally the only Provoice system in our area, Provoice is going the way of the dodo (it's obsolete, it's EOL was 2017. There won't be any new Provoice systems coming online again) I live far enough out in the suburbs that I have doubts about reception.

That said, knowing how much of a bumbling, horribly mismanaged mess the MBTA is, coupled with this new mayor who wants to make it "free" 🙄 they might be on their old Provoice until the sun burns out. If they ever do upgrade it, a lot of trains are moving to NXDN so that would be my guess as to what they may use in the future. Just be aware that unless you travel a lot, at least around Boston the only thing Provoice can be used for is the T, which there is a Broadcastify feed for as well.

Last edited:

W1KNE

Owner ScanNewEngland
Database Admin

It is in the database. I know as I've regularly updated it. (I have the Pro Voice on my 996P2 at work and it decodes the MBTA just fine, nice and clear). Make sure you update your HPDB so the changes done are reflected.

Status
Not open for further replies.