Status
Not open for further replies.

mitch802

Well, I too was a little disenchanted with this truly most excellent scanner. So, I did some research on here as well as all over the internet and found very very little with the exception of the Uniden BCD436HP which inspired me to do the very same thing. Came out well. See what you all think? I think I may opt for a pinkish colored screen next go round and maybe change the buttons to blue but ultimately I am pleased with the effect. The buttons/lights color overlays did not translate to anything other than more subdued lighting which actually still works.

Here is what I used that for the color which I bought on Amazon!

#unidenbcd536hp #bcd536hp #changebcd536hpcolor #changebcd546hpbuttoncolor #changebcd536hpscreencolor #uniden #scannerlcdcolor

Attachments

• IMG_0866.jpg
    IMG_0866.jpg
    104.9 KB · Views: 120
  • IMG_0867.jpg
    IMG_0867.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 118
  • IMG_0868.jpg
    IMG_0868.jpg
    108.2 KB · Views: 115
  • IMG_0870.jpg
    IMG_0870.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 126
  • IMG_0871.jpg
    IMG_0871.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 145
  • IMG_0872.jpg
    IMG_0872.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 148

mitch802

The really great thing here is you do NOT have to desolder and then resolder new LEDs. Just some colored plastic sheets and a bit of dexterity and ANYONE can do this easy and simple mod! The hardest part for me was getting the silver scroll push func knob off.

mitch802

I took it back apart and did some other filter colors. Some worked and some did not. Purple, Red, Aquamarine, Florescent Yellow(ish), and Orange. You can see that Orange when off is obvious but when illuminated doesn't work and I forgot to mention that I had to cut TWO pieces of Orange to even get it to show that much. Orange in this transparency will NOT work. Might have to order more but a darker Orange next time.

Let me know what you all think?

Not sure which one I will use this time. I think I will redo the buttons another color on another day again.

Attachments

• SCANNER FILTER COLORS.jpg
    SCANNER FILTER COLORS.jpg
    109.8 KB · Views: 106

mitch802

Okay, I tried something even more crazy and new. I tried a new color scheme and played around with new custom cut panels. I mixed button colors and even mixed LCD panel colors. You might notice a small white gap but that is only because I didn't make it permanent by taping panels together. Take notice of the Multi-Color Replay button. Kind of cool I think! That was unintended but actually worked out. It is one button that should stand out from the others in my opinion.

The keypad I had to TRIPLE cut THREE ORANGE pieces just to get the color of the keypad to show. I think I need to find a transparent burnt orange sheet to achieve the color scheme that I want.

Tell me what you all think? Any other ideas? Really jazzes up the look of the scanner and lets you color customer zones so the buttons don't all blend together.

This is the final color scheme that I think that I will stick with...well, okay okay...for now. ;)

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 15
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 16
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    105.6 KB · Views: 18
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 17
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 23
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 25
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 27
  • tempImage5UZrHQ.jpg
    tempImage5UZrHQ.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 28
  • tempImagelOzsic.jpg
    tempImagelOzsic.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 24

tumegpc

Premium Subscriber
You are getting pretty creative. I like the different colors for the keys. It might be just me, I found that it was more difficult to see with a red display.

I do recall a member here changing out his LED's to an amber display and that was really nice. I haven't yet to find any decent amber film that will work. If you do please post some pictures.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
I never understood why Uniden didn't offer color choices on the 536 display. Even the old 996T had them! How more would it have cost to manufacture, maybe $5?

mitch802

You are getting pretty creative. I like the different colors for the keys. It might be just me, I found that it was more difficult to see with a red display.

I do recall a member here changing out his LED's to an amber display and that was really nice. I haven't yet to find any decent amber film that will work. If you do please post some pictures.
Thanks, the red isn't hard to see at all in person but then again it could be your eyes are different and it is possible that you could have some issues with certain shades. I have known someone like that in the past. Although more than likely it's just the pictures. The great thing here is that you can use ANY shade you want as long as you have the clear sheet of plastic. Yellow doesn't work great...nor does orange, at least not unless you stack the sheets.

I can't see how someone could de-solder and then re-solder these lights. They are far far too tiny but then again. Some people are really super adept at micro projects. While I am more than capable of soldering and de-soldering...this would NOT be something that I would dare attempt. I did see the Orange one that you saw as well and it did look nothing less than AMAZING!

mitch802

I never understood why Uniden didn't offer color choices on the 536 display. Even the old 996T had them! How more would it have cost to manufacture, maybe $5?
Good question. I don't know. I guess maybe the did a small section survey and found that most wouldn't care? Me personally? I would love to see and individual button and light programmable color. I know that is not really realistic at this point as far as cost effectiveness. Although I do have a really cool high end customizable keyboard that you can actually change each key's individual color and even have cool strobe, scroll, etc. effect.

I guess in the meantime it's disassembly and custom cutting colored sheets of plastic and applying them. lol. :)

mitch802

I forgot to mention with the different color keys that the LEDs are SHARED! So you can see why the second REPLAY button is gradient/mixed effect. Works I think. You are definitely limited as to the ability to color code each key. Have to do them in groups with a possibility of the gradient/mixed effect. I really hate that the buttons color comes through kinda of soft/muddled.

tumegpc

Premium Subscriber
It would have been nice if Uniden expanded on the Homepatrol 1/2 touch screen. HP1 came out over ten years ago and that was revolutionary for a scanner. The 436/536 LCDs were a huge step backward in my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.