Uniden BCD536HP & Patched Talkgroups on Phase II System

Status
Not open for further replies.

brian86

Database Admin
Is anyone else having issues on Phase II systems when the dispatcher has a patch setup. I have to put the scanner in ID Search mode to find the random DEC that was generated by the system to monitor the voice traffic while patch is in operation... This is not going to be good, cause our county patches all the time.

I noticed that my RS Pro-18 was picking up the patch in the other room but the BCD536HP wouldn't lock on to anything.

tbiggums

It's really unfortunate that Uniden won't address this issue. None of their scanners have ever tracked patches on P25 systems. It's a P25 control channel message issue, Uniden scanners fail to follow patches on both Phase I and Phase II systems.

GRE took care of this with a firmware update on their PSR-500/600 and PRO-106/197. The PSR-800 follows P25 patch traffic, too.

I can't understand why more people don't complain about this lack of such an important feature. Uniden scanners are really inferior if you're trying to only listen to a specific district talkgroup that can be randomly patched to others when the dispatcher takes a bathroom break.

Many police agencies air their high priority "hot" calls using multi-select which is a short-lived patch of several of their channels. Unless you're scanning all of the talkgroups they might possibly include in one of those patches (and it could be hundreds of possible talkgroups if it's a Harris P25 system), you could miss that call. I suspect many scanner users have no idea they may be missing traffic like this.

The highway patrol around here runs patched talkgroups full-time, and the patches can change at any time depending on dispatcher staffing and how busy they are. So if you're stuck with a Uniden, you have to leave all their talkgroups unlocked and start listening for the callsigns of the troopers in the area you're interested in, and then temporarily lock out the rest--and then hope they don't change the patch on you. When you stop hearing the troop you're interested in, you have to unlock all the talkgroups again, and start over.

And a large city PD (with 6 districts, each having their own dispatch TG) here is moving toward a Harris P25 system from an EDACS system. Most recent model scanners (including the Unidens) do track the EDACS patches, so people can listen to their desired district(s) pretty seamlessly. Once they go P25, those stuck with the Unidens will be in for a rude awakening when they find they'll have to leave the whole "system-assigned patch TG range" unlocked at all times if they want to be sure they'll continue to hear their desired district(s) when they get patched to another.

I know I'm not buying another Uniden scanner until they fix this. I encourage others to do the same.

If you've got a GRE-made scanner, or a real radio, just scan the talkgroup you want, and you'll hear the traffic, regardless of what it's patched to. The user hardly even knows it was patched. That's the way it should be!

brian86

Database Admin
wow

I guess I will be returning my BCD536HP this is no good for our system since the patches are set up all the time here in my county. I will have to stick to my PSR-800 for now. I guess I should tell everyone this won't work 100% either when they ask for scanner recommendations I guess it will be an old GRE PSR-800 or the new whistler version.

Thanks for your input

Status
Not open for further replies.