Uniden BCD536HP: Power Cycling??

Status
Not open for further replies.

KB3ZIM

Hello Everyone!

I have a BCD526HP that I haven't used in quite a long while, maybe two years or more. I got it out yesterday with the intent of setting it up for continuous regular use in my ham shack. When I powered it up, it began to display opening screen info, followed by the "normal" screen info, and then moments later, shut down...only to begin constantly repeating that process over and over and.....

I attempted several things like removing the SD card and powering-up, using the "1>9>e hold and power-up reset," etc. Didn't help. USB cable to computer didn't help, and in fact, wasn't being recognized by the computer during initial attempts. I downloaded Sentinel software directly from Uniden, reformatted the card and wrote from Sentinel to the card, and then put the card in the scanner...powered up...still no dice. The files on the card appear to be okay.

There were times...like now...when the radio did recognize the computer connection and displays "USB Mass Storage," signifying that it is now being recognized by the computer. The card in the rig now also displays in the "This Computer" folder on my computer. I am leaving it that way for now, as it's the only way I can get the rig to stop the constant power cycling.

I've read that the radio has to be powered on for a long time (50+ hours??) to recharge the clock battery. Perhaps that is necessary to be charged to keep the rig's memory intact and prevent constant power cycling?

Anyway...there you go. I may not have explained it accurately, but I'll do more research before I jump to the conclusion that it's in need of repair and send it out. I posted this because I'm wondering if anyone else has encountered this same problem with their BCD536HP.

Thanks for any assistance you might be able to render. Best wishes...stay safe and healthy!

73 de KB3ZIM
Coatesville, PA USA

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
Hello Everyone!

I downloaded Sentinel software directly from Uniden, reformatted the card and wrote from Sentinel to the card, and then put the card in the scanner...powered up...still no dice. The files on the card appear to be okay.

What did you use to reformat the card?

KB3ZIM

What did you use to reformat the card?

THANKS for your response!

I used the card formatting program recommended by Scanner Master: When bad things happen to good scanners: SD Card Corruption | Scanner Master Blog Note that my issue began when I first powered-up the scanner after a long term period of not being used or turned on, which was well before I attempted any solutions, including SD card reformatting and attempting to install updated software via Sentinel.

Since the moment I was able to get the scanner to indicate "USB Mass Storage" when connected to my computer via the USB cable, I've left the rig turned on in the hopes of charging the internal battery, as many posts have cited. Before that, I assumed that the constant power cycling every 10-15 seconds would not be adequate for charging purposes. Maybe I'm wrong about that, but it also won't hurt anything, so why not?

I appreciate your attention! Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.