Uniden BCD536HP Scanner

Status
Not open for further replies.

sportsanchor

Premium Subscriber
Okay, I have been researching this scanner the past few days. I guess it came out around the beginning of 2014. While reading several on-line reviews, more of them are negative than positive, claiming many of the "promises" Uniden put forth during their marketing of this scanner have not come to fruition.

I guess I'm wondering if anybody in Michigan has purchased a BCD536HP scanner and can give me an appraisal of how the scanner operates in Michigan.

Is it too sophisticated for Michigan?
After five months of being available, has Uniden made any efforts to fix any of the reported issues?
Is it as slick as Uniden markets?

I currently own a Uniden BC796D scanner, so I'm several generations behind the times, however, I'm not going to drop $600 on a scanner that's not living up to its marketing.

Any help would be appreciated.

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
I purchased the 436HP and it was indeed a nice radio (I say was because I have since sold it). My main listening area was from Sarnia, ON and I would typically listen to the St Clair MPSCS simulcast site. Compared to my other scanners it worked much better with the simulcast system, but ultimately I didn't use it enough to justify the cost so I re-sold it. If I was always in the area I would definitely consider one.

You raise some valid points though about the marketing... it seems many features still haven't been released as advertised. But from a techinical standpoint it did work well. Very different from other scanners I've ever used but the learning curve wasn't bad by any means.

ffexpCP

wizard of odd
Database Admin
The 436hp and 596hp seem to receive much better than any of my other radios. They receive transmissions my hp1, 396xt, 996xt never pickup.

As a bonus, they have the entire database in them, no limit like the older models. I found that to be a major issue with such a large system like MPSCS.

detroit780

Silent Key
Database Admin
Uniden BCD 436HP

I bought one when they came out. The Audio AGC is very poor on the MPSCS. Meaning base to mobile and TG to TG the audio varies from can barely hear to blowing you out of the chair.

It came out the first of Feb. The first of March they had a firmware update that helped a few issues but didn't solve them. Promised another update in March never came still waiting.

Analyze function was to be included and it was not. Still no firmware to include a feature they advertised.

I use my Pro-18, PSR-800 PSR-600, Pro-197 and Pro-106 way more often than the Uniden Paper weight. It could be a great radio if they ever finish it. After almost 6 months I am no longer holding my breathe.

Okay, I have been researching this scanner the past few days. I guess it came out around the beginning of 2014. While reading several on-line reviews, more of them are negative than positive, claiming many of the "promises" Uniden put forth during their marketing of this scanner have not come to fruition.

I guess I'm wondering if anybody in Michigan has purchased a BCD536HP scanner and can give me an appraisal of how the scanner operates in Michigan.

Is it too sophisticated for Michigan?
After five months of being available, has Uniden made any efforts to fix any of the reported issues?
Is it as slick as Uniden markets?

I currently own a Uniden BC796D scanner, so I'm several generations behind the times, however, I'm not going to drop $600 on a scanner that's not living up to its marketing.

Any help would be appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.