Uniden BCD536HP

Status
Not open for further replies.

KC9NEG

Anyone have one of the new Unidens yet? If they do a better job with P25 simulcast I'll get one for my feed scanner. I'm following the thread out in the main forum, but I'd like to hear from somebody here about how they're performing on IDPS. TIA.

KC9NEG

I'm at a complete loss... my feed audio has gone to crap over the last few weeks and no amount of antenna and radio tuning seems to help on any consistent basis. I really need to know of the 536HP will help and, if so, get one up and running ASAP.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
Todd, I have a BCD536HP on order which should be here next week. I'll let you know.

AK9R

Super Moderator
Todd, I received my BCD536HP yesterday and have played with it for a very limited amount of time. My initial impressions is that it's ability to decode IDPSC simulcast transmissions is better than the x96XT series or the HP-1.

I'll try to post some video this weekend.

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
If you get a chance to do it mobile.. and test in multiple locations, near repeaters, between repeaters, in center of them all...That may convince me Uniden has finally got a adequate solution to the issue finally. Especially if this is done on as many systems as possible. I am not going to go yippee until this kind of testing gets done. Its far too easy to put it in one spot and it just be great for the one spot.

IDPSC has done another system "tweek" which they seem to do about once a month or so. Every time they make even the tiniest "tweeking" it throws everything slightly off for scanner users.

Last edited by a moderator:

W9NES

If anyone would happpen to buy a Uniden HP 436 or a Uniden HP 536 I would like to offer a test area for the scanners in my home in my driveway near 7900 North Michigan Road. I would also like to see a test in the area of 86Th and Michigan Road.The problem was spelled out by MILF. The problem is with IDPSC with all scannersl all over metro Indianapolis/Marion County. Outside Marion County near 56Th and State Road 267 on the northside of Brownsburg in Hendricks county you cannot hear IDPSC. This is from a member of my family who has a digital scanner The audio is not clear and is garbled. He has no problems with safe-t with the Hendricks Co. simucast site. In Indianapolis/Marion County Safe-t is very loud with a great signal and the audio levels are easy to hear with no garbing.

Last edited:

AK9R

Super Moderator
If you get a chance to do it mobile.. and test in multiple locations...
Well, it'll probably be a few weeks before I pull the BCD996T out of my vehicle and install the BCD536HP. Though, I am very interested in how the new scanner will work out.

Right now, I'm just using an 800 MHz rubber duck on a right angle BNC on the back of the scanner and I'm finding some sensitivity to location. Moving the scanner just a few inches makes a difference in decode quality.

I'm not the only one in town with a BCD536HP. Another forum member got his today, but he said it may be a while before he has a chance to play with it.

W9NES

My Uniden HP-1 on IDPSC and Safe-t is not garbled on the audio at all. I hear IDPSC(aka MECA) just fine in my car with a mobile scanner antenna on the back tunk lid. I would like to see and hear the Uniden HP436 and the Uniden HP536 to check the audio out and see if it the decode rate would be better on IDPSC in the local Metro Indianapolis/Marion County area before I would spend a lot of money on it.

Last edited:

KC9NEG

If anyone would happpen to buy a Uniden HP 436 or a Uniden HP 536 I would like to offer a test area for the scanners in my home in my driveway near 7900 North Michigan Road. I would also like to see a test in the area of 86Th and Michigan Road.The problem was spelled out by MILF. The problem is with IDPSC with all scannersl all over metro Indianapolis/Marion County. Outside Marion County near 56Th and State Road 267 on the northside of Brownsburg in Hendricks county you cannot hear IDPSC. This is from a member of my family who has a digital scanner The audio is not clear and is garbled. He has no problems with safe-t with the Hendricks Co. simucast site. In Indianapolis/Marion County Safe-t is very loud with a great signal and the audio levels are easy to hear with no garbing.

Tim, performance outside the city but close enough (such as Brownsburg) should be more ideal than being in the city. Has your family member tried a directional antenna?

If your HP-1 can copy IDPS cleanly you must be a magician tuning it. My Pro-197 smokes my HP-1 for monitoring this system. It's not even a debate worth starting.

W9BU, I addressed some stuff to you out in the simulcast performance thread before I saw this. I hope you're enjoying the radio and that it does indeed prove to be the best way to monitor our little problem child of a system here ;)

W9NES

KC9NEG, my family member in Brownsburg in the area of 56Th and State Road 267 has always had a problem with IDPSC(AKA MECA) .He also spent money on a directional antenna and fed it with lmr-400 low loss coax and still has the problem.No problems on safe-t.. As far as the Uniden Hp-1 in my car with a mobile scanner antenna on the back of my Buick I have never had any problems with IDPSC. IDPSC comes in loud and clear with no garbling and no missed calls.I am going to save my money until I see a Uniden HP-436 or a Uniden HP-536 get tested across Metro Indianapolis/Marion county on the IDPSC issue at hand.

W9NES

How about someone posting a you tube video of a Uniden HP-436 or a Uniden HP-536 scanning Metro Indianapolis/Marion County, Indiana?

aaron315

How about someone posting a you tube video of a Uniden HP-436 or a Uniden HP-536 scanning Metro Indianapolis/Marion County, Indiana?

I'll endeavor to get one posted this evening. My first impression (Saturday to today) is that the 536 does MUCH better than my 996T and noticeably better than my HP-1 in mobile use on DPSC along the south and west sides of Indianapolis and into eastern Hendricks County. I've been pretty tied up with some other stuff and have not had time to spend with it like I wanted to, but so far I am very happy and plan to rotate out the older scanners to be replaced with 536s.

NOTE: The 536 still does not receive as well as the XTS 5000 or XLT 5000 on DPSC. I do not expect that it ever will.

W9NES

I saw a video on You Tube posted by W9BU. There are decoding issues with IFD Dispatch if you will LISTEN to the audio. IMPD Southeast dispatch comes up with NO AUDIO. And the scanner showed that it was also scanning MECA system 2 for government dpw, etc. There was no audio on the MECA System 2 to answer this question, Will the Uniden HP536 decode MECA system 2 across Metro Indianapolis/Marion County? Some of us monitor Indianapolis Power and Light along with DPW but cannot hear them as they are very weak on the Control Channel 852.1125.

Status
Not open for further replies.