UNIDEN BCD536HP

Status
Not open for further replies.

sator1

When are you (RR) going to update your site to include the new UNIDEN BCD536HP scanner? I haven't been able to find the correct freeSCAN software to program my scanner.

Thanx.

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
There's no such thing as FreeSCAN for the 536, and even if there was, it's not RR's responsibility to carry it.

The official - and best - software to program the 536 with is Uniden Sentinel, available here.

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
When are you (RR) going to update your site to include the new UNIDEN BCD536HP scanner? I haven't been able to find the correct freeSCAN software to program my scanner.

RadioReference has nothing to do with providing any scanner programming software including Freescan for the 536HP.

sator1

UNIDEN BCD536HP...

Thanx.

Thanx for the replys and the heads up on the software stuff.

I'm new to this site having just submitted my dues yesterday and exploring all the info.

I'm trying to program my new BCD536HP scanner and the have read the owner's manual multiple times but to no avail. The 2 videos within this website about programing a scanner are useful, and I'm still playing with it, but would like to get serious now. The manual isn't much help on programing and is confusing (I'm used to the programing of the older analog type scanners of yester year).

Any ones help or direction would be greatly appreciated.

3's, and thanx

sator1

Question: With the Uniden BCD536HP scanner, when you turn the squelch knob fully counter clock- wise, should you be hearing static/white noise as with the older analog scanners of the past, or does the receiver remain silent?

Jay911

Feed Provider
The speaker will generate static once you hit upon a conventional frequency with no tone (CTCSS/DCS/NAC) selected. Otherwise, in trunk systems and frequencies with tone, no sounds are made, and if you're in scan, the radio continues to scan, just at a slower rate (because it is comparing the "static" to the programmed tone or trunk data).

sator1

Thanx for the info on that question.

I have just recently purchased this radio (two weeks ago), and now need to figure out how to sent up the 'Favorites' list(s) and understand 'Quick' keys. All I have to go on is a Youtube video that Uniden forwarded to me. Of course I do have the manual that came with the radio which I am still sorting through and most probably using to fuel my confusion.

sator1

Thanx again! I had forgotten that I had book-marked that site to my 'Favorites' before I had purchased the radio a few weeks back. Now I'll focus my efforts towards reading that over the next few days and playing with the scanner.

I did make a back up SD disc for the radio in case I accidently mess up the original, and am using that one in the radio now. Does that disc contain the full data base and operating system for the radio, or is the data base stored within the radio and the SD card contains the memory of the changes I generate?

Jay911

Feed Provider
The "operating system" is stored in internal memory (with the exception of once you get a firmware update, when you put the firmware update on the SD card - once you turn the radio on with that card in it, it copies the firmware into its internal memory).

The database is stored on the card, along with any favorites lists and profiles you create, but also in the Sentinel software. You could completely trash your card, buy a new one off the shelf in Best Buy or your store of choice, and put it into the radio, and tell Sentinel to put all the right stuff back on it simply by doing a "write to scanner". Having said that, it's never a bad idea to keep backups of data. Maybe your computer might crap out AND you mess up your one SD card, then you can go to the other. :)

sator1

True. Just went through a dead mother board on my older computer back in December but was able to have all the data transferred from the old hard dive to both of the new machines. I now have two new computers and do a 1-for-1 data update/transfer (keyboard entry) so they are both contain the same info.

Just got a notice from PG&E (our gas and electric power company) in the mail today advising of an upcoming power outage for my area. There is nothing (that I have found) in the 536 manual concerning possible damage to the radio due to an accidental loss of power to the radio. The radio is connected to a surge protector but not connected to an UPS (computers are though). Any idea what happens if anything other than it quits working when the power drops out?

Jay911

Feed Provider
Powering off a radio like the 536 without letting it close its files first is inviting SD card corruption. It might not go bad, or it might destroy all your data. It's impossible to tell until it happens. You'll notice that when you power off the radio (properly), it states "Writing to SD card, please wait" before it actually shuts off.

Back up your radio's SD card the day (before) PG&E is supposed to begin work. That way, if the card gets screwed up, you'll only have lost a little bit.

sator1

I just had completed what you suggested before the post arrived. Updated both computers and both SD cards. Then just for the heck of it, I brought up the scanner and let establish itself (boot), then pulled the plug. Upon reenergizing and letting the radio reboot, all was well and functioning properly. Expensive radio to experiment with, but you never know when your going to lose power. I do think I'll visit Fry's and pick up another UPS. That's far cheaper than a new radio and good business practices.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
N9JIG reported in another thread that he went through a home power failure that he believes may have corrupted his SD card.

Sometimes when power failures occur, the lights go out, come back on, then go back out. I wouldn't be surprised if that "cycling" of power during the SD card write process caused the issue. That's as in the write process didn't get completed when it attempted to write again, leading to corruption.

I have a 536 mounted in a vehicle that is on the ignition circuit. I do not power down the scanner when shutting the vehicle off. Yeah I'm tempting fate, but I keep 2 extra SD cards, programmed with my data, "just in case". I'm sure my scanner has gone through 100s of shutting down through loss of power without a bad experience.

sator1

Does anyone know if the Livermore, CA police dept. switched or changed their dispatch and operating frequencies over the Memorial day weekend (2014)? I was able to receive them on my BCD536, but haven't heard anything since Sunday. All there other agencies are coming in just fine.

I checked the Radio Reference Frequency Data Base and all the numbers are what they used to be last week.

Status
Not open for further replies.