Uniden bcd996 p2 Orange County coRNET programming help please

Status
Not open for further replies.

whills40

Premium Subscriber
I have tried importing from the data base the above project 25 phase 2 for fire and some law enforcement. I get nothing in reception. I have the conventional programming done no problem it’s the trunked I can not receive. Any help would be greatly appreciated. TIA Bill

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
You're probably experiencing simulcast distortion. Are you trying to scan the North or South cell? You should be scanning North if you're in Middletown, but that is a tough area with multiple subsites putting signal into that area.

tvengr

Well Known Member
I suspect that you are suffering from simulcast distortion. The North and South sites each consist of multiple towers which transmit on the same frequency at the same time. The only scanners specifically designed to receive simulcast systems are the Uniden SDS100 handheld and SDS200 base/mobile. What programming software are you using? If you attach your programming file, I will check it for problems. You will need to right click on the file and Send to Compressed (zipped) folder to be able to attach it. Click on Attach files and Open the zipped folder. I totally agree with GTR8000 who posted his message while I was in the process of creating mine.

Last edited:

whills40

Premium Subscriber
I suspect that you are suffering from simulcast distortion. The North and South sites each consist of multiple towers which transmit on the same frequency at the same time. The only scanners specifically designed to receive simulcast systems are the Uniden SDS100 handheld and SDS200 base/mobile. What programming software are you using? If you attach your programming file, I will check it for problems. You will need to right click on the file and Send to Compressed (zipped) folder to be able to attach it. Click on Attach files and Open the zipped folder. I totally agree with GTR8000 who posted his message while I was in the process of creating mine.

Attachments

• OrangeCountyRadi.zip
    1.1 KB · Views: 5

tvengr

Well Known Member
I use ARC-XT also. The software will not make a difference with simulcast distortion. Give me a little time and I will create an ARC-XT file for you to try.

tvengr

Well Known Member
Here is the ARC-XT file for the Orange County trunked system. The second PDF file will answer all of your questions about using quick keys. Save the attached zipped file to your computer and extract. Open the extracted file with ARC-XT and Upload to Scanner. Pressing 1 on the keypad will toggle the North site on and off. Pressing 2 on the keypad will toggle the South site on and off. Quick keys as follows:

SYSTEM QUICK KEYS:
1. Orange Co North (Site)
2. Orange Co South (Site)
GROUP QUICK KEYS:
1. Orange Pub Works
2. Orange Interop
3. Orange Emerg Ops
4. Orange Fire/EMS
5. Orange EMS/Hosp
6. Orange Sheriff
7. Orange Law
8. Orange Local PD
9. NY State Police
0. NY State Misc

Attachments

• Orange Co NY RSF.zip
    2.3 KB · Views: 6
  • Uniden Scanner Quick Key Instructions DMA.pdf
    11 KB · Views: 8

whills40

Premium Subscriber
i tried this today, I had one reception for circleville, their structure fire. Nothing else has com through. I did toggle the south off.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
In your file, I noticed that Control Channel Only is not checked for the North Simulcast site. It should be.
Red herring. The 996P2 doesn't have that option; CCO mode is permanently enabled, there is no way to toggle it on/off as there was with the 996XT. The setting being there in ARC-XT is for older models.

tvengr

Well Known Member
Red herring. The 996P2 doesn't have that option; CCO mode is permanently enabled, there is no way to toggle it on/off as there was with the 996XT. The setting being there in ARC-XT is for older models.
Thanks for the info! I learn something new every day.

whills40

Premium Subscriber
i have bearcat warehouse going to help Tuesday at 10am I appreciate everything. if you come up with any other ideas I am open to trying them

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
As stated previously, if you're in Middletown and the scanner is being used as a base scanner, then you're going to deal with simulcast distortion. The scanner is almost certainly receiving the Graham and Goshen subsites at the same time, and it doesn't like that because the 996P2 was not designed to handle P25 LSM properly.

Are you using the collapsible antenna that came with the scanner, or do you have it connected to a different antenna, perhaps an outdoor antenna? If you're using the collapsible antenna, try varying the length of it to see if that helps. Fully extended is not ideal for a 700/800 MHz system, so try with it collapsed fully and slowly extend it while seeing if decoding improves.

You can also try enabling attenuation on the north cell to see if that helps. You may lose the signal entirely by doing so, but it's worth a shot.

On the bright side, the signal in the Middletown area will improve greatly in the coming months, so if you really don't feel like spending $700 on an SDS model scanner, be patient and wait it out.

k2hz

Database Admin
i tried this today, I had one reception for circleville, their structure fire. Nothing else has com through. I did toggle the south off.
If you are getting any reception at all then the programming and the scanner is probably working as best it can and you are simply in an area where the scanner can't handle the simulcast distortion. If you can try the scanner in some other locations near a system tower site it should work ok. In which case the only solution is to get a scanner designed to handle P25 LSM. Reception may improve or even get worse at a specific location as sites are added to the system. Tweaks with the antenna, attenuation, etc. may be of some help but it will probably never be 100% unless you are fortunate to be at a location with minimal distortion.

Status
Not open for further replies.