BCD325P2/BCD996P2: Uniden BCD996P2 will not communicate with my laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rmchowchow

Premium Subscriber
Good Morning,

New to scanners and working with Freescan. I am helping our Retired Fire Chief try and load our new radio frequencies from our P25 conversion. I have purchased a USB to RS232 cable and downloaded the driver and unzipped it for the Uniden communication. When I go to device manager I have the Yellow triangle but when I try and load the driver I receive "Windows was unable to install your USB-Serial controller D. Windows could not find drivers for your device." I have deleted the files and redownloaded them, but get the same error. I also have already forced the USB port I am using to COM 1 as I have read on other threads.

tvengr

Well Known Member
To begin with, you should use the USB port on the front of the scanner. You will need that for firmware updates. That requires a mini USB connector, not RS232. Here is the driver. Save the attached zipped file to your computer and extract. Paul, the former Uniden rep, said to send the 2 extracted files to your desktop and the computer will find them. It worked for me.

Attachments

• uniden_usbser.zip
    5.4 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:

Rmchowchow

Premium Subscriber
Well thank you very much. I down loaded your driver and now everything works as advertised. I had previously tried to use the supplied USB to mini USB but it would not connect. I really appreciate the help.

tvengr

Well Known Member
I have a BCD996P2 and FreeSCAN also. If you have any problems, you can attach your programming file and I will check it for errors. You will need to right click on the file and Send to Compressed (zipped) folder to be able to attach it. Click on Attach files and Open the zipped folder. Is it a county in the Northern Kentucky Regional system? If you let me know your city, county, and state, and the agencies you want to monitor, I can create a file for you. I am always happy to help our first responders and appreciate their service..

Last edited:

JoeBearcat

Uniden Representative
Good Morning,

New to scanners and working with Freescan. I am helping our Retired Fire Chief try and load our new radio frequencies from our P25 conversion. I have purchased a USB to RS232 cable and downloaded the driver and unzipped it for the Uniden communication. When I go to device manager I have the Yellow triangle but when I try and load the driver I receive "Windows was unable to install your USB-Serial controller D. Windows could not find drivers for your device." I have deleted the files and redownloaded them, but get the same error. I also have already forced the USB port I am using to COM 1 as I have read on other threads.

If using the rear RS232 connection, you would also need a null modem cable or null modem adapter.

And as mentioned firmware updates can only be applied from the front USB port.

Status
Not open for further replies.