Uniden BCD996T programming

n8nyp

So I've had this scanner since 2010. I haven't done much with it. I'm using the Uniden USAD software. When I select "view scanner" I get a message that the scanner isn't connected. Can anyone help me get this scanner working? Terry n8nyp

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
There could be a whole host of problems here, including the following;

- What connection are you using? If you are using a USB-serial cable (very common) you need to load the driver first.
- Did you select the correct COM port to use?
- What Windows version are you using?
- Which USB-serial cable are you using?
- Did you check Device Manager to see if the COM port was even allocated?

Tell us a bit more about what you're using. In addition.;...

The UASD is WAY out of date and won't support many of the changes that have happened since then. Although it has been abandoned by the developer, FreeScan is freeware and will support the 996T to at least get you going. It can be found here...

and the wiki based help manual is here...

And this page has many hints about getting the connection going...

Mike

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
So I've had this scanner since 2010. I haven't done much with it. I'm using the Uniden USAD software. When I select "view scanner" I get a message that the scanner isn't connected. Can anyone help me get this scanner working? Terry n8nyp
-
If you're using the original, authentic, Uniden USB-1 programming cable from that same era, it will no longer function with Windows 10 or 11.

If that's the cable you have, check this link.... it has worked for others using the old USB-1 cable:

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
I'm using it along with the adapter to USB. Is there something else I'm suppose to use? Front panel.
The actual Uniden USB-1 cable (1 piece cable) didn't require an adaptor. You may have the cable that was included with the scanner, that needed a serial port on the computer, or a serial adaptor plugged into a USB port on the computer (2 pieces). If that's what you have, it's a 3rd party USB to Serial adaptor that would require it's own drivers. Look in your computers "Device Manager" with the cable connected to see if a valid serial port exists, or if there's an error message for the cable.

Ronaldski

MI DB Admin
Database Admin
Yes likely its windows 10-11 driver issue. On my third serial-usb adapter, I think my first went dead, the second was due to Microsoft removing ability for these to not work due to there was a large amount of unauthorized chips being made or something like that.

You can try this to see if it works,
Assuming that doesnt work, what I use is this with the 996 included DB9 cable and still works, https://www.amazon.com/Sabrent-Converter-Prolific-Chipset-CB-DB9P/dp/B00IDSM6BW

n8nyp

I have advanced with the scanner. A friend helped and found a DB9 to USB adapter with the FTDI chip. That worked to get the scanner communicating. I've gotten to the point where FreeScan is telling me that it is "downloading scanner settings" and it hangs up there. For hours it won't finish. I'm not sure if I've put the cursor over it but it says "not responding".

tvengr

Well Known Member
Using FreeSCAN, Download Programming reads from the scanner into the software. You need to Upload Programming to write the file to the scanner.

tvengr

Well Known Member
Using FreeSCAN and the BCD996T, when programming the MPSCS trunked system, the System Type should be Mot Type II / P25 and the Site Type should be Mot P25/P25 Standard.

Ronaldski

MI DB Admin
Database Admin
Actually just the other way around, MPSCS needs to be set for P25 Standard (Digital XT), it definitely works better with that setting.

When I program my 396XT/996XT with ~3/4 of the state in separate quickkeys & 8,000+ memory filled, it takes about 3 minutes to do it.

Be sure to click 'Queue System List' and click 'Check All', then click 'Start Download'
You'll need to get in the habit every time to click the 'COM' button and have it 'Start Auto'.

Try these videos - FreeScan User Guide - The RadioReference Wiki

Ronaldski

MI DB Admin
Database Admin
Yep, I still stand behind my recommendation. Ive owned the 396t/996t and have programmed several other peoples T models that way.