BCD396XT/BCD996XT: Uniden BCD996XT clearance price $360

Status
Not open for further replies.

elfaure

Just got one of these discontinued bad boys from Mills Fleet Farm for $360 clearance price, regularly $469.89. As of today (10/05/16) they have well in excess of 25 pcs left at the clearance price.

Nasby

That's a clearance price for an outdated, discontinued scanner??!!?

Wow. Hope it includes a free massage.

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
That's a clearance price for an outdated, discontinued scanner??!!?

Wow. Hope it includes a free massage.

I wouldn't really call the XT series outdated. They've only been superseded by the P2 series (996P2) in the last year, ad are still highly acceptable scanners. The only major difference between the two is that the P2 series will handle P25 Phase II, and the XT will not.

I just recently bought a 996T (predecessor of the 996XT) for $130 which is working just fine on the local P25 systems, but then I'm primarily using it to monitor non-simulcast sites, although I live far enough away form the local simulcast sites that I haven't really had any issues with it in that regard.

elfaure

Its the best scanner ever made, in my humble opinion. I looked at the newer 996P2 and the 536HP, along with the HomePatrol programming interface and still choose this one and Freescan instead. The newer stuff is buggy, drops wifi, doesn't have a working smartphone app STILL a year after release...I'd rather have the last gen of the tried, tested, and hardened hardware platform than the first generation of a newer undeveloped platform. You can be the beta tester not me.

As time goes forward, quality goes in reverse.

Nasby

Its the best scanner ever made, in my humble opinion. I looked at the newer 996P2 and the 536HP, along with the HomePatrol programming interface and still choose this one and Freescan instead. The newer stuff is buggy, drops wifi, doesn't have a working smartphone app STILL a year after release...I'd rather have the last gen of the tried, tested, and hardened hardware platform than the first generation of a newer undeveloped platform. You can be the beta tester not me.

Well then, for the low, low price of $360 you can get yourself the best scanners ever made!

At that price, why not get two?

trp2525

Just got one of these discontinued bad boys from Mills Fleet Farm for $360 clearance price, regularly $469.89. As of today (10/05/16) they have well in excess of 25 pcs left at the clearance price.

You can currently purchase the BCD996P2 from Jet.com for $350 with FREE shipping included and no sales tax. If you use the discount code "TRIPLE15" at checkout you will receive an additional 15% off (up to a maximum discount of $30) on your first 3 orders from Jet.com. That will bring your purchase price down to $320 for a current-model scanner: https://jet.com/product/detail/637bc9aadad5419b969909a13563324e

The BCD996P2 is the same scanner as the BCD996XT but adds the capability to receive P25 phase II. Also the BCD996P2 is supported in FreeSCAN if you are using the latest beta version of FreeSCAN which is 2.18 beta 6 available here: https://sites.google.com/site/sixspotsoftware/fssetup-218-b6.zip

wise871

Database Admin
I was getting them for $99 a year ago when Radio Shack was closing down. Those were the days.

bama9999

I have a BCD536HP, and it doesn't drop wifi and it works great with the siren app. I've not noticed anything about it that I'd consider buggy either. This is the second 536 that I've had, and both have been great radios.

elfaure

Maybe I paid a bit too much but I am thoroughly enjoying this scanner. I see nothing but issues on this site with the new Home Patrol units (436HP/536HP). I am sure glad I didnt get one of those.

trp2525

Maybe I paid a bit too much but I am thoroughly enjoying this scanner...

From your initial posting I see that you paid $360 for your scanner and the price has now been lowered down to $300. You might want to consider contacting the retailer and see if they will do a price adjustment for you and refund the price difference back to you. Some stores will do this but with varying time frames i.e. 7 days, 15 days, 30 days, etc.

If that doesn't work but you made your purchase with a major credit card you might still be in luck. A lot of the major credit cards (MasterCard, VISA, Discover, AMEX) have a feature called "price protection." If something that you bought with the credit card goes down in price in a certain time frame (typically within 60 days of purchase but up to 90 days with Discover) the credit card issuer will issue you a refund for the difference. You just have to file a claim with proof of the lower price that you found.

Call your credit card issuer to see if your card has this feature. A lot of cardholders are not aware that they have this free feature available to them. I personally have used this feature on a TV purchase and an air conditioner purchase in the last year.

jtsjc1

I agree with trp2525 try and get a refund for the difference. I just picked up a BCD996P2 for $330. The 996XT is a great radio though I sold my mint cond one last year.

trp2525

...I just picked up a BCD996P2 for $330...

$330 is a very good price for the BCD996P2. The lowest price I'm able to find at the moment is $349.75 from Jet.com with FREE shipping included. If you use the discount code "TRIPLE15" at checkout you will receive an additional 15% off of your first 3 orders up to a maximum discount of $30 for each order.

With the use of the discount code mentioned the total delivered price for the BCD996P2 is $319.75: https://jet.com/product/detail/637bc9aadad5419b969909a13563324e

N1SQB

Premium Subscriber
$330 is a very good price for the BCD996P2. The lowest price I'm able to find at the moment is $349.75 from Jet.com with FREE shipping included. If you use the discount code "TRIPLE15" at checkout you will receive an additional 15% off of your first 3 orders up to a maximum discount of $30 for each order.

With the use of the discount code mentioned the total delivered price for the BCD996P2 is $319.75: https://jet.com/product/detail/637bc9aadad5419b969909a13563324e

Thanks for the heads up on this thread guys.The15% discount, among other choices like paying with a debit card, brought mine to a very respectable $311.75 Unfortunately our tax you to death state of Connecticut brought it up to $331.55 delivered. However, in my opinion, this is still a very good price for a P2.

Manny

elfaure

Thanks for the suggestion to try to get a refund. I called Mills fleet Farm and unfortunately since its been longer than 14 days they cannot credit my purchase for the difference. They did say that I could return the first one then buy a second one for the discounted price, but with shipping back and forth it would be a push and I'd be without a scanner for a week or more.

trp2525

Thanks for the suggestion to try to get a refund. I called Mills fleet Farm and unfortunately since its been longer than 14 days they cannot credit my purchase for the difference. They did say that I could return the first one then buy a second one for the discounted price, but with shipping back and forth it would be a push and I'd be without a scanner for a week or more.

For future purchases you might want to consider getting a credit card with the "price protection" feature as I explained in my post #13 above. That would protect you from similar circumstances in the future.

Personally I like the Discover Card because it gives you 90 days of price protection from your original purchase date. I have personally used this feature 2 times in the last year (on a TV and an air conditioner) with my Discover Card. On both occasions my claim was promptly processed and I received my refund check in about a month after filing my claim.

mspIggy

Premium Subscriber
they are 200.00 now - they have some 30x left - the link online is gone - but some stores have them

there are 5x in baxter - bunch in WI and Iowa

SCPD

QRT
I was getting them for $99 a year ago when Radio Shack was closing down. Those were the days.

I know, should have bought what they had left as they were $89 a piece and the 396XLT was $99. The BC996XT is the only Uniden scanner I own and love it. I am still kicking myself for being stupid and not purchasing additional ones :(. I mainly use professional gear to deal with simulcast distortion, but my 996XT does a pretty good job dealing with it too. Felt like the village idiot for not buying it, as they were brand new units. $360 or $200 for a clearance item is pretty high IMHO. Depending on inventory the price should drop.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.