Uniden BCD996XT FreeScan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nickman852

Would it be a good idea to download Freescan onto my computer to program frequencies? I have read that the BCD 996XT manuels are very hard to read. I am interested in programming Motorola type. 2SmartZone Omnilink into the scanner, Ohio State Patrol district 4. Any help would be appreciated.

jackj

I use Freescan with my 996T. I've been using it for quite a while. Although it is free, the author asks that you donate a few bucks to keep the wolfs at bay if you like it. I have done so. My 996T's manual was almost impossible to understand until I started using Freescan, it helped me understand what was needed to program it.

Nickman852

So is this the same idea as iTunes, where you purchase songs and sync them onto your iPod? Will Freescan automatically program the frequencies into the scanner?

orgchemus

It is best to buy a premium membership to Radio Reference and then you have the ability to import the data into Freescan from the Freescan menu, finally uploading the Freescan file into the scanner.

You also have the option of not buying the premium membership, using a Freescan feature where you can cut-and-paste data from the RR website, and finally uploading the Freescan file to the scanner. I have never done this because I find the premium membership well worth the money.

Yes, it is best to donate a few dollars to Freescan for the great software.

Nickman852

So once I download from RR and import into the scanner, will the software automatically sort/program the frequencies exactly where they need to be?

orgchemus

When you download from RR, you will import a trunked system from Freescan and then you chose what you want to add.

It will have all available sites and groups per trunked system, and then you chose the sites and groups to add to the a system you have created. It will program the scanner based on how you set-up the system in Freescan.

I am new to this as well so maybe an older more informed member can give you better advice. My advice is to purchase the RR premium membership (it's very reasonable), and then download and play with the Freescan software..... It will make better sense.

trap5858

Premium Subscriber
I am new user of Freescan and so far I like it. I have been a long time premium subscriber to RR and find the information and ease of programming an invaluable resource. Well worth the price of admission.

Nickman852

OK I downloaded FreeScan. When I look at talk groups, what should I enter? HEX or DEC? And also is the MARCS System the Moto type II? And do I also have to copy and paste the whole table to transfer to FREESCAN?

rvictor

OK I downloaded FreeScan. When I look at talk groups, what should I enter? HEX or DEC? And also is the MARCS System the Moto type II? And do I also have to copy and paste the whole table to transfer to FREESCAN?

With a premium subscription, most of those decisions are avoided since one can download the data to Freescan, modify it as desired, and upload to your scanner. Without the premium subscription, you can use the EZGrab feature to avoid having to type all the data in manually, but you need to know what you are doing and where to put it. In either case, Freescan is a wonderful tool, but as with many tools, it does not eliminate the need to learn something about programming and operating a scanner. I'd suggest some of the introductory materials in the wiki.

Dick

Robert721

Premium Subscriber
Freescan is a great tool but you will need to go in and have a look at what it imports from RR database. I have a lot of duplication. But with a little fine tuning I am now getting the radio to just about where I want it. I paid for Proscan but had issues trying to figure it out. I may try using it again.

Nickman852

So the RR premium subscription has a more fine tuned way to program a Motorola SmartZone Omnilink system, per say, than the basic? This will eliminate the guess work and make it an easier transition?

Robert721

Premium Subscriber
Yes, In the my area the Harris County Regional Radio trunked system cover 10 counties. It would take forever to have tried to program it all without the RR download. I also programmed the system for most of central Texas. The LCRA (Lower Colorado River Authority) system. Huge systems that contain analog as well as P-25. It was well worth the subscription price.

Status
Not open for further replies.