Uniden BCD996XT question

Status
Not open for further replies.

KSPILOT536

Premium Subscriber
I found I can monitor "error rate" on this radio,I am getting plenty of calls with the stock telescoping antenna but error rate on most calls is between 80 and 100 and calls are garbled or nothing at all,signal strength is full,I fiddled with P25 settings,helped a little but not much,strange thing is,the antenna has to be touching the wall in a certain area,if I move it a few inches all calls stop.

IAmSixNine

Feed Provider
@KSPILOT536 several replies have told you what you need to know. Your scanner is physically (hardware) not able to monitor a simulcast system.
Unication G4/G5 or SDS100/200 are the only products on the market that will let you monitor what you want. The SDS100 is a true scanner so go that route. Before you buy be an educated consumer and check out the refund policy. While i sort of get not wanting to pay a restocking fee for something, at this point you have no other option as the equipment you have is literally the wrong tool for the job. Sure that flat head might turn that phillips screw but its not designed for it. As far as the whole oh man i have to box it up and ship it back if it doesnt work, i want to say thats just lazy but im sure i will offend someone on the list if i truly made that comment. So i wont.
Your last option is try to make a friend locally who has one and see if they can demo it for you in, at or around your location.
When i got my G4 about 3 years ago i showed it off to a few scanner/radio guys and it made some good impressions hardware wise. One of those guys now owns several.

KSPILOT536

Premium Subscriber
@KSPILOT536 several replies have told you what you need to know. Your scanner is physically (hardware) not able to monitor a simulcast system.
Unication G4/G5 or SDS100/200 are the only products on the market that will let you monitor what you want. The SDS100 is a true scanner so go that route. Before you buy be an educated consumer and check out the refund policy. While i sort of get not wanting to pay a restocking fee for something, at this point you have no other option as the equipment you have is literally the wrong tool for the job. Sure that flat head might turn that phillips screw but its not designed for it. As far as the whole oh man i have to box it up and ship it back if it doesnt work, i want to say thats just lazy but im sure i will offend someone on the list if i truly made that comment. So i wont.
Your last option is try to make a friend locally who has one and see if they can demo it for you in, at or around your location.
When i got my G4 about 3 years ago i showed it off to a few scanner/radio guys and it made some good impressions hardware wise. One of those guys now owns several.
Are YOU willing to send me $40 for shipping if if doesnt work?

IAmSixNine

Feed Provider
No, id rather see you complain and spend more time trying to fix an issue that cant be fixed.
This is your issue, people have responded and given you solid advice.
At this point in time $40 bucks is a good price to pay to test out a SDS100 and see if it works. Dang, think of it as a rental fee if it helps you justify spending money to listen to stuff around you. Keep it for 2 weeks and break it down to 20 bucks a week to test out a SDS100.
Lazy and foolish are two completely different things. The comment about having to box something up to send it back is such a trivial issue why mention it. Oh man i had to tie my shoes today.. what a drag.. LOL im not mad.. just feel like you have been told by several people and they have done an excellent job explaining why your having the issues and now its down to gee i dont want to have to box something up and spend 40 bucks so i can get 660 bucks back. If you spend 700 and use the device for a few weeks and have to send it back thats worst case scenario. Best case this 700 dollar investment solves your reception issues. Then sell your other scanner and get a couple hundred back.. But i will caution you, that will involve boxing that scanner up and shipping it too. But since your selling it think of it as getting paid to box it up.

long story short, your trying to monitor a simulcast system with a device that fails due to hardware limitations on such a system. Time to upgrade.
Test something new out and enjoy the hobby. The SDS100 is a good unit and specifically designed to fix the issues that you are dealing with.
If money is tight ( thats my reason for not buying one but i have several G4 and a KNG2-P800) then the 40 return fee is nothing and the real issue is the 700 price tag for the SDS100. Which is why i have yet to purchase one. However if it didnt have my other toys i would have 2 of the SDS100.

tvengr

Well Known Member
The SDS100 and SDS200 are the only scanners that will receive the P25 simulcast systems where I live. The G4 and G5 pagers also do an excellent job with 700/800 MHz simulcast systems but can scan only 1 system at a time and cannot hold on a talkgroup while scanning. You can program your main talkgroups into separate knob positions to monitor them one at a time. You have 8 knob positions in each zone. You are limited to scanning 64 talkgroups on a knob position. On a G4, your can monitor only 700/800 MHz. On a G5 you can monitor only UHF/700/800 or VHF/700/800 depending on the model. Neither support Motorola Type 2 systems.

Status
Not open for further replies.